Robin Cousins
Kurt Browning (pro)

Alexei Yagudin
Victor Petrenko(professional years)
Evgeni Plushenko
Scott Hamilton
Jeffrey Buttlle
Toller Cranston

This was tough as I also love Weirs skating. And I decided the Brians got boring after the competitive years. What about y'all? there are so many great men. I also loved the competitive years of Elvis. This was hard!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I love Tomas Verner's exhibition pieces. His competition programs are always good when he's on, but he's a hot and cold skater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGHy1tIVuMg 2009 ex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNowm6cK3S4 2008 ex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRZMRpnLPPY 2007 ex

What's not to love? He is hilarious and adorable and really gets into his programs. I can't decide if I like his skating so much because I think he's hot and love his personality or if he is actually really good. His exhibitions are always great, and his programs CAN be great.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm only including ones who won national titles and/or world or Olympic medals, even though I have enjoyed some lower-level skaters possibly more than some of these.

1) Kurt Browning, without a doubt
2) Elvis Stojko - I don't like him anymore, but I really enjoyed him when he was competitive, I was always on the edge of my seat during his performances and even cried one time he came second. unfortunately he's become a jerk.
3) Evan Lysacek - I've really come to love him the last two or three seasons
4) Michael Weiss
5) Jeffrey Buttle
6) Stephane Lambiel
7) Patrick Chan
8) Brian Boitano
9) Brian Orser
10) Todd Eldredge

volk

Final Flight
Yagudin
Browning
Hamilton
Plushenko
Lambiel

Don't care about the rest

jennylovskt

Medalist
Not in particular order:

Alexei Yagudin
Kurt Brownings
Brian Boitano
Jeffrey Buttle
Jeremy Abbott
Johnny Weir (2007 and before)
Evgeni Plushenko
Brian Joubert (2009 and later)
Stephane Lambiel
Daisuke Takahashi

bibi24

Final Flight
  1. Ilia Kulik - rare combination of natural athletic ability and unique artistry
  2. Evgeni Plushenko - most dominate skater in recent history
  3. Todd Eldredge - clean, neat, precise skater
  4. Brian Boitano
  5. Alexi Yagudin - great attitude and tremendous performer
  6. Brian Orser - Mr. 3A, great programs + artistry!
  7. Elvis Stojko - best competitor in his glory years
  8. Takeshi Honda - natural jumper and cool emotions :)
  9. Brian Joubert
  10. Rudy Galindo - 1996!! + YMCA!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
1. Kurt Browning
2. Scott Hamilton
3. Paul Wylie
4. Brian Boitano
5. Evan Lysacek
6. Alexei Yagudin
7. Ryan Bradley
8. Viktor Petrenko
9. Brian Orser
10. Michael Weiss

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In no particular order:

John Curry (as a pro also)
Robin Cousins (as a pro also)
Ilia Kulik
Evan Lysacek
Stephane Lambiel
Jeffrey Buttle
Jeremy Abbott
Daisuke Takahashi
Paul Wylie (pro)
Michael Weiss (pro)

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No special order (except for top three)

Todd Eldredge (mid 1990's to the present)
Brian Orser (too bad I didn't follow the years between 1984-1988 - after the "Battle of the Brians" I followed it all)
Paul Wylie (especially as a pro)
Kurt Browning (especially as a pro)
Matt Savoie
Jeff Buttle
Brian Boitano
Ilia Kulik
Robin Cousins
Takahiko Kozuka

Honorable mention:
Mike Weiss (pro)
Takeshi Honda
Elvis Stojko (during the 1990's to 2002) - I'm disappointed in the comments he has made lately
Alexander Abt
Jeremy Abbott

Last edited:

gracie

Rinkside
Kurt Browning is the skater who always took (takes) my breath away. He is at home in his body with the perfect combination of grace, fluidity, strength and athleticism.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Honorable mention:
Mike Weiss (pro)
Takeshi Honda
Elvis Stojko (during the 1990's to 2002) - I'm disappointed in the comments he has made lately
Alexander Abt
Jeremy Abbott

Oh, I like Alexander Abt too!

10 is not enough to fit all my favorites.:)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
John Curry
Todd Eldredge
Toller Cranston
Paul Wylie
Chris Bowman
Scott Hamilton
Johnny Weir
Ryan Bradley
Evan Lysacek
Ilia Kulik

seafan

Rinkside
Kurt Browning
Scott Hamilton
Evan Lysacek
Brian Orser
Gary Beacom
Robin Cousins
Philippe Candeloro
Elvis Stojko
Todd Eldredge
Scott Davis
Takahiko Kozuka

viv

On the Ice
1. Lambiel

2. John Curry (I only know him from youtube clips, but wow!)
3. Yagudin
4. Weir
5. Kulik
6. Robin Cousins
7. Abt
8. Takahashi
9. Rippon (I know he is young, but the question was whom we enjoyed most ;))
10. Verner, when he is on. And Petrenko. Can't decide.

Kurt Browning is the skater who always took (takes) my breath away. He is at home in his body with the perfect combination of grace, fluidity, strength and athleticism.

I completely second that! Browning is one of a kind: graceful, musical, innovative, lightning-quick. Next would come Wylie, John Curry (I'm so glad to see him on so many people's lists!), Yagudin, Kulik. Of today's skaters, Takahashi and probably Lambiel. There are others, but those are the only ones I can be definite about. I like keeping open spaces on my lists! It leaves room for the future.

christinaskater

Medalist
Jeffrey Buttle
Kurt Browning
John Curry
Alexei Yagudin
Ilia Kulik
Daisuke Takahashi
Todd Eldredge
Evan Lysacek
Brian Boitano
Brian Orser/Scott Hamilton

zizi31

Rinkside
1. Plushenko (in his prime he was amazing - great expression and technique)
2. Yagudin
3. Joubert
4. Lambiel
4. Weir
6. Lysacek
7. Takahashi
8. Sandhu - wish he could've fixed his jumps, but I loved his passion and dramatic flair.

Not that familiar with male skaters from the past, so I won't add them.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Jeff Buttle
Dai
Tomas
Johnny Weir

I was tempted to make it the who's-the-cutest list.:), which should also include Stephane, Adam Rippon, and Fedor.

tommyk75

Rinkside
I've decided to consider just their "amateur" programs:

1. Brian Boitano (so much depth, always tried to stay away from cliches and cutesiness)
2. Kulik
3. Wylie
4. Yagudin
5. Candelero
6. Takahashi
7. Browning
8. Davis, Scott (his jumps were iffy, but those spins!)
9. Galindo
10. Lambiel

Layfan

Record Breaker
These are the ones who won me over since I started watching figure skating in 1992. Otherwise, it's too hard and I'd list a whole bunch of skaters that I only know from reputation and fuzzy youtube videos, like Dick Button and John Curry.
And these are just my personal favs, not "the greatest" from any objective point of view.

1. Alexei Yagudin. Truly the whole package. Power jumper who always made you feel his passion. He makes the whole debate over artistry v.s. athleticism in figure skating moot. Just like Kim Yuna. And he gave by far my favorite gold medal performance in all the Olympics I watched since 1992.

2. Paul Wylie. I wish more men skated with his elegance and beautiful lines these days. And he gave one of the most heart-warming moments in Olympic history. A moment named later named after himself, no less! How can he not be on the list :biggrin:

3. Rudy Galindo. Ditto with Rudy for elegance and lines. If I had to choose only one men's program to watch for the rest of my life stuck on a deserted island it would be Rudy Galindo's 1996 LP at nationals.

4. Ilia Kulik. If he hadn't worn that stupid giraffe outfit at the Olympics maybe he'd be at the top of my list. No, just kidding. :rolleye: But he's just the type of gorgeous, perfect skater that I love.

5. Stephane Lambiel. Wished he'd had his two perfect skates but his qualities are obvious. Thank goodness that even with his bobbles he was good enough for World gold twice. (wish Sasha could have been that lucky. :cry:)

6. Evgeni Plushenko. Too bad he made such a big deal about the quad this year because Plush is so, so much more than just a jumper. Maybe he didn't show it off as much as he could have in 2010 but he certainly did in past years. And his rivalry with Yags was as epic as the Battle of the Brians. Hope we get to see two such surpassing men in such a rivalry soon.

7. Evan and Johnny. Come on. Let's give them both some credit for lifting U.S. men's skating from the dolldrums it was in dangerous of slipping into with their rivalry and with Johnny's gorgeous skating and wackiness, and with Evan's success and gold medal wins at a time when a lot U.S. fans were feeling down about skating.

8. Jeremy Abbott. His success came late and will he ever finally prove himself on a big international skage? If he does the world will finally know what an amazing skater he is. Just like Paul Wylie.

9. Ryan Bradley. Well, since this is just a perfonal favorites list, I get to put one guy who obviously would make any objective "greats list." But what a fun skater.

Well, that's 10 since I tied Evan and Johnny. :biggrin: