Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Johnny Weir Withdraws from Worlds - Adam Rippon named as Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I think people are jumping to conclusions but we just have to wait and see. My guess is that he was overwhelmed with the media response after the Olympics and felt it was impossible to turn down such a once in a lifetime moment in the spotlight. That might have made Worlds impossible but I don't think it rules out another season, which he was strongly suggesting would happen right after the Olympics. At that point he said he was going to meet with FIT about doing some kind of correspondence studies while he continued to train and compete.

In short, I think his great skates and enthusiastic audience response encouraged him to continue. Then came the media which took him away from skating for a while. AFAIK, that's all the info we have.
    For now I think you are right. All the other talk is mostly speculation. Evan siad he needed a break from skating/training and Johnny probably needs one too. They both put in alot of training time leading into Vancouver and have some different opportunities right now.

I have a feeling neither one of them knows what will happen with their competitive skating careers at the moment. They could both comeback or both retire. Or they could be like so many other skaters and retire for a while and then return.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Evan siad he needed a break from skating/training
    It was known already before the Olympics, that Evan will not participate in Worlds. As a team-player he gave the chance for the substitute to have time for serious practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    It was known already before the Olympics, that Evan will not participate in Worlds. As a team-player he gave the chance for the substitute to have time for serious practicing.
    Actually Evan sent Ryan a message AFTER the Olympics telling him he had made up his mind and would not be going to Worlds.

If Evan had bombed at the Olympics I doubt if he would have skipped Worlds. He just seems too competitive to have gone out on such a low note.
    But I think it is hard for fans to know just what skaters are thinking.

Evan and Johnny are skipping Worlds but neither has announced his retirement.
    I suspect neither of them knows for sure right now whether they will resume serious training for competitive events next season. Alot could depend on various opportunities they are considering.

It doesn't sound like Adam was caught off guard - it sounds like the opposite in fact. He has been training hard and Worlds will be a good opportunity and experience for him.
    Last edited by janetfan; 03-12-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Adam's big jump is an iffy 3A, If he lands it, will he be podium bound? His spins are more than adequate and is Flow is second to none.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Adam's big jump is an iffy 3A, If he lands it, will he be podium bound? His spins are more than adequate and is Flow is second to none.
    His back is pumping when he's doing backward crossovers. It just bothers me greatly.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    His back is pumping when he's doing backward crossovers. It just bothers me greatly.
    Me too!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4