Your top ten men of all time? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your top ten men of all time?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Jeff Buttle
Dai
Tomas
Johnny Weir

I was tempted to make it the who's-the-cutest list.:), which should also include Stephane, Adam Rippon, and Fedor.

:laugh: I agree! Although how can you leave Joubert off a cute list? Joubert and Verner better bring it at Worlds, I'm so sick of them being sad and disappointing, I want to see the REAL Joubert and Verner!

Layfan

Record Breaker
:laugh: I agree! Although how can you leave Joubert off a cute list? Joubert and Verner better bring it at Worlds, I'm so sick of them being sad and disappointing, I want to see the REAL Joubert and Verner!

I think there is a hottest skater list somewhere ... I think I saw Joubert making regularly appearances .. :love: ... and Evan.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think there is a hottest skater list somewhere ... I think I saw Joubert making regularly appearances .. :love: ... and Evan.

:laugh: I'd put Michal and Tomas on that list too, and Contesti:love:, although I know some people think Tomas is funny looking.

seniorita

Record Breaker
A well that looks like fun, since I started watching fs, I know all their programs by heart of:

Plushy : well dah!:)
Yagudin : look above
Lambiel : little zebra has my heart :love:
Daisuke : Apart from everything else, i want to go shopping with him!:cool:
Kozuka : My next uber case :rock:
Abt : He reminded me of Aramis of 3 musketeers
Honda: One more golden era boy
Weir: Has his own style, reminds me of none else, i love his arms
Buttle: I started to appreciate him when I saw him in exhibitions
Klimkin: underestimated
Savoie : the same

I m sure I forgot someone :think:

Future loves: Amodio, Hanyu, Fernandez, Song

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I have to list ten? Too much work to sort them all out. :laugh:

Alexei Yagudin x 10. ;)

"There is only one Alexei Yagudin." I wrote that more times than I can remember, a lot more than ten.
:love:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Plushy and many of the greatest of the greats wish and dream they could be like Dick Button.

So I will pick Dick Button - who was the greatest innovator ever seen in Men's skating,
And let's not forget we are getting close to 60 years - over half a century - since another man has won back to back OGM's.

Truth is - they all pale in comparison to Uncle Dick and his accomplishments.

I have to list ten? Too much work to sort them all out. :laugh:

Alexei Yagudin x 10. ;)

"There is only one Alexei Yagudin." I wrote that more times than I can remember, a lot more than ten.
:love:

I like your style!

If we're also doing a "hot" list, hmmm....Yagudin could top that one, certainly, and Ilya Kulik. I'd tie them for first place. Definitely Brian Joubert. There's a good bunch of "be still, my heart" skaters among pairs and ice dancers. Paul Martini, for example, Paul Duchesnay, Christopher Dean, Sergei Ponomorenko (spelling? I'll have to check later). I'll be back to edit when other heartthrobs come to mind.

Big Deal

Final Flight
1. John Curry ( my all-time favourite, a ballet dancer on the ice with perfect technique, musicality.
He was an ARTIST.)

2. Stephane Lambiel. Very much similar quality to No 1. with more difficult jumps as their time was
different.Not the same perfectionist than Curry.

3. Alexei Yagudin. Charm, crispy technique, and artistry in his last 2 amateur years. Stunning.

4. Toller Cranston. Without him the figure skating would not be what it is today.A real artist with a lots of innovations. His affect lasts long , even nowdays.

5.Ilia Kulik. Fantastic skater his pro years made him fully grown up. Artistry and technique. He is a virtuos skater.

6. Kurt Browning. Artistry, technique, masculinity. A bit less original than the above mentioned one's, but stunning.

7. Brian Boitano. Great athletecism. Strength. Beautiful jumps.

8. Brian Orser. Artistry, virtuos technique. Great spirit.

9.Philip Candeloro. The best entertainer. Fantastic jumps. Individuality.

10.Elvis Stojko. Individual style. Masculinism, athleticism. Great jumps.

There are many others to remember to, but these are my all time favourites, I can w atch their programs for hours, even if they are NOT doing jumps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Plushy and many of the greatest of the greats wish and dream they could be like Dick Button.

So I will pick Dick Button - who was the greatest innovator ever seen in Men's skating,
And let's not forget we are getting close to 60 years - over half a century - since another man has won back to back OGM's.

For me too, Dick Button remains the greatest men's skater for all the reasons you said.
But I only know this. I didn't get see it. So, it's fun to see who is everyone's favorite skater of the ones they actually grew up with... But yes, Uncle Dick brought more to the sport than anyone else has ... or probably will. He has an unfair advantage when it comes to legacy because there isn't as much room for pushing the technical limit or innovative jumps as there was when the sport was younger.

Weir: Has his own style, reminds me of none else, i love his arms

That's a nice way of describing Johnny. I agree. He really doesn't channel anyone else. Just Johnny. He does say that it was Oksana Baiul's Swan Lake at the 1994 Olympics that inspired him to skate. After I heard him say that, I felt like I understood Johnny's skating better and what he tries to create on ice, which is a sort of fantasy.

Enero

On the Ice
1. Kulik - I think Scotty Hamilton said it best - Pure. Pure is the best way to describe this guy's skating. It is so beautiful, light, effortless - just breathtaking to watch. I have yet to see a skater who can do such difficult jumps a make it look as if no effort was needed pull it off. He's simply amazing.
2. Plushenko- He's been in the game for 12+ years and to still be a force to be reckon with is amazing. Also he's extremely charismatic and takes command of the ice when he's skating.
3. Brian Botiano - I miss seeing him skate and do the Tiano Lutz and that huge death drop. He's definitely a legend.
4. Lambiel - His skating is a work of art. IMO he's probably one the best if not the best artist in the sport for today.
5. Kurt Browning - I specifically enjoyed some of the work he did as a pro skater and a choregrapher.
6. Candelero - A little clunky with his skating, but he was never boring. I wonder what he's up to these days?? :)

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Only the ones I've seen in competitions after Albertville and on

Stephane Lambiel Darn you, triple axel T.T
Alexei Yagudin The whole package!
Todd Eldridge LO----VED his 'who let the dogs out' :D
Ilya Kulik
Evegeny Plushenko Loved his skating under 6.0

Kurt Browning The best entertainer!
Elvis Stojko Too bad he talks too much nowadays, but I did appreciate his extra toughness
Daisuke Takahashi
Johnny Weir
Paul Wylie

Layfan

Record Breaker
1. Kulik - I think Scotty Hamilton said it best - Pure. Pure is the best way to describe this guy's skating. It is so beautiful, light, effortless - just breathtaking to watch. I have yet to see a skater who can do such difficult jumps a make it look as if no effort was needed pull it off. He's simply amazing.
2. Plushenko- He's been in the game for 12+ years and to still be a force to be reckon with is amazing. Also he's extremely charismatic and takes command of the ice when he's skating.
3. Brian Botiano - I miss seeing him skate and do the Tiano Lutz and that huge death drop. He's definitely a legend.
4. Lambiel - His skating is a work of art. IMO he's probably one the best if not the best artist in the sport for today.
5. Kurt Browning - I specifically enjoyed some of the work he did as a pro skater and a choregrapher.
6. Candelero - A little clunky with his skating, but he was never boring. I wonder what he's up to these days?? :)

Heh. Scott said of Ilia's ho-hum reaction after his great Olympic SP, that if HE'D skated that clean, he'd be jumping up and down pumping his fists .... it gets me everytime. You Scotty? No, really. I'd never believe it.
He also says that Ilia's footwork sequences weren't the most difficult and that great footwork among the men was a bit of a dying art. Guess COP changed that. Some people like COP footwork, some don't. But you can't deny that you have to have difficulty in it.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Of all time? Difficult. All time is a long time, imo.
Of the recent few years though:

1. Daisuke. Pure magic. Great personality.

2. Jeremy Abbott, the last 2 seasons. Shows skating of the finest and highest quality, when he manages to control his nerves.

3. Takahiko Kozuka, the last 2 seasons as well. For his unique style.

4. Alban Preaubert, couple of programs.

5. Johnny Weir, 2004-2006. Gosh, he used to be so good, innovative, original, breathtaking, wonderful, tear-jerking, magical, beautiful, unforgettable, genuine, emotive and elegant.

6. I liked Zhenya Plushenko's Olys ex gala number. He looked kind of.. sincere in it, for a change.

7. I'm looking forward to seeing more from Hanyu, Amodio and Song in the years to come.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
I can't do top ten but Alexei Yagudin with out any doubt is first on my list! Man in the Iron Mask at the 2002 Olympics was the greatest skate ever by anyone. That's just my opinion.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I was waiting for someone to pick Dick Button. I agree. He is high on the list.

PetraP

Spectator
Alexei Yagudin is the best skater of all time. No other skater is coming close to him.

Enero

On the Ice
janetfan said:

I was waiting for someone to pick Dick Button. I agree. He is high on the list.

Dick was impressive, but there's always better. I'd like to see someone pull a Gillis Grafstrom who won (3) Olympic Gold Medals consecutively in singles.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm only listing names from when I started watching the sport, both Olympic eligible and professional skating, back in 1992.

In no particular order:

Alexei Yagudin
Stephane Lambiel
Jeremy Abbott
Kurt Browning
Brian Boitano
Paul Wylie
Tomas Verner
Jeffrey Buttle
Matt Savoie
Daisuke Takahashi

Yes, some of them may never be considered legends in the sport or be revered for their competitive records, but these guys have moved me and entertained me the most since I've been watching this sport.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
1. Evan Lysacek - he is an amazing skater at all levels (yes, even the quad when he does it and such a sweet person and he resurrected my love of skating. Oh, and he's just about the hottest person I've ever seen.
2. Ryan Bradley - I love his programs, they always entertain me.
3. Johnny Weir - sure he's controversial, but he was the first male skater I really enjoyed
4. Jeff Buttle - I always really liked his skating and he seems like a nice person
5. Alexei Yagudin - he had amazing technical skills, from what I remember
6. Brian Joubert - when he's on, he's pretty darn good
7. Brian Boitano - he did amazing jumps
8. Scott Hamilton - also does amazing jumps and back flips
9. Kulik (can't remember his first name) - he's been gone a while, but impressed me in SOI
10. Todd Eldredge - again, I always enjoy his SOI programs

Last edited: