ISU should ask for arist and performer used for skaters music | Golden Skate

ISU should ask for arist and performer used for skaters music

russell30

Final Flight
I wanted to address that the ISU should ask the skaters and people around them (coaches/choreographers/music people etc) the artist and the performer of their chosen music so the general public and skating fans can buy and enjoy listening to the music that skater used. Some skaters are very good and use different interesting music (most notably the finnish ladies) and submit to ISU all the info but when it comes to skaters using time and time again Scherezade, Romeo and Juliet, Carmen, we would like to know the performer/artist of the music, we know who wrote it.

It has been frustrating this year, as I would like to know Yu Na Kim's Performer to Gershwin, Oda's Smile (charlie chaplin) and Joannie La Cumparsita and Samson and Deliah, Pang and Tong's Pearlfishers Duet. I mean its endless and takes time to find the music.

Also it seems that skaters are also using arrangements these days, a so called Alex Goldstein seems to be getting popular (Is this someone that Morozov/Linachuk knows??) Also the French seem to use Maxime Rodriguez a lot (but Mr Rodriguez doesn't seem to sell his latest arrangements) and the Canadian have used a Mr Karl Hugo in the past (ie D/D Blowers daughter arrangement, C Phaneuf SP your so beautiful and D/L Madame Butterfly for the 2002 Olympics).

Please ISU we would like an improvement, we want to enjoy the music and relive their routines forever.:scowl:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I think you are asking for a lot. I'd prefer the ISU focus on the Big Picture, like the scoring system, fair and non-anonymous judging, etc. I don't really think 1 fan in 1000 is as hardcore as you, wanting to know the exact performer of a piece of music. Have you tried sending an email to the skaters' fan/websites and asking for this information directly? Twitter? Most top skaters have some sort of way to contact them, even indirectly. You may or may not get an answer, but it's a place to start.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Golden Skate provides a service each season called Program Cliff Notes where we try to list info about each skater or teams' program. The thread is stickied at the top of the Edge for the competitive season. We haven't worried too much about who performed each version of Scheherazade, but next year, thanks to your thread here, we'll give it a shot. If we know, we'll post the info.

And we are soliciting your help to make this information more complete: if you know, please post in the thread and we'll update it.

OTOH, the matter of Alexander Goldstine brings up an important point. Skaters have been rather cavalier about using recordings without properly attributing the music to either the owner of the copyright or the performer of the segments of the music. Only the arranger is listed. In the case of Domnina and Shabalin, this practic e caused them the trouble of having to get the music for their OD program rearranged at the last minute. A minute and one half of their music was a copyrighted piece of music by Sheila Chandra (both composer and performer). On their ISU bio, Chandra was nowhere mentioned, nor was her permission sought to use her music. As it happens, she did not approve of their Aboriginal OD, and enforced her copyright. A request up front, and perhaps proper attribution on their ISU bio might have saved them this grief.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
I wanted to address that the ISU should ask the skaters and people around them (coaches/choreographers/music people etc) the artist and the performer of their chosen music so the general public and skating fans can buy and enjoy listening to the music that skater used. Some skaters are very good and use different interesting music (most notably the finnish ladies) and submit to ISU all the info but when it comes to skaters using time and time again Scherezade, Romeo and Juliet, Carmen, we would like to know the performer/artist of the music, we know who wrote it.

It has been frustrating this year, as I would like to know Yu Na Kim's Performer to Gershwin, Oda's Smile (charlie chaplin) and Joannie La Cumparsita and Samson and Deliah, Pang and Tong's Pearlfishers Duet. I mean its endless and takes time to find the music.

Also it seems that skaters are also using arrangements these days, a so called Alex Goldstein seems to be getting popular (Is this someone that Morozov/Linachuk knows??) Also the French seem to use Maxime Rodriguez a lot (but Mr Rodriguez doesn't seem to sell his latest arrangements) and the Canadian have used a Mr Karl Hugo in the past (ie D/D Blowers daughter arrangement, C Phaneuf SP your so beautiful and D/L Madame Butterfly for the 2002 Olympics).

Please ISU we would like an improvement, we want to enjoy the music and relive their routines forever.:scowl:

Actually every skater who skates at a National or International event must fill out a form indicating what music cuts they are using for their programs. This is a requirement so that any broadcast can obtain the proper clearances from the various music performing rights groups. The ISU does publish some of this on the Skater Bio pages, maintenace of this info is likely a huge job and there are likely to be omissions and mistakes made.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This info should be included in the broadcast. ABC / ESPN was much better about giving music name/artist in the info blurb before the skater performs. NBC only gave skater's name and country , I think they didn't even give pb score.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is another issue I have with NBC coverage. They don't show the titles of the music (let alone the composer or which recording of it if it had been recorded by many different people). IIRC, ABC/ESPN always listed the music for each competitive program. I really miss the correct identification of the music during competitions!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is another issue I have with NBC coverage. They don't show the titles of the music (let alone the composer or which recording of it if it had been recorded by many different people). IIRC, ABC/ESPN always listed the music for each competitive program. I really miss the correct identification of the music during competitions!
Gail, I agree. I always liked knowing the name of the music too. Years ago, they would give a short bio of the skater as they were taking their position. Ahhhhhhh the good old days!!!

Wicked

Final Flight
I always want to know the name of the piece and the artist that someone is skating to. Not having that was one of the worst features of NBC's coverage of the Olys.

ITA but it's not enough for it to flash across the screen. It should routinely be the first or second thing the announcers say about each skater. It always amazes me that they find to say many unnecessary things yet so often omit to provide this very basic piece of info.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
ITA but it's not enough for it to flash across the screen. It should routinely be the first or second thing the announcers say about each skater. It always amazes me that they find to say many unnecessary things yet so often omit to provide this very basic piece of info.

Why isn't enough to be displayed on the screen. The last thing we need is something else for the announcers to babble about during a skate. They already talk too much.

prettykeys

Medalist
I always want to know the name of the piece and the artist that someone is skating to. Not having that was one of the worst features of NBC's coverage of the Olys.
I don't think it's just NBC.

Personally, I would also like to know the version of a piece that a skater is skating to (i.e. performer or orchestra or whatever.) :)

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
Going back to what sk8rdad said, on top of that-- the music the ISU lists is what the skater gives to them. So sometimes, yes, it can be very vague.

I've honestly found that the music identification program Shazam on my iPhone comes in very handy at times; it picks up quite a bit of the music.

bibi24

Final Flight
how does royalty fees (if any) for music in top level competition or pros work?

do they have to pay the artists and/or labeling companies?

sk8rdad

On the Ice
how does royalty fees (if any) for music in top level competition or pros work?

do they have to pay the artists and/or labeling companies?

Royalties go through the same process as any other performing rights use. Typically the organizer/broadcaster creates a list a pieces and submits it along with the appropriate fees to the performing rights organizations for the country of broadcast or performance.