Jamie Sale comments on Johnny Weir | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jamie Sale comments on Johnny Weir

Jhar55

Medalist
Johnnie I can take him or leave him, I thouhg it was wrong for him to wear the Russian jacket during the Olympics out on the ice during pratice and a slap in the face to his counrty. But if that's how he wants to dress away from the competions so what. And if he wants to wear fur coats, hat doesn't bother me, if I had a mink coat I'd wear it. As for his skating costumes they fit his style and we've all seen skaters who have wore costumes far worse. Makes you think what trash bin did they dig that out of.
As for Jamie after the 2002 Olympics she just a sore loser, and got what she got by crying foul play IMO.

prettykeys

Medalist
I would say the same thing about Johnny Weir if he weren't actually a good skater...but since he is, I believe in letting people be themselves. I don't get the sense that he is using skating to elevate himself towards other means (i.e. drawing attention to himself for its own sake), so yes, I agree with those who said Jamie sounds a bit bitter and unintelligent, and I'm not sure why.

I have defended her opinions about Plushenko's lack of transitions (and the following accusations about how she didn't deserve her OGM.) However, this comment was just really dumb.

Sk8ingFan

Rinkside
.... this comment was just really dumb.

You can say that again. But there was also a malicious tone to it.

When someone who was a competitor in the sport makes comments on another competitor, there is a perception that she knows what she is talking about. In this case, I think it’s just sour grapes.

Her comment that Johnny “likes to make stories” to get on TV and in magazines sounds like jealousy to me. She wishes she had the same opportunities that Johnny has, else why would she do this: http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/page2/photos/031221jamie.jpg

When she says “I don’t appreciate the other fluff” – that truly is her opinion, I’ll give her that. Even Johnny has said many times “I’m not for everyone.”

But whatever does she mean by “mens figure skating is taking a hit enough as it is” ??
Mens figure skating has never been more popular than in recent years, thanks in large part to Johnny Weir who, more than anyone else, has created a larger audience for the sport. If there were a way to calculate the amount of $$ people have spent on tickets to ISU and US competitions because Weir was in them, IMO it would be huge.

It’s the host Gareth Wheeler who says “he’s in it for himself and not necessarily the skating”. This infers what? – he should have no personality? As an elite skater he has dedicated his life - time and money - to the sport of figure skating … isn’t that enough?

Lastly I feel Jamie Sale owes Johnny Weir an apology for these very public remarks said with a nasty tone in her voice and almost snarling facial expressions. She truly is showing some animosity and that goes beyond opinion, in my opinion.

chrissy51

Rinkside
Please, let Johnny be Johnny, it would be so boring if all the skaters were like Evan. I really enjoy Johnny's skating and his attitude. Sometimes he's over the top, but so what. Jamie Sale talks like someone who is trying very hard to get attention which is what she is saying Johnny is trying to do, maybe she's trying to get a gig.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Please, let Johnny be Johnny, it would be so boring if all the skaters were like Evan.

I agree that Evan is boring. But how many Evans are there? Only one. For the record, Johnny Weir's skating in the last three years was a bit boring. Need more over-the-top off ice acting to spice up his skating?:rolleye:

The fact that his costumes scare families? That's their problem, not his.

Ok, then don't expect people not to single him out and talk about and exclude him on something.;)

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Speaking only of GS, who are the supposed uber fans of Johnny several posters refer to? To me it seems far more predictable that the same 3 or more posters are going to show up to hate on Johnny after virtually any mention of him. Yes, some come and say they don't, for the current example, agree that Johnny is responsible for the state of men's figure skating, whatever that is, but that's hardly the same level of extremism as making that statement in the first place, is it? It's not like the defenders brought up the issues in the first place, or reply with, "No, Johnny's not responsible for the state of men's figure skating, but Skater X is, and he not only scares families but is (I don't know, trying to be funny to make the point) also the foremost threat to world peace and is responsible for widespread famine, too!!"

Maybe some of you feel that there is indeed that extremism in the pro-Johnny camp here on GS, but I'm not seeing it. But frankly GS has surprised me during the Olys, I thought this was one skating forum that would never be particularly nasty but some things that have gone by the mods (not here on this thread) have surprised me as they seem to me to violate the guidelines, but mod(s) are involved in the discussions so they've obviously been scrutinized and found to be ok. I say that because I'm wondering if maybe I've just become jaundiced about the forums.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's hysterical that Sale calls out Weir for "attention seeking". Who went on every TV interview to whine about not getting the gold medal? And kept whining until she was placated? This broad is a poster child for poor sportsmanship.

She can have her opinion, but what she said in the media was more than borderline anti-gay. This is more of that whole Canadian push to "masculinize" figure skating, and I can't see how any promising skater who doesn't fit that image will be anxious to skate for Canada.

I never could stand Sale and her comments on everything just make me dislike her more and more.

She is old, old news. Why doesn't she just go away and cite her opinions to a mirror or to her supposedly errant husband?

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never could stand Sale and her comments on everything just make me dislike her more and more.

She is old, old news. Why doesn't she just go away and cite her opinions to a mirror or to her supposedly errant husband?
Couldn't agree with you more, Chuck.

enoh

Rinkside
If you think JW is attention seeker and don't like it, do not give him attention by posting to this thread. But of course you can't help contradicting yourselves, can you? Then again, what am I doing here? See what I am saying?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What an unpleasant way to express her opinion about a person. To me her gestures and face moves look almost hateful :confused: :scratch:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What an unpleasant way to express her opinion about a person. To me her gestures and face moves look almost hateful :confused: :scratch:
I think I lost even more respect for her because of her reaction to the couple who skated Love Story at the 2010 Olympics.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think I lost even more respect for her because of her reaction to the couple who skated Love Story at the 2010 Olympics.

Dee - as usual, you hit the nail on the head... I didn't even notice that Johnny had on a Russian jacket at the Olympics. I did notice his funky scores. I didn't find the Monster Child afraid of Johnny's costume and preening - he thought it was hysterical. I was afraid regarding the SOI's decision not to cast him.

But Jamie - please. I have been a fan for years... right up to her reaction to the Russian couple's Love & Story. Its not necessary to sneer at a couple who are obviously fans and did as a tribute. She's the one that's bad for figure skating, imo.

And let's keep it real for just a second - since when is men's figure skating considered the butchness sport anyway? Gimme a break.

MasterB

Final Flight
Wow, I can't believe there is actually a woman out there who doesn't appreciate Johny. I personally can't stand his antics but, I can live with them. Is not as if Johny is the only gay factor of men figure skating. There are plenty of other queens to keep skating gay forever.

I love Jamie but, she definitely comes across as a homo-phobe.

kyla2

Final Flight
Despicable

I cannot believe a skater would speak this way about a fellow athlete and skater. It is despicable. Johhny Weir represented figure skating and his country at the Olympics beautifully. He skated two great programs and responded gracefully to inane comments about his masculinity. She should be ashamed of herself but I am not sure she has the capacity. She is also inarticulate and just plain mean. When I think of Johnny Weir, I will think of a man who skated with passion, artistry, and athleticism. He will not be forgotten.

Bennett

Record Breaker
A bit off topic, but was it this Olympics or the last one when Johnny wore a Russian jacket at practices?
I agree that it's not a PC thing to do. Glad that he was not representing the Japanese team which banned a snowboarder who dressed the official uniform casually (loosening the tie, not putting the shirt in the pants) at the airport from attending the Opening Ceremony and was almost about to ban him from competing at the Games! The incident was discussed at the Diet, not to mention the huge public outcry attacking him, his parents, his university, and his team leaders. If it had been the Russian team, I bet they might have reacted in a similar line. Orser as well, if it had been the other way around (a Korean coach wearing a jacket of another country), they would not have been very happy.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Bennett, it was the last Olympics that Johnny wore the Russian jacket...

That's four years ago then....... Anyway, was it one of the reasons why he was attacked and threatened to be killed by part of the public after the last Olympics?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A bit off topic, but was it this Olympics or the last one when Johnny wore a Russian jacket at practices?
I agree that it's not a PC thing to do. Glad that he was not representing the Japanese team which banned a snowboarder who dressed the official uniform casually (loosening the tie, not putting the shirt in the pants) at the airport from attending the Opening Ceremony and was almost about to ban him from competing at the Games! The incident was discussed at the Diet, not to mention the huge public outcry attacking him, his parents, his university, and his team leaders. If it had been the Russian team, I bet they might have reacted in a similar line. Orser as well, if it had been the other way around (a Korean coach wearing a jacket of another country), they would not have been very happy.

Orser will have an interesting time at this Olympics. During the ladies, he will be wearing a Korean jacket with YuNa , and during the and men's, he will be wearing a Team USA jacket for Adam Rippon.

The funniest coach/jacket two step was done by Marina Zoueva & Igor Shpilband band. Marina wore a Canadian jacket and marched with V&M in the opening ceremony & Igor wore a USA jacket and marched at the opening ceremonies with D&W.