Fumie wants to continue, but needs to get a sponsor by the end of March | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fumie wants to continue, but needs to get a sponsor by the end of March

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Just a thought, < American .....???? I recollect another lady from Japan who "swapped" countries ; lol

This thread is so sad. I commend my fave skater for knowing she could continue and do well, potentially get better ~ however. Japan has formed a ladies field under her lead. Without checking current records, the most decorated (ladies) skater - I think is is just any skater of any of the disciplines - should be doing better financially considering how much attention there is on skating in Japan. Who is her agent? :(

Oh I hate to think if she heads for Russia too. But I think she'll need a 3x3 for their consideration.

Again so sad she doesn't have the financial option, wonder how that happens when she is so popular, at least has been so for a long time now.

ANyway the worst thing for me is better chances I see her skate in more SOIs and COIs.

Still my Favorite Fumie!!!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Fumie got to go to 2 Olympiads, Yukari Nakano 0.

If she wants to keep skating for the heck of it, ala Tonia Kwiatkowski, then I'm all for it, no matter the age. In fact I wish Julia Sebestian would continue on to her 5th Olympiad.

That said, if she is not paying for it herself with sponsors & competition/show $$$$, but rather is using her parents to pay for it, then I say grow up, quit skating, and pay your parents back for all they did for you. And this applies to everybody.

Bennett

Record Breaker
it sounds like she spent all of the family's savings according to the newspaper and her father is actually retired from Japan airlines but now he is looking for a job. How sad is this? Fumie please retire and get a job and pay your parents back some money!

Could you please give us the link for the article or at least the name of the newspaper?

I checked all that available on Yahoo Sports and Fresh Eye News both in Japanese, but could not find that information.

She does say that she used all of her saving.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20100311-00000015-maip-spo

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
So sad. All that time and money and she keeps missing the world/Olympic team. She is skating pretty well too. Any other country she would be on the team every year. I wonder if she has considered skating for a diffrent federation? Japanese Fed has not shown her any favors.

I think Fumie would have finished no better than 4th at US Natls this year and still would have missed out on the Olympic/Worlds team.

Nadia01

Final Flight
it sounds like she spent all of the family's savings according to the newspaper and her father is actually retired from Japan airlines but now he is looking for a job. How sad is this? Fumie please retire and get a job and pay your parents back some money!

That's uber-sad.

Unless I'm mistaken, Japan Airline's been delisted from Tokyo Stock Exchange, and it's bankrupt. I don't think its retirees are going to see much of their pension, and it's sad that Fumie used up all of her parents' savings, but is still looking for a sponsor so she can continue to spend more money pursuing something that just isn't going to materialize.

Bennett

Record Breaker
So it seems she and her parents all lost their savings the last 2 years.
And last month or so Japan Airlines went bankrupt forcing the retirement allowance (that of JAL used to be huge for a long time) shrinked uncomparably.

The fund she says she needs might include to some extent a bit of compensation for this ?
B/c the sum was so big.

She is not responsible for JAL bankrupcy and subsequent reduction in retirement allowance. The retirees would have made their financial plans, counting on the retirement allowance as given, and now they have to change their plans.

The cited article does say that she used her parents' saving (good or bad, this is very common among Japanese skaters), but other ones say that she used her saving.
The cited article does not say that she used all of her parents' savings, but other ones say that she used all of her savings.

I wonder how much JSF is providing per skater. She is a highest-ranked one.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Fumie got to go to 2 Olympiads, Yukari Nakano 0.

If she wants to keep skating for the heck of it, ala Tonia Kwiatkowski, then I'm all for it, no matter the age. In fact I wish Julia Sebestian would continue on to her 5th Olympiad.

That said, if she is not paying for it herself with sponsors & competition/show $$$$, but rather is using her parents to pay for it, then I say grow up, quit skating, and pay your parents back for all they did for you. And this applies to everybody.

You're saying as if her parents were senile and she scammed them their life savings for her silly skating. If her parents were willing to mortgage their house or doing whatever to keep her skating, then that's their decision. There are plenty of parents here in the US paying 200k for an BA in English at some feel good liberal arts college. How's that any different than Fumie's parents paying for her skating. Do you tell college students to grow up, quit school, and pay your own bill, deadbeats?

janetfan

Match Penalty
You're saying as if her parents were senile and she scammed them their life savings for her silly skating. If her parents were willing to mortgage their house or doing whatever to keep her skating, then that's their decision. There are plenty of parents here in the US paying 200k for an BA in English at some feel good liberal arts college. How's that any different than Fumie's parents paying for her skating. Do you tell college students to grow up, quit school, and pay your own bill, deadbeats?

That is a good point and since this appears to be more speculation than anything else how are we to know the circumstances.

Fumie's parents might be so proud of her skating that they would do as much as possible to support her.

How is that different than many stories we have heard about American skating parents?

sorcerer

Final Flight
The cited article does not say that she used all of her parents' savings, but other ones say that she used all of her savings.
You are correct.
But me too, just in case. :)
I wrote "So it seems she and her parents all lost their savings the last 2 years."
Not "lost all their savings".

But "all" may easily give a wrong impression in this case, so
"it seems she and her parents all spent a lot of their savings the last 2 years."

Bennett

Record Breaker
I read the comments posted on one of the articles on this topic at Yahoo Japan Sports. The comment section can be offensive and I don't usually bother to review it.

But I was actually surprised to see many that encourage her challenging spirit and respect and admire her guts and skills. One of them said that a clean closure may be something cool and beautiful, but being honest to one's motivation and challenging one's limit is beautiful in another way.

One of them said that she has so many fans that, if each of them offer like $10, she could get enough. That was kind of cute. Others were saying that they'd love to help, but their companies were struggling. Many seem to feel that it is a shame that the country does not offer much help to those who are really motivated and have the talent.

Of course, there were many that were negative. But the majority of the negative comments were not unreasonable bashing, but more like constructive suggestions.

I've realized that many ppl care about her.

She's perhaps passed her prime time, but being that competitive at her age is admirable. We see many athletes in their 30s and 40s nowadays and Fumie is opening the door. Even if not making the Worlds, I wouldn't see her as a failure. She really performed from the heart for the audience without giving up at the Nationals despite having zero chance to make the team after bad mistakes. That was an act of class.

Yukari didn't make the 2009 Worlds or 2009 4cc. But was she a failure in that season? Many ppl remember her Giselle as a masterpiece.

It would be great if Fumie could show us some good programs and decently land those jumps. Then the results may or may not follow.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Such a bad analogy, dude.

It's kinda like the law of diminishing returns. Nadine's point is that Fumie got to go to 2 Olympiads. She's no longer at the top of her game, there are better contenders out there, she's not getting better, she's getting older, and she's using up other people's resources. What more does Fumie need to get out of her competitive skating career? What could she realistically get? What could she offer all her supporters in return?

Even if her parents funded Fumie's career because they love her and wanted to support what she wanted to do, one could argue it's not the most graceful or wisest way to live.

Now some parents may pay for 200k US for a BA in English at an institution. Typically, these are kids who are about a decade younger than Fumie and who haven't already spent 8+ years working at getting a BA already. An education also, is a basic thing--if you're going to get one, one can argue that you might as well get a good experience and degree out of it. In addition, it may open up other career opportunities that the student wouldn't get if they just quit school (i.e. they can get better, they can fly higher in life.) Furthermore, educations aren't strictly competitive in the sense that you don't have to fight to be #1 or #2 or #3 in the world to gain the most out of it, and to give a lot from it.

I'm not saying Fumie should quit, but she should realize it would be better to. Frankly, I thought she was way underscored back in 2006 Torino and may arguably have deserved the bronze, but she's never been my favourite skater and I don't feel she's on the upswing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fumie was from the Kwan era. She was a lovely skater in her top days, but it was pretty clear to me that Fumie reached her peak in 2006, and it's been all downhill since then. I remember Fumie's great years and to me, it's sad to watch her skate today.

Michelle Kwan considered a comeback after recovering from major hip surgery, but after a year of training, she realized she would never again be as good as she felt she needed to be, and she wisely decided to continue her education rather than return to competition.

Maybe the best thing that can happen is that Fumie doesn't find a sponsor, and instead starts to focus on other areas for the future. Perhaps she should consider broadcasting.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think that Fumie has made that decision after assessing all the pros and cons.

Re: sponsorship, it's more about publicity and financial returns, rather than actual competitive results that matter most. Many Olympic medalists in other sports are far less famous than Fumie. This article made one of the top news of Yahoo Japan of the day (not just the sports section).

There is ageism against female skaters who continue after early 20s. But Japan is such an aging society in which the median age of females is 46 yrs old. Female athletes who continue in their 30s and 40s are usually respected. So Fumie can be marketable if framed wisely.

zizi31

Rinkside
I think that Fumie has made that decision after assessing all the pros and cons.

Re: sponsorship, it's more about publicity and financial returns, rather than actual competitive results that matter most. Many Olympic medalists in other sports are far less famous than Fumie. This article made one of the top news of Yahoo Japan of the day (not just the sports section).

There is ageism against female skaters who continue after early 20s. But Japan is such an aging society in which the median age of females is 46 yrs old. Female athletes who continue in their 30s and 40s are usually respected. So Fumie can be marketable if framed wisely.

I really like this attitude. Now, I don't think it's wise that Fumie has used up her parents' savings, but I think that her desire to keep skating competitively is great, as long as she can be happy with not being on top. I'd be pleased if they could market her in the way you suggest - she might be very relatable for older women.

Me personally, I wouldn't want to skate far past my prime. But if Fumie is willing to keep going, good for her.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Addendum to my original post:

I don't know about anybody else on here, but I paid my own way through college & life, that's the way I was brought up ~ to work hard & pay your own way.

And if you borrow from someone, no matter if they're a relative, et al, you pay them back. Period. This is the type of morals/ethics/scruples I was born with, and nurtured by my family.

Therefore, no, Fumie Suguri does not have an obligation to pay her parents back, that comes down to one's own morals/scruples/ethics/et al.

Basically, it comes down to doing the right thing, and what you consider doing the right thing. No two people are alike, and that will be reflected in how one lives one's life.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Do you know what law of diminished returns even mean? What do you even mean in the last paragraph? It's positively incoherent and serves rather well as the only good reason why people would get a BA in English. :eek:hwell:

I had no problem understanding prettykey's post. Also I'm not sure if you meant to mock prettykey's English or not, but I thought GS was very open to international members and don't nitpick other people's English in discussions.

Also --pAre you sure you know what the law of diminishing marginal returns mean?

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
I highly doubt that she will get a sponsorship. Why should she? I wouldn't sponsor her if I were looking to sponsor somebody. Because she is likey not to medal at worlds nor make the world team. It's not a good investment. If I were rich and wanted to help out someone, I still wouldn't help her. I would help Akiko Suzuki instead because Akiko works at a local rink to make ends meet. She works hard to pay for her skating. She knows that the money doesn't grow on a tree.
Fumie needs to get a job. She needs to show that she is willing to do anything to keep on skating. If you are not willing to do that, then you need to quit. Why does she need $200,000 anyways? Does she need that much money for a season? You DO NOT need first class coaches, choreographers and costumes to make it big. To think if she doesn'thave $200,000 then she can't skate is so wrong to me and piss me off.