Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir Withdraws from Worlds - Adam Rippon named as Replacement

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I am really worried that the US men will lose one of their spots.

This is not too surprising, considering that Johnny has been doing media rounds rather than training. It will interesting to see what he does- if this is it or he comes back next season. If this is it, at least he will end on a wonderful, if underscored, performance.

Custom Title
    All three guys are top 10 material, but that wont be good enough for 3 spots next year, they need one of them making the top 5 and only Abbott has the potential to place that high right now but he's also the most inconsistent and I highly doubt he'll deliver like he does at nationals. The best the team can hope is perhaps a 6th and 7th place combo from Jeremy & Adam . Bradley is hit and miss and he's not gonna get high PCS from international judges.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zizi31 View Post
    His comment is a bit cryptic. I'm not sure what he's re-working, or why can't go to worlds in 3 weeks and spend the rest of the spring and summer reworking stuff. I'm also not sure what he means by advantageous. Does he feel that another low placement would make his reputation drop in the judges' eyes? He seemed ready to retire after this season; wonder what lit the fire under him? At any rate, I hope that his plan works - Johnny's always been a sentimental favorite of mine.
    I have to say I think he's refreshingly clear and honest. He did the best he possibly he could at the Olympics and still came in 6th. Therefore, he feels that he needs to figure out what didn't work. Can he add more difficulty to his program? Or should he just move on with his life? Basically, he's saying that he decided that there is no point in going to worlds with his same programs from the Olympics because, for whatever reason, they are not good enough in the judge's eyes. And he's saying he needs time to rethink his strategy, but there obviously isn't enough time to make any significant difference before worlds.
    I don't blame him at all. I'd feel very little motivation if I were him to go to worlds and skate my best knowing that it will more than likely not be good enough for a medal. I think he made the right choice.

Whatever he decides, I wish him the best of luck and I'm sure he will be fun to follow whether he keeps competiting, starts his fashion career or skates in shows or all three. He's already made his mark in the skating world, even if it's not the mark he dreamed of his whole life.

So Jeremy is leading the American team. Well, I hope he finally goes out there and skates with the confidence of the winner he should be.

I'm not too disappointed. Evan and Johnny had good Olympics in their own ways. I love watching Jeremy and Ryan skate and can't wait to watch them at worlds. And maybe I'll discover Adam Rippon for myself the way I did Mirai this year. I just want Jeremy and Ryan to be clean. If that happens, I don't care if the U.S. men end up with 1 or three spots next year.

Custom Title
    I'm not really surprised with Johnny's announcement. I hope he's successful in his future endeavors. Meanwhile, I'm happy for Adam! This is his chance to gain experience at his first senior Worlds. I hope all his hard work will finally pay off. I really want to see an SP performance like his TEB one, and an LP skate like his 4CC's outing.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    All three guys are top 10 material, but that wont be good enough for 3 spots next year, they need one of them making the top 5 and only Abbott has the potential to place that high right now but he's also the most inconsistent and I highly doubt he'll deliver like he does at nationals. The best the team can hope is perhaps a 6th and 7th place combo from Jeremy & Adam . Bradley is hit and miss and he's not gonna get high PCS from international judges.
    Jeez, I completely disagree. With Evan, Johnny, Stephane, and I don't know who else missing, I could see Jeremy, Adam and Ryan (or Ryan and Adam) placing, say, 3, 5 and 7. Even if it's 4, 6, and 8, the three spots are easily there.

Jeremy bombed at the Olympics but he did astoundingly well at Nats. No reason he can't pick himself up and return to form. Ryan and Adam have something to prove but they've got it in them to do very well.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    !!!!when did this happen again?

Oh no, that took half my fun away :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Jeez, I completely disagree. With Evan, Johnny, Stephane, and I don't know who else missing, I could see Jeremy, Adam and Ryan (or Ryan and Adam) placing, say, 3, 5 and 7. Even if it's 4, 6, and 8, the three spots are easily there.

Jeremy bombed at the Olympics but he did astoundingly well at Nats. No reason he can't pick himself up and return to form. Ryan and Adam have something to prove but they've got it in them to do very well.
    Really??? Jeremy has been bombing the last 2 world championships PLUS Olympics. Im not holding my hopes for him, Nationals is no the same.But I do want him to prove me wrong though. Now, 3, 5 and 7 is waay too opstimistic. With Plushenko, Chan, the 3 Japanese guys, (that's at least 5 guys who barring meltdowns will place above the american #2, six if you count Abbott) plus lots of up and comers like Brezina & Amodio who will start climbing up the ranks, plus maybe a reivindicated Joubert,Contesti or Verner, it will be hard for the second american guy and even harder if Abbott bombs as usual. its not like Adam and Ryan are icons of consistency. Bradley rarely puts 2 solid programs and Rippon tends to be way back after the SP to gain much ground in the LP.

On the Ice
    Johnny may be giving up his spot next year as well if he really is coming back because it's going to be very difficult to secure 3 spots without both Evan and Johnny. I would have thought Johnny would have had a great chance to get to the podium with all the Evan, Stephane, etc. also withdrawing. Too bad he chose to not train for worlds, have a good result, and then rework his technique. If Adam Rippon makes a big splash at Worlds, I'm thinking the judges are going to give him the heads up on Johnny with his "reworked technique." I think Jeremy is going to redeem himself at Worlds and will be battling Adam for the US crown. Johnny knows this is a selfish and bad move with the USFSA. Evan has no reason to comeback. The parties, reality TV and an ill fated fashion career await Johnny. It was fun while it lasted.

Custom Title
    Very disappointing that Johnny won't be going. He had the opportunity of skating another great performance and making the podium, which he was denied at the Olympics.

I thought he said he was planning to go so it's odd that he's withdrawing at the last moment.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I am really worried that the US men will lose one of their spots.

This is not too surprising, considering that Johnny has been doing media rounds rather than training. It will interesting to see what he does- if this is it or he comes back next season. If this is it, at least he will end on a wonderful, if underscored, performance.
    the three spots were in danger even when Johnny was going. If Johnny could only do as good as 6th with two perfect programs (more or less) and Ryan's history of making stupid pops etc and Jeremy's mental state... I say they were in danger as soon as Evan said he would skip worlds. If Johnny was going it is pretty clear he would not be skating up to Olympic level and I could not see him really moving up from 5th/6th. That means either Jeremey or Ryan would have had to place no lower than 7th, which is not that tall of an order but certainly no garuntee. From what i have seen Adam was peaking at the right time and the judges like him. And he had been training.

I was hoping to see Johnny at Worlds. I'll miss him there for sure, but I am glad that Adam will be going. I understand that Ryan has an injured ankle. Will he still be able to compete there? I hope so!

Wishing the best for Jeremy, Ryan, and Adam!

Johnny, please come back for next season!

Whippet Good!
    Adam won 4CCs. How do his scores compare?

Custom Title
    Sad that Johnny won't be there. Happy for Adam.

I can imagine how hard the Olys hit Johnny. His free skate was beautiful, and the audience even stood up for him, so he had every reason to expect a good score. *sigh* His bio's only listed choreographer is David Wilson, so his coaches had gotten him a CoP-savvy choreographer, but you would never know it from the PCS he received. I'm grateful that Johnny wants to continue competing at all.

Adam is a fine skater, though, and I am glad that Johnny has given him the chance to compete at Worlds. Got to look on the bright side.

I respect Johnny's decision although I am going to miss him in worlds. His statement that he skates competitions for his country and fans doesn't quite fit the picture since I believe he is not interesed in 3 spots for next season.

The 3 spots will depend on Abbott's consistency; Bradley (if he's going) quad; and Adam's 3A. What with Plush, Brian, Dai, Nobu, Kozuka, Brezina, Chan, Contesti, VanderPerren, it's not just consistency but a matter of others faltering.

i see Plush through Brezina as taking up 6 places which leave the US team, with the most difficult combination of 6+7.

We need Evan.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    We'll see about that next season. Your case would be stronger if Johnny hadn't been so good at the Olympics.

Maybe you are right .
    But Johnny doesn't seem to believe in skating for points - and it showed in Vancouver despite two strong performances.

That is why I say Rippon is the future. He is training with Orser/Wilson and they do make sure their skaters are milking CoP for all it is worth.

We will see if Johnny comes back - if so I have a feeling he may be fighting for one of the two spots available to US Men next season. A touch of irony, no?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast