Johnny Weir Withdraws from Worlds - Adam Rippon named as Replacement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Withdraws from Worlds - Adam Rippon named as Replacement

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Jeez, I completely disagree. With Evan, Johnny, Stephane, and I don't know who else missing, I could see Jeremy, Adam and Ryan (or Ryan and Adam) placing, say, 3, 5 and 7. Even if it's 4, 6, and 8, the three spots are easily there.

Jeremy bombed at the Olympics but he did astoundingly well at Nats. No reason he can't pick himself up and return to form. Ryan and Adam have something to prove but they've got it in them to do very well.

Really??? Jeremy has been bombing the last 2 world championships PLUS Olympics. Im not holding my hopes for him, Nationals is no the same.But I do want him to prove me wrong though. Now, 3, 5 and 7 is waay too opstimistic. With Plushenko, Chan, the 3 Japanese guys, (that's at least 5 guys who barring meltdowns will place above the american #2, six if you count Abbott) plus lots of up and comers like Brezina & Amodio who will start climbing up the ranks, plus maybe a reivindicated Joubert,Contesti or Verner, it will be hard for the second american guy and even harder if Abbott bombs as usual. its not like Adam and Ryan are icons of consistency. Bradley rarely puts 2 solid programs and Rippon tends to be way back after the SP to gain much ground in the LP.

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
Johnny may be giving up his spot next year as well if he really is coming back because it's going to be very difficult to secure 3 spots without both Evan and Johnny. I would have thought Johnny would have had a great chance to get to the podium with all the Evan, Stephane, etc. also withdrawing. Too bad he chose to not train for worlds, have a good result, and then rework his technique. If Adam Rippon makes a big splash at Worlds, I'm thinking the judges are going to give him the heads up on Johnny with his "reworked technique." I think Jeremy is going to redeem himself at Worlds and will be battling Adam for the US crown. Johnny knows this is a selfish and bad move with the USFSA. Evan has no reason to comeback. The parties, reality TV and an ill fated fashion career await Johnny. It was fun while it lasted.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Very disappointing that Johnny won't be going. He had the opportunity of skating another great performance and making the podium, which he was denied at the Olympics.

I thought he said he was planning to go so it's odd that he's withdrawing at the last moment.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am really worried that the US men will lose one of their spots.

This is not too surprising, considering that Johnny has been doing media rounds rather than training. It will interesting to see what he does- if this is it or he comes back next season. If this is it, at least he will end on a wonderful, if underscored, performance.

the three spots were in danger even when Johnny was going. If Johnny could only do as good as 6th with two perfect programs (more or less) and Ryan's history of making stupid pops etc and Jeremy's mental state... I say they were in danger as soon as Evan said he would skip worlds. If Johnny was going it is pretty clear he would not be skating up to Olympic level and I could not see him really moving up from 5th/6th. That means either Jeremey or Ryan would have had to place no lower than 7th, which is not that tall of an order but certainly no garuntee. From what i have seen Adam was peaking at the right time and the judges like him. And he had been training.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was hoping to see Johnny at Worlds. I'll miss him there for sure, but I am glad that Adam will be going. I understand that Ryan has an injured ankle. Will he still be able to compete there? I hope so!

Wishing the best for Jeremy, Ryan, and Adam!

Johnny, please come back for next season!

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Sad that Johnny won't be there. Happy for Adam.

I can imagine how hard the Olys hit Johnny. His free skate was beautiful, and the audience even stood up for him, so he had every reason to expect a good score. *sigh* His bio's only listed choreographer is David Wilson, so his coaches had gotten him a CoP-savvy choreographer, but you would never know it from the PCS he received. I'm grateful that Johnny wants to continue competing at all.

Adam is a fine skater, though, and I am glad that Johnny has given him the chance to compete at Worlds. Got to look on the bright side.

I respect Johnny's decision although I am going to miss him in worlds. His statement that he skates competitions for his country and fans doesn't quite fit the picture since I believe he is not interesed in 3 spots for next season.

The 3 spots will depend on Abbott's consistency; Bradley (if he's going) quad; and Adam's 3A. What with Plush, Brian, Dai, Nobu, Kozuka, Brezina, Chan, Contesti, VanderPerren, it's not just consistency but a matter of others faltering.

i see Plush through Brezina as taking up 6 places which leave the US team, with the most difficult combination of 6+7.

We need Evan.

janetfan

Match Penalty
We'll see about that next season. Your case would be stronger if Johnny hadn't been so good at the Olympics.

Maybe you are right .
But Johnny doesn't seem to believe in skating for points - and it showed in Vancouver despite two strong performances.

That is why I say Rippon is the future. He is training with Orser/Wilson and they do make sure their skaters are milking CoP for all it is worth.

We will see if Johnny comes back - if so I have a feeling he may be fighting for one of the two spots available to US Men next season. A touch of irony, no?

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I feel that Johnny's statements indicate that he has changed his mind about not skating for points and medals. I think that probably the outcome of the Olys shocked him into re-evaluating a lot of things. Perhaps part of that, is that he now appreciates that his earning high scores gives other USA skaters chances to compete at the biggest competitions. Skating according to one's own standards of art and athleticism does not necessarily result in that, unfortunately.

For skaters like Johnny, who originally trained for 6.0, the rules got changed in the middle of their careers. That has been a blow to the chin of more than one skater. I feel for all of them.

Whatever decisions Johnny makes, I think he has been one of the most naturally graceful male singles skaters I have ever seen, and I shall always remember him that way. With all his grace, he still developed a sublimely athletic triple axel with appropriate outflow, which all too few ever achieve. I consider him a genuine athlete and a genuine artist.

^ The only thing about that is that Johnny was just interviewed saying he doesn't care how he places, all he cares about is if he knows himself that he did great (and he gave the Olympics as an example). (You can google LA Times.) There seem to be mixed messages.

But as for this:
Whatever decisions Johnny makes, I think he has been one of the most naturally graceful male singles skaters I have ever seen, and I shall always remember him that way. With all his grace, he still developed a sublimely athletic triple axel with appropriate outflow, which all too few ever achieve. I consider him a genuine athlete and a genuine artist.
Well put!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I can imagine how hard the Olys hit Johnny. His free skate was beautiful, and the audience even stood up for him, so he had every reason to expect a good score. *sigh* His bio's only listed choreographer is David Wilson, so his coaches had gotten him a CoP-savvy choreographer, but you would never know it from the PCS he received. I'm grateful that Johnny wants to continue competing at all.

I find it very hard to believe that the version Weir skated as his freeskate was choreographed in that way originally. Wilson really knows his stuff, and this obviously had been changed into a 6.0 programme which Weir skated in a CoP-competition. And that is the reason why he did not get more PCS scores...

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
I don't think Johnny or Evan are coming back. Jeremy can't seem to peak at the right time. I agree with Janetfan that Adam is the future. This is a great opportunity for him.

jennylovskt

Medalist
This is probably what Johnny should do. I am not surprised. The next he'll probably announce the retirement. And I won't be surprised if later Evan announces his retirement.;)

Up to now, Jeremy has only commited to compete for one more season. It'll all up to the new comers soon.

figuristka

Medalist
I wanted Adam to go, though i thought he was already a replacement. Iam slightly disappointed Johnny is not going, i love his skating and really thought he may have a chance at a medal. I however wondered with all the interviews, and things he was doing if he would have time to prepare. I think yes me may have really taken notice that he is not rewarded in this system but also he's left himself so little time to prepare. He will be missed, hope he does come back fighting again next season.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This is probably what Johnny should do. I am not surprised. The next he'll probably announce the retirement. And I won't be surprised if later Evan announces his retirement.;)

Up to now, Jeremy has only commited to compete for one more season. It'll all up to the new comers soon.

I would be very surprised to see either Johnny or Evan next season. Johnny has all but comitted to fashion school and said all along that he was only skating up to the 2010 Olympics. I don't know why he have us that story about re-working his technique, if he was serious about that Gaina would have had him on it since September.

KKonas

Medalist
I would be very surprised to see either Johnny or Evan next season. Johnny has all but comitted to fashion school and said all along that he was only skating up to the 2010 Olympics. I don't know why he have us that story about re-working his technique, if he was serious about that Gaina would have had him on it since September.

I agree. Doubt we will see Evan or Johnny competing in ISU events again unless they reinstate pro competitions. Evan really has nothing more to "win" and Johnny will advance his celebrity as much as he can (and skate in shows, etc.) to see where it will lead him. Both may continue to say they will compete but once you announce retirement in the US - you are off the sports news and out of the loop. But Evan's decision to do DWTS may add to his "celebrity" for future endeavers . Look what it did for Kristi Yamaguchi.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Well, to be fair he did also say that he was going to reassess his goals if you read his whole statement ... so I took him to mean he was going to take a break and see if he has it in him to rework his skating or if he wants to move on with his life.

My guess is that he will decide to move on. But I don't blame him for keeping his options open a little while longer just in case. Seems normal and it seems like what a lot of skaters do when they reach this kind of crossroads.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well, to be fair he did also say that he was going to reassess his goals if you read his whole statement ... so I took him to mean he was going to take a break and see if he has it in him to rework his skating or if he wants to move on with his life.

My guess is that he will decide to move on. But I don't blame him for keeping his options open a little while longer just in case. Seems normal and it seems like what a lot of skaters do when they reach this kind of crossroads.

I have no probelm with him "re-assessing his goals" nor saying as much. I just don't know told him to throw in that bit about reworking. It made an otherwise classy statement look like an outright lie.