Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fumie wants to continue, but needs to get a sponsor by the end of March

Fumie wants to continue, but needs to get a sponsor by the end of March

Fumie has been searching for a sponsor since Jan to continue skating. She needs 20,000,000 yen (1USD = 90 yen; US$220,921).

If she can't find one by the end of march, she thinks it impossible to continue.

In Japanese
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...518-sanspo-spo

Aw, poor girl. I didn't know she was looking for a sponsor.

I hope she gets one! Good luck, Fumie!

Custom Title
    dang seems like a lot of $$$$

200 thousand $US, same as Mr.Olympia....

but she's worth it!
    Last edited by bibi24; 03-11-2010 at 06:06 AM.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Here she says she has already spent all her savings in the last two years she spent without a big sponsor.
    http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/news/...50019000c.html

And also that what she wants to continue is to compete till Worlds 2011 in Tokyo.

Her ambition as an eligible skater wasn't forever then.
    So yes, why not another year?
    I wish sharing Miki's coach again brings harmony. .. bit worried though.
    Last edited by sorcerer; 03-11-2010 at 06:08 AM.

Jeeze! She must really, really, really love figure skating---with religious fervor---to do that. Personally, I just wouldn't be able to use 450-thousand dollars worth of my own savings in that way. And the field in Japan is so deep, the chances of her being selected to go to Worlds is, quite frankly, zero. Of course, she should do what she she wants, but....

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Jeeze! She must really, really, really love figure skating---with religious fervor---to do that. Personally, I just wouldn't be able to use 450-thousand dollars worth of my own savings in that way. And the field in Japan is so deep, the chances of her being selected to go to Worlds is, quite frankly, zero. Of course, she should do what she she wants, but....
    I always liked Fumie - but it sounds like she enjoys spending money as much as skating.

Her cost of skating for a season - $220,000.00 sounds more than a little high.

Last I saw in USA it can be around 90,000.00 a season but that is with the top coaches and trainers.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I never liked Fumie's skating, but I am sorry to hear she spent all her savings the last couple years on it. It's very sad.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Her cost of skating for a season - $220,000.00 sounds more than a little high.
    Last I saw in USA it can be around 90,000.00 a season but that is with the top coaches and trainers.
    Plus living expenses abroad, flighing back and forth, ....

But let's see. If she trains with Sato in Japan, uses Miyamoto's choreo (he created Takahashi's SP for this season), etc., it can well be less, probably half of what she says.

Or, she might be searching for a retirement reason with which she can make up her mind ?
    She can't and won't retire like just because her results didn't meet her own expectation.

Custom Title
    Awww poor Fumie. What is she going to do after skating. I mean is there a plan B for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Fumie has been searching for a sponsor since Jan to continue skating. She needs 20,000,000 yen (1USD = 90 yen; US$220,921).

If she can't find one by the end of march, she thinks it impossible to continue.

In Japanese
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...518-sanspo-spo
    I don't see it happening.

Why would any big corporation sponsor a skater who is most likely to do poorly in the next couple of seasons? Also wouldn't the money be better spent on young skaters...? *scratching head*

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I have to wonder who Fumie has around her. The Japanese ladies are so good- is it remotely realistic that she will make the Tokyo World team? Why is no one telling her it won't happen? I feel bad that she has spent all her money. I do hope she has a plan for the rest of her life.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I have to wonder who Fumie has around her. The Japanese ladies are so good- is it remotely realistic that she will make the Tokyo World team? Why is no one telling her it won't happen? I feel bad that she has spent all her money. I do hope she has a plan for the rest of her life.
    Did anyone think that she was going to make the 2009 World Championship team, let alone win the free skate at that Nationals? I mean, even for me, the last year I truly enjoyed Suguri was probably 2004 or 2005 and scratched my head why she didn't just retire after her silver medal in the 2006 Worlds, but I suppose it would give you something to strive for when you finish 5th and then 4th at two Olympic Games.

Don't get me wrong-- Asada, Ando, Suzuki, and Murakami as well as other juniors will all be back next year ready to fight, and it will make it incredibly difficult for Fumie. But Nadia brings up a great point-- does anyone, sponsors OR the Japanese Federation themselves, want to put Suguri on a World Championship team so she can have her "swan song" that would have ended much nicer 4 years ago? It's a new Olympic cycle and while it would be sweet and all, Japan has three ladies in the top eight in the World right now, and a handful of juniors that I'm sure they want to give some major international experience to leading up to Sochi.

Custom Title
    I know she loves skating so it would be nice if she could continue just for that reason but I don't see it happening. I feel bad because she wasn't ready to be left behind. She might (a big might) be able to make it if Miki moves on but who wants to chance it.

Custom Title
    Awww, I feel for her, but I too don't see her getting a major sponsor. She's been a phenomenal athlete for a long time, but she's simply not up to the level of the other ladies in Japan. Even if by some miracle she did place at nationals, she still would not be competitive internationally and I doubt she'd be sent to Worlds even then. I hope she finds one though; it'd be a shame for someone, competitive or not, to be forced to quit due to finances.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    So sad. All that time and money and she keeps missing the world/Olympic team. She is skating pretty well too. Any other country she would be on the team every year. I wonder if she has considered skating for a diffrent federation? Japanese Fed has not shown her any favors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast