Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The USA Needs 13 Points in 3 Disciplines

Hybrid View

The USA Needs 13 Points in 3 Disciplines

The events have to be breathtaking:

The Men. I am hoping for a 6+7

The Ladies. I am hoping for a 5+ 8 but I'll settle for a 6+7

The Pairs. I am hoping for a 6+7 maybe even better.

The Ice Dance. Should not be a problem.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I think Pairs is the least likely discipline to arrive at 13. I totally expect the usual 2 spots. Best case scenario I foresee is 8 + 9.

I think Mirai and Rachael, Jeremy and Adam, and D/W and S/B should be able to arrive at 13 together.

I think Jeremy needs to take a page out of Lysacek's handbook and skate a more conservative program without the quad. If he plays it safe and skates both programs clean, he could potentially win the World title.

If I were him, I would make this my layout for the LP:

3Lutz
    3flip
    3Axel
    2Axel
    x3Axel+2toe
    x3Lutz+3toe+2loop
    x3loop
    x3Salchow+2toe
    Last edited by museksk8r; 03-10-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I think Jeremy needs to take a page out of Lysacek's handbook and skate a more conservative program without the quad. If he plays it safe and skates both programs clean, he could potentially win the World title.
    If Jeremy is uninjured, I sure hope that he will jump all his jumps. For some time Evan has not tried to jump quad (except in 2010 US Nationals), because he has had an injury, which quad practicing has caused. That injury was first mentioned already in 2009 Worlds. I have understood that he had a cast in his foot after the skating season ended for him. That same injury came back as he tried to practice the quad.
    Last edited by Jaana; 03-11-2010 at 01:40 PM.

I think the US has a good shot in dance, with D&W almost guaranteed the podium and S&B LIKELY to place in the top 10. I'm not sure how Navarro and Bommentre will fare - I'm guessing prob. a couple spots below S&B?

For ladies, there's a realistic shot too, Rachael is likely not to place lower than the middle of the top 10, with her consistency. Mirai will probably do the same or even better.

In pairs I don't think they have any hope, looking at the Olympics placements. E&L and D&B would need a lot of implosions from other teams to get into the middle of the top 10.

Men.. this one is hard to call. I'm not familiar enough with Adam Rippon and he is young. Jeremy could be 2nd, 3rd, 9th, or 15th lol - depends on which Jeremy shows up. Ryan hasn't gone to Worlds much, and he's injured but if he lands all those quads he could be on the podium.

Custom Title
    Originally Posted by museksk8r
    This is the reason that CoP has to be changed. Must everybody skate a play-safe program in order to win?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    If Jeremy is uninjured, I sure hope that he will jump all his jumps. For some time Evan has not tried to jump quad (except in 2010 US Nationals), because he has had an injury, which quad practicing has caused. That injury was first mentioned already in 2009 Worlds. I have understood that he had a cast in his foot after the skating season ended for him. That same injury came back as he tried to practice the quad.
    If Lysacek had landed that quad at the Nationals, the story would probably be different.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-11-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    This is the reason that CoP has to be changed. Must everybody skate a play-safe program in order to win?
    No, it just seems that the men that regularly attempt quads are the men that are prone to making mistakes in their programs. I mean think about it, who regularly attempts quads? Joubert, Verner, Abbott, Bradley. They also mess up a lot. Plushenko wins so many competitions because he does quads and is consistent and usually clean. I tend to think the mental focus on the quad makes it hard for the skater to skate the rest of the program in a good mindset - if you fall on the quad, then you are POed and wished you didn't try it, and if you do land it, you get excited and lose focus in the rest of the program, not to mention the quad uses up a lot of energy. Who knows though.

I would agree that pairs is the most iffy, but not totally impossible. I think D/B have a fire in their belly for that less-than-great Olympics short program. I see top 10 finishes for the both of them. But it will take some extra effort to get into the top 7.

I agree with many of you that Men is a big question mark because all three could finish anywhere in the standings.

Ice Dance shouldn't be a problem.

I think Mirai and Rachael gave their notice at the Olympics with 4th and 7th place finishes, so I think it's totally doable.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    No, it just seems that the men that regularly attempt quads are the men that are prone to making mistakes in their programs. I mean think about it, who regularly attempts quads? Joubert, Verner, Abbott, Bradley. They also mess up a lot. Plushenko wins so many competitions because he does quads and is consistent and usually clean. I tend to think the mental focus on the quad makes it hard for the skater to skate the rest of the program in a good mindset - if you fall on the quad, then you are POed and wished you didn't try it, and if you do land it, you get excited and lose focus in the rest of the program, not to mention the quad uses up a lot of energy. Who knows though.
    If you cannot stay focused in a program, you need to work with a sports psychologist. These guys (Joubert, Verner, Abbott and Bradley) have been landing quads for a long time, so it shouldn't cause excitement if they do. If you get that excited, obviously it's not consistent and shouldn't be in your program. We have these debates all the time at our rink about program content. We (my coaches and I) have removed my most difficult jump for competition because it's just too inconsistent and I am too focused on it to the detriment of the rest of the program. If these guys are in the same boat, they need to dumb it down or work harder on the consistency.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    It does help to be clean and consistent all the elements you do choose to skate to. It happens to be that most of the quad skaters aren't consistent.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Evan landed the quad at 2007 and 2008 nationals, and has tried it at several international competitions.

Custom Title
    Ladies: Quite plausible. Japan is guaranteed three, unless there's an injury to Ando/Asada AND Suzuki bombs. I cannot think of a configuration of the top ten that prevents it from happening, truth be told. I think Canada needs to be more concerned about keeping two spots, frankly here.

Men: No idea. I think it'll be up to Abbott, though. Rippon and Bradley are both potential top ten candidates, but just barely, so Abbott needs to podium. Fingers crossed.

Pairs: Doubtful, if everyone but S/Z and V/M shows up.

Ice Dance: Yeah, no problem. Who's gonna be the third US team? Is it NavBom or Chock/Zurlein?

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Who's gonna be the third US team? Is it NavBom or Chock/Zurlein?
    NavBom. I think a clean, conservative Jeremy is on the podium, increasing the likelihood of the men getting to 13.

Custom Title
    joesitz-
    i somewhat agree with you

however i think girls should go a 4-7 like at olympics or 5 or 8. but will settle for 6 &7
    men might be a problem, i am hoping for a 6 & 7 --jeremy might medal but holding out top 6, hoping either adam or ryan can get to 7th
    pairs will get two- lucky if get 3 with a 6 & 7 (i am hoping)
    dance-more than likely get 3 ,but can see a 3& 10 or 2 & 11 or see a 3 & 12.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Actually the dance is not THAT tied up with Tanith and Ben not going. If Davis and White get another Silver as we expect, Samuelson and Bates have to place no lower than 11th. I expect them to be around 8th. Dance is not that surprsing, but they have had weird falls in the past.

I'm not really worried about the ladies at all. Amazing that with only two young girls we have a great chance of getting three spots when last year we failed to do so with three condendors at worlds in our home country. Both Mirai and Racheal have been skating right on the whole second half of the season and both have something to prove from the Olympics, Mirai that she has arrived for good, Racheal to get some vengence for those downgrades.

The pairs....sorry. Not going to happen. Love them both though.

The Men are iffy. Jeremey could either win or be down in 14th.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Actually the dance is not THAT tied up with Tanith and Ben not going. If Davis and White get another Silver as we expect, Samuelson and Bates have to place no lower than 11th. I expect them to be around 8th. Dance is not that surprsing, but they have had weird falls in the past.

I'm not really worried about the ladies at all. Amazing that with only two young girls we have a great chance of getting three spots when last year we failed to do so with three condendors at worlds in our home country. Both Mirai and Racheal have been skating right on the whole second half of the season and both have something to prove from the Olympics, Mirai that she has arrived for good, Racheal to get some vengence for those downgrades.

The pairs....sorry. Not going to happen. Love them both though.

The Men are iffy. Jeremey could either win or be down in 14th.
    We didn't have three ladies last year in LA- we only had two: Rachael and Alissa. The last time we had three was in 2008, when Ashely, Bebe, and Kimmie competed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast