Ladies SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP

silverlake22

Record Breaker
1F and 3Lz-3T (3T was downgraded) (((

That's too bad. If she hits her 2a-3t and 3sal-3t in the LP tomorrow she should be able to move up in the standings and potentially medal. I know Caroline Zhang was 2nd last year and in the SP she had a lot of mistakes and her score was like 49 or something.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
52.28 for Kiri, step out of 3f and hand down on 2a, everything else good. Anna still in first :rock:! Shelepen, Zawadski, and Gao will all skate in the penultimate group, this should be interesting. Good luck tomorrow ladies!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Does Kate Charbonneu remind anyone else of a young Alissa Czisny? I was just watching her on youtube and that's the first thing that came to mind.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Shelepen, Zawadski and Gao out of the final flight and more likely out of contention too. They have the potential and content to move up to bronze but I believe Gold is a two-horse race now between Murakami and Ovcharova.

bluelutz

On the Ice
Yeah, MosDef Anna has improved
at least she lands jumps now and she looks more mature than others.
However, I still think skaters like Kanako and Kiri have much better flow.

Anyway, I thought this would be Kanako vs. Polina S vs. Christina,
but now it's pretty much like Kanako vs. Anna.
Kanako has been very consistant and she has high PCS,
yet Anna still has a good chance if she skates like she did in her Nationals.
Good luck to both of them!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah, MosDef Anna has improved
at least she lands jumps now and she looks more mature than others.
However, I still think skaters like Kanako and Kiri have much better flow.

Anyway, I thought this would be Kanako vs. Polina S vs. Christina,
but now it's pretty much like Kanako vs. Anna.
Kanako has been very consistant and she has high PCS,
yet Anna still has a good chance if she skates like she did in her Nationals.
Good luck to both of them!

Kiri does have very good flow, I've noticed that both Kiri and Kate Charbonneau (who have the same coach) are very good spinners and have good 3toe and 3sal but struggle with the other triples and the double axel. If they can up their technical content they will likely do very well in senior events in the future.

I'd say it's Kanako vs Anna vs Polina Agafonova. Kanako and Anna both attempt 6 triples in the FS but neither attempts a 3-3, I know Polina A attempts at least one and maybe two 3-3s in the LP so I think she could potentially win or definitely medal, a lot will depend on if she gets credit for her 3-3s. I'm impressed with Anna's PCS and agree that she looks more mature on the ice than a lot of other girls even though she is one of the youngest competitors at the competition, she has great poise and carriage for 13 years old!:agree: Can't wait to see the top 3 performances tomorrow, Anna and Polina must have really rocked it, those are great scores for them! :love:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Gao is not the next big thing. Her awkward 3t-3t finally caught up to her. And to think some people thought she should/could go to the Olympics this year is totally hilarious. Gao? Really? Gao who couldn't make the final group of JUNIOR worlds? :laugh:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Wow, two highly touted US ladies beaten by Joshi Helgesson and Kate Charbonneau. Wakeup call?

In the case of Christina Gao, maybe. She's had international experience at the Junior level, including the JGPF. In Agnes Zawadzki, I'm not as shocked about her placement. Her successes, while great, have been pretty much all on the US National stage. Not being used to such a major competition could partly explain the situation. And then again, she's 8th after the SP. Not a bad placement for a first major ISU Championship.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the updates. Anything can happen here. Agnes Zawadski is a strong LP skater. I find in Jr. competition the possibility of moving up and medaling happens much more than in Sr. competition. Good luck to the ladies.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Top 3
Anna OVCHAROVA is 90+
Murakami long program SB is 104+
Polina AGAFONOVA is 76+

Murakami has the gold in the bag. The other girls simply can't catch up.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Top 3
Anna OVCHAROVA is 90+
Polina AGAFONOVA is 76+

Well, barring a meltdown by Murakami and/or a SOHL from Anna Ovcharova. Because some skaters in other disciplines seem to be greatly improving on their PB scores, while others seem to be doing worse.

And about Gao's score: It's actually only 3 points behind her Season's Best (excluding any National level scores).

gold12345

Medalist
Wow, two highly touted US ladies beaten by Joshi Helgesson and Kate Charbonneau. Wakeup call?

Why is it a wakeup call that they placed behind those two other ladies? The US girls had errors, and their scores/placements reflect that. They are allowed to make mistakes, and mistakes in a SP are usually especially costly. I'm definitely not one to buy into the hype of Junior skaters, but some people practically want to write skaters off based on one short program of one junior competition. :laugh:

skatingbc

Final Flight
Top 3
Anna OVCHAROVA is 90+
Polina AGAFONOVA is 76+

Ovcharova's previous season's best for the short was 5 points below her score today. The stats are good for a general idea of the skater and his/her abilities, but especially in Jrs, they don't mean anything.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Why is it a wakeup call that they placed behind those two other ladies? The US girls had errors, and their scores/placements reflect that. They are allowed to make mistakes, and mistakes in a SP are usually especially costly. I'm definitely not one to buy into the hype of Junior skaters, but some people practically want to write skaters off based on one short program of one junior competition. :laugh:

It's the junior worlds. Note the top skaters at some point or another WON Junior worlds. You just don't get very far without the Junior world title. If they can't handle junior worlds, they will just become an also-ran at the senior level.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ovcharova's previous season's best for the short was 5 points below her score today. The stats are good for a general idea of the skater and his/her abilities, but especially in Jrs, they don't mean anything.

Well, it gives a very good idea of what to expect especially when everyone is doing their best. If they give a good idea, they mean something. So if you have money betting, you'd bet against Murakami given those stats?

skatingbc

Final Flight
Joshi Helgesson was 4th last year at Jr Worlds, and Kate Charbonneau had a good first season on the JGP circuit, with a silver to show for her efforts. Wake-up call? It shouldn't be! This year the ladies seem to have more depth and seem generally more competitive. 4th and 10th place are only about 4 pts apart. That's not a large margin at all.