Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dance FD

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    Ice dancing is not all about twizzles and spins (unless you are an Igor Shpilband team who need to rely on those elements (and lifts) to compensate for not having superior skating skills and speed).
    Ok, we all get it. You're not a fan of igor Shpilband, but lumping all of his teams into one group of so-called insuperior skills and speed just sounds ignorant. Obviously the judges and the public don't mind what he is doing or else they wouldn't have named his teams to the Gold and Silver medals at the Olympics. And if you think they're unjustified--well you may well be one of the "0.00000255%" of the population like you want.
    I don't get what you mean by "introverted" skating style either. I've never seen a top ice dance team that showed aboslutely zero emotion and skated with their arms and faces stoic as your statement would imply. Especially when comparing it to V/M. I guess anything without flamboyant arm movements or excessive exaggeration is "introverted" to you.

Custom Title
    Seriously. Especially since the team generally considered the fastest is a Shpilband team.

Didn't watch the I/K one. I hate their costumes, and I've ranted about it before. Paul/Islam... well, it was an interesting program and they have presence, but they're so unrefined

Custom Title
    I think the Shibutanis do some things quite well - like, their twizzles are top notch and they have good lifts. I wouldn't call them introverted, though - I think they are more robotic (I don't mean this in a bad way, necessarily). Like they haven't learned to emote and reach the audiences yet, which is quite normal for a young team.

Medalist
    I never meant introverted as a bad thing!!! It's a GOOD thing, they have an introverted style ala V/M as in the more inward expression (as opposed to OTT/flamboyance of some of the other teams)... except Shibutani/Shibutani don't have that....magic(magic? ) or should i say ability to take the audience into their own "world" just yet. Robotic is probably best to describe them at this point. need to work more on the emotional side of skating, but as i said in my second post, i'll wait for 2018 for them to develop this.

and Shibutani/Shibutani are good, the execution of element by element is well done. Nice lift(opening position of the first one taken from v/m's 07 fd but thats expected, Igor's teams all share lifts and footwork and choreography)

Icenetwork decided to publish no article about the dance competition/results. lol
    Last edited by piano18; 03-13-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Custom Title
    That's hardly surprising considering the "lovely" article they published when the Shibutanis were only 3rd in the JGPF. Their reporting is terrible. For the first JGP event last year, they didn't even mention Shelepen or I/K as contenders, when anyone could've typed in their names on YT and seen what they are capable of. Not to mention that I/K at the time finished 4th at Russian nationals - and Russian ice dance teams are always a threat in the JGP. Some time last year, they also misspelled Murakami and all the names of the Russian pairs teams (this was I think a couple of seasons ago).
    Last edited by oleada; 03-13-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    That's hardly surprising considering the "lovely" article they published when the Shibutanis were only 3rd in the JGPF. Their reporting is terrible. For the first JGP event last year, they didn't even mention Shelepen or I/K as contenders, when anyone could've typed in their names on YT and seen what they are capable of. Not to mention that I/K at the time finished 4th at Russian nationals - and Russian ice dance teams are always a threat in the JGP. Some time last year, they also misspelled Murakami and all the names of the Russian pairs teams (this was I think a couple of seasons ago).
    Is it :

The silver medalists, Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov, also from Russia, presented a routine to music from the movie Schindler's List.

The Russians, who are not Jewish, have encountered criticism that they are trivializing a black period of history by attempting to tell the story in an unsuitable medium. Ilinykh is dressed in a grey and white striped concentration camp outfit and is shot at the end.

Medalist
    Yes, IN gets a lot of foreign/European names wrong. How many times have I read Fabian Bourzart before they finally get it right. lol

Custom Title
    What I got from the tone of that article is that they were trying to imply that the Russians won because of politics and not on their own talent.

Marina Zoueva, who coaches the Shibutani siblings, said, "I can't explain why Maia and Alex got Level 2 on their diagonal steps. They received Level 3 in previous competitions. I've had other experts come up to me to say they don't know why, either."

So much scoring in Ice Dance is based on reputation. I hardly think this will affect the Shibutani's 4th place. After all it is still top 5. we have to watch I/K in the near future. I mean like who expected it?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    So much scoring in Ice Dance is based on reputation. I hardly think this will affect the Shibutani's 4th place. After all it is still top 5. we have to watch I/K in the near future. I mean like who expected it?
    Uh...I/K have been touted as potential JW winners since their first JGP event this year.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Uh...I/K have been touted as potential JW winners since their first JGP event this year.
    Thank you. I was more expecting P/G which were highly acclaimed last season.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Joe, Guerreiro skated with Riazanova last year. They finished 3rd at jr worlds. She split with him to pursue seniors with Tkachenko. R&T were 2nd alternates to Worlds this year.

Guerreiro teamed up with Pushkash over the summer, as nearly as I can guess. They finished 1st in one JGP and 2nd in another and qualified for the JGPF, where they finished 5th, I think. Shibs were 3rd, I/K second, M/K first.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Thank you. I was more expecting P/G which were highly acclaimed last season.
    I believe the team you are mentioning broke up and he was here this year with a new partner. But as for I/K. They were labeled by a lot of dance fans as the future of ice dance since the moment they debuted on the Junior circuit. What people weren't sure about is if inexperience, or politics would do them in this year. Inexperience because this is the first year on the Junior circuit, and politics because maybe the Russian federation was going to want them to have a little more experience before really backing them. But as a team they have been getting better by the minute and are scarily good. They are already better than the young Russian dance team that was sent to the Olympics (the 2007 Junior World Champs) and many feel they are the best young Russian dance team since K/O.

But its hard to know because the skate gods can be cruel. But this was always regarded as a team to watch. They've got everything and are just amazingly polished for their age and experience.
    Last edited by bekalc; 03-13-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Joe, Guerreiro skated with Riazanova last year. They finished 3rd at jr worlds. She split with him to pursue seniors with Tkachenko. R&T were 2nd alternates to Worlds this year.

Guerreiro teamed up with Pushkash over the summer, as nearly as I can guess. They finished 1st in one JGP and 2nd in another and qualified for the JGPF, where they finished 5th, I think. Shibs were 3rd, I/K second, M/K first.
    thanks for the info Doris, I really have to follow Juniors better than I do, but what happened to Riazanova?

On the Ice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast