Jamie Sale comments on Johnny Weir | Golden Skate

Jamie Sale comments on Johnny Weir

gracefulswan

On the Ice
She really makes me sick. And to think I was a fan once. Anti-american??? represents MEN'S figure skating which is taking a hit??, feathers and fluffy stuff??, makes stories? I'm sorry but wearing a freaking Russian jacket doesn't make you anti-American anymore than Orser wearing a Korean jacket makes him anti-Canadian.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I like Johnny! However, I think that she has some valid points and she did keep saying, "This is MY opinion". So she is giving her opinion and it is not popular with everyone. That is the problem in society right now. Everyone wants to hear what other people think and then when they say something that is controversial then the comments start.

Let it go....Jamie is not the voice of men's skating.

tilak

On the Ice
I like Johnny! However, I think that she has some valid points and she did keep saying, "This is MY opinion". So she is giving her opinion and it is not popular with everyone. That is the problem in society right now. Everyone wants to hear what other people think and then when they say something that is controversial then the comments start.

Let it go....Jamie is not the voice of men's skating.

:frown2: So what are the valid points???

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. She basically calls him an attention seeker. And given his comments about PETA/fur, I don't think she's out of line or indeed wrong.

2. He's not a good representation for men's figure skating (emphasis hers). This is stupid. Again, I don't think she's entirely wrong in what she says, but honestly, he doesn't fit the traditional masculine stereotype. It's unfair because that stereotype is outdated and really stupid, but it still percolates. But essentially, she calls him too queer (and I'm using this in the academic sense of the word, but if this needs to be edited/delete, I apologize, but I hope a mod will let me know).

3. The Russian thing? Eh, empty Cold War-ist dialogue. Wearing Russian jackets when representing the US isn't particularly tactful, though.

4. Prefacing something with "it's just my opinion" doesn't make it any less wrong and/or stupid.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Ok, again, what is wrong with Jamie Sale's comments on Johnny Weir? Nothing!

I don't like Jamie sometimes, I prefer David, but I don't see anything wrong with what she said about Johnny. It's ok to like Russian culture, (I like Russian culture a lot) but to wear Russian jacket at a major competition was just another way of seeking media attention. Sorry.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Oh no, he is wearing feathers? How could he! No wonder he came in 6th, with great performances and an amazing Triple Axel. The man who made 1st with good performances and an atrocious Triple Axel - he went on the ice in jeans and sweatshirt, like a real man should. I mean, have some pride in your masculinity, you little queen. What? Wait, I don't believe it! How dare you suggest such a thing! Just no! NO!! Lysacek didn't actually wore any feathers during the short program, those were tiny elastic propellers to make him rotate faster on the Triple Axel, so that it was only half a rotation cheated instead of the usual 3/4 rotation and therefore they enhanced his masculinity. And he supported the US-economy by using those propellers, because the propellers were donated by the All-American-Organic-Microaircaft-Cooperation. See? See??? Look how American that is! How masculine!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh no, he is wearing feathers? How could he! No wonder he came in 6th, with great performances and an amazing Triple Axel. The man who made 1st with good performances and an atrocious Triple Axel - he went on the ice in jeans and sweatshirt, like a real man should. I mean, have some pride in your masculinity, you little queen. What? Wait, I don't believe it! How dare you suggest such a thing! Just no! NO!! Lysacek didn't actually wore any feathers during the short program, those were tiny elastic propellers to make him rotate faster on the Triple Axel, so that it was only half a rotation cheated instead of the usual 3/4 rotation and therefore they enhanced his masculinity. And he supported the US-economy by using those propellers, because the propellers were donated by the All-American-Organic-Microaircaft-Cooperation. See? See??? Look how American that is! How masculine!

So now this is about Lysacek? Jamie wasn't even talking about him. :think:
And please bash USA to your heart's desire if it makes you feel better - but Jamie is Canadian :)

Medusa

Record Breaker
And please bash USA to your heart's desire if it makes you feel better - but Jamie is Canadian :)

But Jamie (the Canadian) was the one talking about Anti-American, accusing Weir of being Anti-American, I just picked up her line there. There is absolutely no US-bashing in my post that I can find. I am simply making fun of some people's strange perceptions of patriotism.

I just don't like this double-standard. Slam Weir for wearing feathers - but then please slam all the others who do that, too.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice

My thoughts exactly. Evan doesn't deserve to be dragged into this whether you like him or not. I do agree with many things Jaimie said regarding Johnnie. And it is my opinion and I know many would disagree. I did like Johnnie better at this Olympics than I have in previous competitions. The last Olympics he acted like a total diva. I was embarrassed for him.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
But Jamie (the Canadian) was the one talking about Anti-American, accusing Weir of being Anti-American, I just picked up her line there. There is absolutely no US-bashing in my post that I can find. I am simply making fun of some people's strange perceptions of patriotism.

I just don't like this double-standard. Slam Weir for wearing feathers - but then please slam all the others who do that, too.

"Double standard" - that's my line but you can use it anytime you like. :)

What get's a little tiring is to constantly hear praise for Johnny because he speaks his mind.
Oh, that is just "Johnny being Johnny."

Maybe this was just "Jamie being Jamie." She has as much right to express her opinions as anybody else. We are free to disagree with her - but that does not make us right. It simply means we have a different pov.

And what wold happen if Yuna was seen practicing in a Japanese Team jacket? Or if Mao was seen walking around the Olympic village in a Korean jacket?

Maybe there is too much nationalism at the Olympics. I bet many athletes trade each other's national clothing at the Olympics and what is wrong with that?

Maybe Plushy should have worn a Team USA jacket around the Olympic village. Would anybody in Russia mind that? I am not sure - but think a few Americans might not like it too much :laugh:

jennylovskt

Medalist
ImaginaryPogue, I suppose that I am one of the people that you categorized as "stupid". I think you have nothing better to say other than using the word "stupid". Johnny Weir is not a good representative for men's figure skating. I agree with Jamie Sale. His style and most of all his costumes would scare, if it's not done so already, a lot of families with boys who want to enter figure skating. No, figure skating is not a gay sport for men. But it seems to look like it if you say Johnny Weir is a good representative.:p

Tesla

Final Flight
I'd like to know how an opinion can be wrong. And what's wrong with "macho" (for lack of a better word) skating?

Medusa

Record Breaker
I'd like to know how an opinion can be wrong. And what's wrong with "macho" (for lack of a better word) skating?
Ahhh... I always thought that opinions can be wrong. If someone said that smoking benefits the lungs, I would consider that a wrong opinion.

I have nothing, absolutely nothing, against macho-skating. Big fan of Joubert's skating, Yagudin's... I also enjoy Plushenko, Stojko.

But I am a fan of diversity. Maybe that's a wrong opinion, too.

Tesla

Final Flight
I like diversity, but I've seen a lot of posts deriding macho/masculine skating that I wondered what was wrong with it. And I don't really get the smoking thing. I'm not sure that "smoking is good for the lungs" qualifies as an opinion if there is scientific evidence that smoking is harmful to the lungs. But opinions that can't really be proven or disproven doesn't make them wrong.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
At least she is more honest than the ubber-PC NBC crowd. Off topic I know, but when ever Jamie Sale is mentioned again I will think of her reaction to M&T's Love Story at the olympics. Priceless.

76olympics

On the Ice
It can be tough to comment on a Johnny thread because if you don't approve of everything he does wholesale, you "don't like Johnny" and are stuck in the past. It isn't that way at all for me. Johnny is very articulate- compare his journal entries to most of his cohorts and it is clear that he is intelligent and knows how to express himself beautifully. But, he exasperates me frequently. The self-sabotage at the 2006 Olympics was nothing less than that. He really could have medaled there. I thought he kept it together so well this Olympics and I wish he would have trained and competed at Worlds. I think he had a solid chance for a medal there too given the retirements.

But as a fan of Toller Cranston, I am familar with the diva blues. There is so much talent there, but there is a good bit of nerves and angst. I saw the most recent episode of his show and my heart sank as he began to talk about his sinuses when he got off the plane. He overcame it there, but it is a rollercoaster ride with Johnny. The Russian jacket thing was just silly. Collect it, wear it, but keep it in the closet when you are videotaped during practice. I am not anti-Russian in the slightest. Actually, Johnny and I have some of the same books on Russia !( I saw his shelves on the show). But, Plushenko and Co wouldn't wear an American team jacket in similar circumstances and I wish Johnny hadn't either.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I like diversity, but I've seen a lot of posts deriding macho/masculine skating that I wondered what was wrong with it. And I don't really get the smoking thing. I'm not sure that "smoking is good for the lungs" qualifies as an opinion if there is scientific evidence that smoking is harmful to the lungs. But opinions that can't really be proven or disproven doesn't make them wrong.

I am totally sharing your opinion concerning macho-skating, one of the reasons why I stopped posting here on Goldenskate as often as I did before (actually, this is the first time in two weeks or so that I am posting here) is, that I was done reading all the ridicule towards the "macho-skaters". Narrow-mindedness annoys me to no end. And I mean both sides of the coin here, those people who hate on Weir & Co and those who hate on Joubert & Co - for rather dubious reasons. I mean everyone is allowed to consider someone's skating to be not to one's liking. Obviously I think that Lysacek's skating is rather disagreeable - that has nothing to do with his possible masculinity or possible lack of masculinity though.

I didn't find Salé's beginning that bad. I think that in the past I made a few comments myself that Weir's apparent desire to be a (tabloid-)celebrity outside of skating seemed incomprehensible to me. This desire in combination with his stagnating technical proficiency and often very flat artistic interpretation, were responsible for making his skating less appealing to me. I often didn't think and feel that his heart was in it (that said - his Olympic performances were moving and top-notch).

But Salé continued to make Weir responsible for problems in the skating world, and that is a very harsh accusation - and in my opinion, a false one. Not Weir is the problem, society is, if boys aren't allowed to skate only because someone on ice dares to clothe and act how he apparently wants to. Additionally I find it strange that Weir always gets singled out for "flamoyancy". I am not sure Takahashi's attire was less extravagant and more "masculine". Or the attire of other skaters.

-----------

Someone can subjectively feel that he breathes better after smoking. That person could have the opinion that smoking is good for the lungs. Do you accept all statements, the moment they are scientifically proven?