Johnny Weir Withdraws from Worlds - Adam Rippon named as Replacement | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Withdraws from Worlds - Adam Rippon named as Replacement

lavender

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by jennylovskt
This is probably what Johnny should do. I am not surprised. The next he'll probably announce the retirement. And I won't be surprised if later Evan announces his retirement.

Up to now, Jeremy has only commited to compete for one more season. It'll all up to the new comers soon.

I agree. I would be surprised too now that Johnny has dropped out. I was surprise to hear Evan talk about competing next season because I expected him to move on right away but I think he will do it but just a little bit later.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Up to now, Jeremy has only commited to compete for one more season. It'll all up to the new comers soon.

Hey, Jenny, where did you get the info on Jeremy only committing to one more season, at least so far? I think that may be wise for him, but I know many of his fans continue to hope to see him in Sochi. This statement says to me Jeremy may be looking realistically at his skating goals and getting ready to really give it his all next year! Then he could decide if he had it in him to go further. Thanks for any info --

jennylovskt

Medalist
Hey, Jenny, where did you get the info on Jeremy only committing to one more season, at least so far? I think that may be wise for him, but I know many of his fans continue to hope to see him in Sochi. This statement says to me Jeremy may be looking realistically at his skating goals and getting ready to really give it his all next year! Then he could decide if he had it in him to go further. Thanks for any info --

On his official facebook http://ms-my.facebook.com/JeremyAbbottPCF - it updates quite often and fast. You might need to go down quite a bit to find the info about this. I think it might be in the second week during Vancouver Olympics or later time. Also he has had an interview after this year's Nationals where he said that. I was hoping he could skate more seasons, not just one more. But so far he hasn't changed that yet. Also, on SOI website, said that he'll perform in all 41 cities across USA in Stars On Ice this spring.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m surprised that Weir left his announcement not to participate in WC this late. To me it is obvious that he had no plans to participate at all. Why else would he have done all those TV-shows, etc. and even tried to get onto DWTS? It was clear that he had no time or wish to concentrate on his skating career and prepare for Worlds. My guess is that this is the end of his eligible skating career. As he obviously is not able to adapt to the CoP-system, I can see it as a sensible solution.

I think people are jumping to conclusions but we just have to wait and see. My guess is that he was overwhelmed with the media response after the Olympics and felt it was impossible to turn down such a once in a lifetime moment in the spotlight. That might have made Worlds impossible but I don't think it rules out another season, which he was strongly suggesting would happen right after the Olympics. At that point he said he was going to meet with FIT about doing some kind of correspondence studies while he continued to train and compete.

In short, I think his great skates and enthusiastic audience response encouraged him to continue. Then came the media which took him away from skating for a while. AFAIK, that's all the info we have.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think people are jumping to conclusions but we just have to wait and see. My guess is that he was overwhelmed with the media response after the Olympics and felt it was impossible to turn down such a once in a lifetime moment in the spotlight. That might have made Worlds impossible but I don't think it rules out another season, which he was strongly suggesting would happen right after the Olympics. At that point he said he was going to meet with FIT about doing some kind of correspondence studies while he continued to train and compete.

In short, I think his great skates and enthusiastic audience response encouraged him to continue. Then came the media which took him away from skating for a while. AFAIK, that's all the info we have.

For now I think you are right. All the other talk is mostly speculation. Evan siad he needed a break from skating/training and Johnny probably needs one too. They both put in alot of training time leading into Vancouver and have some different opportunities right now.

I have a feeling neither one of them knows what will happen with their competitive skating careers at the moment. They could both comeback or both retire. Or they could be like so many other skaters and retire for a while and then return.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Evan siad he needed a break from skating/training

It was known already before the Olympics, that Evan will not participate in Worlds. As a team-player he gave the chance for the substitute to have time for serious practicing.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It was known already before the Olympics, that Evan will not participate in Worlds. As a team-player he gave the chance for the substitute to have time for serious practicing.

Actually Evan sent Ryan a message AFTER the Olympics telling him he had made up his mind and would not be going to Worlds.

If Evan had bombed at the Olympics I doubt if he would have skipped Worlds. He just seems too competitive to have gone out on such a low note.
But I think it is hard for fans to know just what skaters are thinking.

Evan and Johnny are skipping Worlds but neither has announced his retirement.
I suspect neither of them knows for sure right now whether they will resume serious training for competitive events next season. Alot could depend on various opportunities they are considering.

It doesn't sound like Adam was caught off guard - it sounds like the opposite in fact. He has been training hard and Worlds will be a good opportunity and experience for him.

Last edited:
Adam's big jump is an iffy 3A, If he lands it, will he be podium bound? His spins are more than adequate and is Flow is second to none.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Adam's big jump is an iffy 3A, If he lands it, will he be podium bound? His spins are more than adequate and is Flow is second to none.

His back is pumping when he's doing backward crossovers. It just bothers me greatly.:disapp: