Law Against Miscarraiges?! | Golden Skate

Law Against Miscarraiges?!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Well - let's be fair here, it's not really a law against miscarriages. It is a law against trying to navigate around the anti-abortion laws.

Having said that, it saddens me to see laws like this. In fact, the incident that led to this law being enacted is exactly the reason why we SHOULDN'T have anti-abortion laws. As experiences in countries all over the world showed, women will usually find ways to terminate pregnancies - and those ways are too often dangerous to their future fertility and even their lives. My grandmother started practicing medicine in Russia back when abortions were illegal; things she's seen as a result are truly horrifying. In fact, it could very well be that had the girl in question gone to a clinic, she might have gotten the advice regarding adoption; an able councilor should have been able to explain to her that with only two months to go, delivering the baby would have surely been a safer alternative.

Now, for a truly outrageous (IMHO) law regarding abortion, take a look at this one in Oklahoma: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-house-passes-ultrasound-anti-abortion-bill/article/3443299. The previous version has been struck down on a technicality, but now the ugly thing is back. I absolutely cannot believe a law like that is legal in the US.

Edited to add a link to this lovely story from Iowa: http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com...ed-for-falling-down-the-stairs-while-pregnant

Last edited:

decker

On the Ice
In practical effect, I think it is an anti-miscarriage law. Every woman who experiences an accident during pregnancy will be subjected to a witch hunt if this law goes into effect IMHO.

Another midwestern state -- Kansas, maybe -- has passed a law requiring doctors to publish information on individual abortions. Names and addresses are not required, but county of residence is. In rural, low-population areas, information such as race, age, marital status, etc. can easily be combined to identity the person.

skatingbc

Final Flight
You're right, Ptichka, that it is not really a law against miscarriages. In my opinion, however, the law is treading down a slippery slope. I agree with decker about the witchhunt phenomena. That is exactly what I thought of when I first read the story. I immediately thought of all the poor women who are now going to be subjected to questioning during one of the most terrible, traumatic times in their life. Absolutely wrong.

Those other links were horrifying! Absolutely disgusting.