Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir Withdraws from Worlds - Adam Rippon named as Replacement

Custom Title
    I feel that Johnny's statements indicate that he has changed his mind about not skating for points and medals. I think that probably the outcome of the Olys shocked him into re-evaluating a lot of things. Perhaps part of that, is that he now appreciates that his earning high scores gives other USA skaters chances to compete at the biggest competitions. Skating according to one's own standards of art and athleticism does not necessarily result in that, unfortunately.

For skaters like Johnny, who originally trained for 6.0, the rules got changed in the middle of their careers. That has been a blow to the chin of more than one skater. I feel for all of them.

Whatever decisions Johnny makes, I think he has been one of the most naturally graceful male singles skaters I have ever seen, and I shall always remember him that way. With all his grace, he still developed a sublimely athletic triple axel with appropriate outflow, which all too few ever achieve. I consider him a genuine athlete and a genuine artist.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ^ The only thing about that is that Johnny was just interviewed saying he doesn't care how he places, all he cares about is if he knows himself that he did great (and he gave the Olympics as an example). (You can google LA Times.) There seem to be mixed messages.

But as for this:
    Whatever decisions Johnny makes, I think he has been one of the most naturally graceful male singles skaters I have ever seen, and I shall always remember him that way. With all his grace, he still developed a sublimely athletic triple axel with appropriate outflow, which all too few ever achieve. I consider him a genuine athlete and a genuine artist.
    Well put!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    I can imagine how hard the Olys hit Johnny. His free skate was beautiful, and the audience even stood up for him, so he had every reason to expect a good score. *sigh* His bio's only listed choreographer is David Wilson, so his coaches had gotten him a CoP-savvy choreographer, but you would never know it from the PCS he received. I'm grateful that Johnny wants to continue competing at all.
    I find it very hard to believe that the version Weir skated as his freeskate was choreographed in that way originally. Wilson really knows his stuff, and this obviously had been changed into a 6.0 programme which Weir skated in a CoP-competition. And that is the reason why he did not get more PCS scores...
    Last edited by Jaana; 03-10-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I don't think Johnny or Evan are coming back. Jeremy can't seem to peak at the right time. I agree with Janetfan that Adam is the future. This is a great opportunity for him.

Custom Title
    This is probably what Johnny should do. I am not surprised. The next he'll probably announce the retirement. And I won't be surprised if later Evan announces his retirement.

Up to now, Jeremy has only commited to compete for one more season. It'll all up to the new comers soon.

I wanted Adam to go, though i thought he was already a replacement. Iam slightly disappointed Johnny is not going, i love his skating and really thought he may have a chance at a medal. I however wondered with all the interviews, and things he was doing if he would have time to prepare. I think yes me may have really taken notice that he is not rewarded in this system but also he's left himself so little time to prepare. He will be missed, hope he does come back fighting again next season.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    This is probably what Johnny should do. I am not surprised. The next he'll probably announce the retirement. And I won't be surprised if later Evan announces his retirement.

Up to now, Jeremy has only commited to compete for one more season. It'll all up to the new comers soon.
    I would be very surprised to see either Johnny or Evan next season. Johnny has all but comitted to fashion school and said all along that he was only skating up to the 2010 Olympics. I don't know why he have us that story about re-working his technique, if he was serious about that Gaina would have had him on it since September.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I would be very surprised to see either Johnny or Evan next season. Johnny has all but comitted to fashion school and said all along that he was only skating up to the 2010 Olympics. I don't know why he have us that story about re-working his technique, if he was serious about that Gaina would have had him on it since September.
    I agree. Doubt we will see Evan or Johnny competing in ISU events again unless they reinstate pro competitions. Evan really has nothing more to "win" and Johnny will advance his celebrity as much as he can (and skate in shows, etc.) to see where it will lead him. Both may continue to say they will compete but once you announce retirement in the US - you are off the sports news and out of the loop. But Evan's decision to do DWTS may add to his "celebrity" for future endeavers . Look what it did for Kristi Yamaguchi.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post

Well, to be fair he did also say that he was going to reassess his goals if you read his whole statement ... so I took him to mean he was going to take a break and see if he has it in him to rework his skating or if he wants to move on with his life.

My guess is that he will decide to move on. But I don't blame him for keeping his options open a little while longer just in case. Seems normal and it seems like what a lot of skaters do when they reach this kind of crossroads.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Well, to be fair he did also say that he was going to reassess his goals if you read his whole statement ... so I took him to mean he was going to take a break and see if he has it in him to rework his skating or if he wants to move on with his life.

My guess is that he will decide to move on. But I don't blame him for keeping his options open a little while longer just in case. Seems normal and it seems like what a lot of skaters do when they reach this kind of crossroads.
    I have no probelm with him "re-assessing his goals" nor saying as much. I just don't know told him to throw in that bit about reworking. It made an otherwise classy statement look like an outright lie.

Custom Title
    Originally Posted by jennylovskt

I agree. I would be surprised too now that Johnny has dropped out. I was surprise to hear Evan talk about competing next season because I expected him to move on right away but I think he will do it but just a little bit later.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Hey, Jenny, where did you get the info on Jeremy only committing to one more season, at least so far? I think that may be wise for him, but I know many of his fans continue to hope to see him in Sochi. This statement says to me Jeremy may be looking realistically at his skating goals and getting ready to really give it his all next year! Then he could decide if he had it in him to go further. Thanks for any info --

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    Hey, Jenny, where did you get the info on Jeremy only committing to one more season, at least so far? I think that may be wise for him, but I know many of his fans continue to hope to see him in Sochi. This statement says to me Jeremy may be looking realistically at his skating goals and getting ready to really give it his all next year! Then he could decide if he had it in him to go further. Thanks for any info --
    On his official facebook http://ms-my.facebook.com/JeremyAbbottPCF - it updates quite often and fast. You might need to go down quite a bit to find the info about this. I think it might be in the second week during Vancouver Olympics or later time. Also he has had an interview after this year's Nationals where he said that. I was hoping he could skate more seasons, not just one more. But so far he hasn't changed that yet. Also, on SOI website, said that he'll perform in all 41 cities across USA in Stars On Ice this spring.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-11-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Custom Title
    I´m surprised that Weir left his announcement not to participate in WC this late. To me it is obvious that he had no plans to participate at all. Why else would he have done all those TV-shows, etc. and even tried to get onto DWTS? It was clear that he had no time or wish to concentrate on his skating career and prepare for Worlds. My guess is that this is the end of his eligible skating career. As he obviously is not able to adapt to the CoP-system, I can see it as a sensible solution.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I think people are jumping to conclusions but we just have to wait and see. My guess is that he was overwhelmed with the media response after the Olympics and felt it was impossible to turn down such a once in a lifetime moment in the spotlight. That might have made Worlds impossible but I don't think it rules out another season, which he was strongly suggesting would happen right after the Olympics. At that point he said he was going to meet with FIT about doing some kind of correspondence studies while he continued to train and compete.

In short, I think his great skates and enthusiastic audience response encouraged him to continue. Then came the media which took him away from skating for a while. AFAIK, that's all the info we have.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast