The USA Needs 13 Points in 3 Disciplines | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The USA Needs 13 Points in 3 Disciplines

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think he'll get the PCS to do it. I know he's got the quads, but his lutz and axel are both iffy. The fact that he beat those three isn't all that noteworthy as I expect internationally he wouldn't have if they skated closer to their potential.

Denis Ten competes too much. Period. He's gone from Senior Grand Prix Events to 4CC to the Olympics to junior and now senior worlds. I don't expect him to do well.

As people point out, men's is deep and inconsistent. I'm just going with what my survey says. If I'm wrong... well, I've been wrong before and the world still turns.... :D

Bradley could potentially beat Abbott if Jeremy has his usual worlds meltdown. Realistically there are about 4 people guarunteed to beat Bradley - Plushenko, Oda, Kozuka, Chan. Beyond that it's anyone's game, I mean Abbott, Verner, and Takahashi are probably the best skaters at the event but no one knows if they will be 2nd or 5th or 20th, or 4th in the SP and then 20th in the FS or vice versa. Lysacek, Weir, Lambiel won't be there and I think Joubert's ego has been pretty badly bruised so I remain skeptical of his chances here. The little boys tend to do well but usually make a few mistakes and will likely get lower PCS than Bradley. Where it will be Bradley's last competition I have the feeling he might do well here.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Be ware, just when almost everybody tends to write him down or even write him off, Jeremy Abbott may rise up unexpectedly like this year's Nationals.;)

The critical thing is his mind set. Jeremy's been on Nationals pewter's place for two years in a roll. Then he decided that was enough. It was time to stand up. The third year, he won the Nationals. This year was his only chance to be an Olympian - his dream since he was four years old. He got it by focusing his every possible effort into it. Then I assume that he relaxed a little bit. So he didn't get to focus enough at the Olympics.

He's been on the biggest world stage for three years. In the last two times Worlds, he both got 11th place. This year at the Olympics, he got the 9th place. If he himself decides that enough is enough. He might be able to rise up this time.:)

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mirai -- Olympics were among the few events in which she did not get DG. Judges were relatively generous about DGs in general (except for Rachael in LP, but she got the benefit of doubt twice in SP so that it won't make much difference). But I wonder if her jumps continue to be ratified by different panels.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I certainly hope so - he's too good not to get a worlds medal before his career is over. I don't know when that'll be, of course. re Abbott.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I certainly hope so - he's too good not to get a worlds medal before his career is over. I don't know when that'll be, of course. re Abbott.

Hopefully soon. I felt his 9th place at the Olympics was a bit generous, his score of 150 in the LP was not really deserved - he made a LOT of mistakes and was really just out of his element. It's such a shame too, because when he is on, he is a triumph, but at the Olympics despite his respectable 9th place finish, he was not a triumph in either program. He should take advantage of no Evan, Johnny, and Stephane being at Worlds and really put his best out there. If he does, I bet he will medal, and maybe even beat Plushenko! :agree:

If we use the word inconsistent literally and not derrogatorially , it also means that sometimes a skater is consistent. The consensus of the thread is that every skater is inconstistent (bad way) except for Evgeni. But among the other top ten, I would presume 5 will be consistent on those days of judgement, if not more than 5.

Have you ever seen Brian, Dai, Nobu, Tomas, Ryan Patrick, Jeremy, Adam skate a clean routine? I have. If two of them do, we have the podium. Predictions are out of the question because they would only be 'hopefuls'.

If we believe a non-reputation skater to slip on the podium, we have Amodio, Michal, Ten, Takahiko, Samuel, Artem

We have a heluva roster of hopefuls here - all would-be winners, but only 3 will inherit the podium.

Let' worry about whether we will see them all do their thing. Any good computer streams working?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If we use the word inconsistent literally and not derrogatorially , it also means that sometimes a skater is consistent. The consensus of the thread is that every skater is inconstistent (bad way) except for Evgeni. But among the other top ten, I would presume 5 will be consistent on those days of judgement, if not more than 5.

Have you ever seen Brian, Dai, Nobu, Tomas, Ryan Patrick, Jeremy, Adam skate a clean routine? I have. If two of them do, we have the podium. Predictions are out of the question because they would only be 'hopefuls'.

If we believe a non-reputation skater to slip on the podium, we have Amodio, Michal, Ten, Takahiko, Samuel, Artem

We have a heluva roster of hopefuls here - all would-be winners, but only 3 will inherit the podium.

Let' worry about whether we will see them all do their thing. Any good computer streams working?

Excellent point. I couldn't agree more. In order to be known as inconsistent or headcases, you have to be good some of the time, otherwise you'd just be known as a bad skater. It will be exciting to see who does their thing, I really hope they all do, because then it would be a GREAT competition :love:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I apologize if it has been posted somewhere I didn't see.

Jeremy Abbott says, "This one's for me."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100317&content_id=8814942&vkey=ice_news

"Going in to nationals, I honestly wasn't concerned about the result at all. I was so focused on my performance and just putting out a good, solid program," Abbott, 25, said.

"Then I made the Olympic team and all my focus just went straight out. I was really aware of it, but I just couldn't figure out how to change my mindset. I talked to people and tried to do everything I could to change how I was viewing things, because I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't make that switch. The result obviously spoke for itself."

"I'm feeling a lot more confident and relaxed going into Torino than I did Vancouver," he said. "I'm excited to go to worlds and really just skate for myself this time, and not get so caught up in the results and the whole hype of it.

"I really learned a lot from the Olympics and going through something that immense and big and fantastic. Worlds last year was also huge. The year before was even bigger, because I wasn't even expecting to go [Abbott was named to the team when Lysacek got injured]. I'm still so excited and honored any time I compete for the U.S., but it's just not this overwhelming, huge competition it used to be. I'm really excited to go in and just be focused on the performance and not be worried by the outcome."

OT:

In SOI tour after the Worlds:

Abbott plans to perform to Michael Buble's "It's at this Moment," as well as a portion of his competitive free skate, in the show.

:love::love::love:

Last edited:
I think when Abbott is "on" he is the closest skater to the whole package. But he has a problem with being "on". His changing attitude should be dropped and he should be about what Frank Carroll tells his skaters.

It is NOT about gold, silver or bronze, but it is about showing what one does best. No need to worry about anything else. If a skater has had good practices of his program leading up to the
event, there is no reason to worry about medals if someone skates better. The test is just for skating at one's pinnacle. Making an impression is what every skater should strive for, and often enough it produces medals.

Evgeni is a gold medal skater and that is the toughest position to be in when one takes the ice for his program. IMO, he is the only one in that position, so let him face those nerves. All other skaters have to do is ensure they skate their best. Easier said than done, but it is more advantageous than taking risks or falling apart for an error. Skip the Quad if it has been lately problematic, and if one misses it, don't go bobbling the rest of the program. Just be a STAR with one's own program.

How many skaters are still loved although they never won an Oly or even a World? One cant do any better than their best.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
With Tomas withdrawing, it just got easier for the US guys.

Yeah, and I'm still not convinced Joubert and Contesti will be on their game, I think it was actually smart of Tomas to withdraw, I feel like Joubert might want this too much and end up bombing again because he is not in the best form due to injury and not in the best mindset due to the coach drama and dissapointment of the olympics. If Ryan performs like he did at nationals and Adam like he did at 4CC I'd be surprised if they both didn't make the top 10.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think the 3 U.S men should place decent standing. The only challenger are Plushy, PChan and the Japanese trio of Takahashi, Oda and Kazuko.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
If Jeremy is uninjured, I sure hope that he will jump all his jumps. For some time Evan has not tried to jump quad (except in 2010 US Nationals), because he has had an injury, which quad practicing has caused. That injury was first mentioned already in 2009 Worlds. I have understood that he had a cast in his foot after the skating season ended for him. That same injury came back as he tried to practice the quad.

Evan landed the quad at 2007 and 2008 nationals, and has tried it at several international competitions.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Aren't there just two Frenchmen- Joubert and Amodio?

Oh guess so. I assumed where there were 3 at the Olympics there would be 3 at worlds too. We'll see how Brian does here, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Doesn't the results of Euros have an affect on who is elligible for Worlds? (But I am not sure.) In the US, the 4cc doesn't mean all that much.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I apologize if it has been posted somewhere I didn't see.

Jeremy Abbott says, "This one's for me."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100317&content_id=8814942&vkey=ice_news

OT:

In SOI tour after the Worlds:

:love::love::love:

Thanks for sharing those comments.
I'm rooting for the guy but these comments only make me feel more uneasy. Every time a skater says things like that it never seems to bode well. How many times did we hear Alissa Czisny saying oh, yes, my confidence is way higher, I've learned a lot from last year or the last competition or whatever....
Jeremy should just say to himself or to the world that he messed up like skaters sometimes do and that he'll try his best at worlds like he always intends to. All this trying to assure everybody that everything is different a month later and that this time he is really ready mentally ... how does he know? He doesn't. The fact that he's banging on about his own mental toughness tells me that he's still too focused on the end result and not on focusing on each element at a time.
But of course, all that is way easier said that done ... I hope he proves me wrong b/c he's one of my favorites.