Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fumie wants to continue, but needs to get a sponsor by the end of March

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    So sad. All that time and money and she keeps missing the world/Olympic team. She is skating pretty well too. Any other country she would be on the team every year. I wonder if she has considered skating for a diffrent federation? Japanese Fed has not shown her any favors.
    You know, I actually think that her problem is much the same as Johnny Weir's. Even when she lands her jumps, her programs are not adapted to score high under COP. That's why another skater can splat and still beat her cleaner program. That was pretty much the case in the 2009 - 2010 season.

Morozov succeeded in helping her regain jump consistency, but his work in converting her to a COP style skater was a much more mixed success; her transitions and speed were often lacking, and the improvement in spins, spirals, and footwork was mixed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    You know, I actually think that her problem is much the same as Johnny Weir's. Even when she lands her jumps, her programs are not adapted to score high under COP. That's why another skater can splat and still beat her cleaner program. That was pretty much the case in the 2009 - 2010 season.

Morozov succeeded in helping her regain jump consistency, but his work in converting her to a COP style skater was a much more mixed success; her transitions and speed were often lacking, and the improvement in spins, spirals, and footwork was mixed.
    The ironic thing is in her prime she was probably one of the fastest skaters on the ice.

It annoys me that everyone's being so negative! Her chance isn't zero of making the world team next year. I think Asada would surely beat her, but Ando, Suzuki, etc. could screw up. Buuut why doesn't she just do more shows to get money - or are there not enough opportunities in Japan?

it sounds like she spent all of the family's savings according to the newspaper and her father is actually retired from Japan airlines but now he is looking for a job. How sad is this? Fumie please retire and get a job and pay your parents back some money!

Yukari, after she found out she wasn't going to make the Olympics, spent the time between Nationals and Olympics writing up her MA dissertation, and after the Olympics, promptly announced that she was retiring and moving on to working at a television station.

I was really sad to hear that Yukari wasn't going to use the opportunity the Federation had offered to her, to skate on a big stage, Worlds, for the last time. But on the other hand, to be honest, my respect for her increased, because she was deferring the chance to go to Worlds to someone who was skating better this season, Akiko. And no one would have blamed her, in fact, would positively have loved to see Yukari perform her swan song at Worlds.

So I guess I prefer Yukari's way to Fumie's way. But of course, theoretically speaking, Fumie's chances of going to Worlds is not zero. BUT...

I would like to see Mao, of course, go to Worlds next year. I also think it's possible that Akiko might use that opportunity to retire from amateur skating, and she would really deserve that chance more than Fumie. Also, I think Miki is likely going to take Worlds seriously as well, because I don't think she's 100% certain whether she wants/can stay til Sochi, so Worlds would be a crucial litmus test for her. And then there's Kanako Murakami, who needs to start establishing her position on the senior circuit, and I think it would be more her turn than Fumie's.

Just a thought, < American .....???? I recollect another lady from Japan who "swapped" countries ; lol

This thread is so sad. I commend my fave skater for knowing she could continue and do well, potentially get better ~ however. Japan has formed a ladies field under her lead. Without checking current records, the most decorated (ladies) skater - I think is is just any skater of any of the disciplines - should be doing better financially considering how much attention there is on skating in Japan. Who is her agent? :(

Oh I hate to think if she heads for Russia too. But I think she'll need a 3x3 for their consideration.

Again so sad she doesn't have the financial option, wonder how that happens when she is so popular, at least has been so for a long time now.

ANyway the worst thing for me is better chances I see her skate in more SOIs and COIs.

Still my Favorite Fumie!!!

Custom Title
    Fumie got to go to 2 Olympiads, Yukari Nakano 0.

If she wants to keep skating for the heck of it, ala Tonia Kwiatkowski, then I'm all for it, no matter the age. In fact I wish Julia Sebestian would continue on to her 5th Olympiad.

That said, if she is not paying for it herself with sponsors & competition/show $$$$, but rather is using her parents to pay for it, then I say grow up, quit skating, and pay your parents back for all they did for you. And this applies to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    it sounds like she spent all of the family's savings according to the newspaper and her father is actually retired from Japan airlines but now he is looking for a job. How sad is this? Fumie please retire and get a job and pay your parents back some money!
    Could you please give us the link for the article or at least the name of the newspaper?

I checked all that available on Yahoo Sports and Fresh Eye News both in Japanese, but could not find that information.

She does say that she used all of her saving.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...00015-maip-spo
    Last edited by Bennett; 03-12-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Could you please give us the link for the article or at least the name of the newspaper?

I checked all that available on Yahoo Sports and Fresh Eye News both in Japanese, but could not find that information.

She does say that she used all of her saving.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...00015-maip-spo

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news...OYT1T00806.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    So sad. All that time and money and she keeps missing the world/Olympic team. She is skating pretty well too. Any other country she would be on the team every year. I wonder if she has considered skating for a diffrent federation? Japanese Fed has not shown her any favors.
    I think Fumie would have finished no better than 4th at US Natls this year and still would have missed out on the Olympic/Worlds team.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    So it seems she and her parents all lost their savings the last 2 years.
    And last month or so Japan Airlines went bankrupt forcing the retirement allowance (that of JAL used to be huge for a long time) shrinked uncomparably.

The fund she says she needs might include to some extent a bit of compensation for this ?
    B/c the sum was so big.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    That's uber-sad.

Unless I'm mistaken, Japan Airline's been delisted from Tokyo Stock Exchange, and it's bankrupt. I don't think its retirees are going to see much of their pension, and it's sad that Fumie used up all of her parents' savings, but is still looking for a sponsor so she can continue to spend more money pursuing something that just isn't going to materialize.

Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    So it seems she and her parents all lost their savings the last 2 years.
    And last month or so Japan Airlines went bankrupt forcing the retirement allowance (that of JAL used to be huge for a long time) shrinked uncomparably.

The fund she says she needs might include to some extent a bit of compensation for this ?
    B/c the sum was so big.
    She is not responsible for JAL bankrupcy and subsequent reduction in retirement allowance. The retirees would have made their financial plans, counting on the retirement allowance as given, and now they have to change their plans.

The cited article does say that she used her parents' saving (good or bad, this is very common among Japanese skaters), but other ones say that she used her saving.
    The cited article does not say that she used all of her parents' savings, but other ones say that she used all of her savings.

I wonder how much JSF is providing per skater. She is a highest-ranked one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Fumie got to go to 2 Olympiads, Yukari Nakano 0.

If she wants to keep skating for the heck of it, ala Tonia Kwiatkowski, then I'm all for it, no matter the age. In fact I wish Julia Sebestian would continue on to her 5th Olympiad.

That said, if she is not paying for it herself with sponsors & competition/show $$$$, but rather is using her parents to pay for it, then I say grow up, quit skating, and pay your parents back for all they did for you. And this applies to everybody.
    You're saying as if her parents were senile and she scammed them their life savings for her silly skating. If her parents were willing to mortgage their house or doing whatever to keep her skating, then that's their decision. There are plenty of parents here in the US paying 200k for an BA in English at some feel good liberal arts college. How's that any different than Fumie's parents paying for her skating. Do you tell college students to grow up, quit school, and pay your own bill, deadbeats?

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    You're saying as if her parents were senile and she scammed them their life savings for her silly skating. If her parents were willing to mortgage their house or doing whatever to keep her skating, then that's their decision. There are plenty of parents here in the US paying 200k for an BA in English at some feel good liberal arts college. How's that any different than Fumie's parents paying for her skating. Do you tell college students to grow up, quit school, and pay your own bill, deadbeats?
    That is a good point and since this appears to be more speculation than anything else how are we to know the circumstances.

Fumie's parents might be so proud of her skating that they would do as much as possible to support her.

How is that different than many stories we have heard about American skating parents?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast