Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite skating rivalry of all time?

Banned

Your favorite skating rivalry of all time?

I guess because I remember post 1994 better, and it would be the most acrimonious ever debated on the internet...the tara/michelle rivalry. Why? Two great skaters/both phenoms who peaked early. One outjumped the other. One was called an artist, the other a better jumper. Fights still break out over the Nagano podium. (My choice was Chen Lu for gold for her exquisite mature artistry. I'm not saying I did not agree with judging. I think all 3 skated their best. I just admire Chen Lu's sublime skating though I loved MK and Tara in the day).

What rivalries were your favorite and why?
    Here are some I recall:
    Women
    Witt/ Sumners
    Witt/Debi Thomas
    Yama/Ito
    Nancy/Tonya
    Nancy/Oksana
    Kwan/Slutskaya
    Kwan/Cohen
    Kwan/Hughes
    Men
    Brian/Brian
    Yagudin/Plushenko
    Lysacek/Plushenko
    the pairs and ice dance? Which pushed the sport, had lots of drama and got our attention? I hope some of you with the long great memories (old folks! LOL) weigh in here for fun...

I remember Punsalen /Swallow against Roca/ Sur

What was your favorite rivalry in which discipline and how did it affect the sport?

Custom Title
    Yagudin/Plushenko, hands down.

Their rivalry pushed the technical boundaries of the sport, brought out the best in both men, skating-wise (e.g. Plushenko actually had choreography back then), and it was so deliciously personal.

Plus, it produced hilariously epic fluff pieces like this. Oh, and also this. Seriously, what's not to love?

Nancy/Tonya - Off/On the Ice, the drama, controversy, the court, talk shows, etc. and it was epic. Heck, even the non figure skating fans paid attention.

Yuna/Mao - Nuff' said.

Kwan vs. the rest.

Yagudin vs. Plushenko

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Yagudin/Plushenko, hands down.

Their rivalry pushed the technical boundaries of the sport, brought out the best in both men, skating-wise (e.g. Plushenko actually had choreography back then), and it was so deliciously personal.

Plus, it produced hilariously epic fluff pieces like this. Oh, and also this. Seriously, what's not to love?
    thanks, Evangeline...great videos...a voodoo/hypnosis curse? Lol. It was the greatest mens rivalry I recall.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijoux View Post
    Lysacek/Plushenko
    As much as you or anyone wish, there was NO such thing as Lysacek/Plushenko rivalry!:sheesh: We have to make that clear.

In 2006, Plushenko was a clear front runner for the gold medal in every competition he entered. Lysacek was then just a kid and a new comer. He wasn't even a top contender at 2006 Olympics. Plushenko retired after 2006 Olympics. Lysacek has competed in the next three years in Plushenko's absence. This past season, Plushenko came back. However, the one and only time they both competed in the same competition was at 2010 Olympics where Plushenko was among a few top contenders for the Olympic podium. There were quite a few top contenders including Lysacek. Even after men's SP, Takahashi was more of a closer rivalry to Plushenko than Lysacek to him. We all know what has happened in the LP. Lysacek came on top even to his own surprise because Plushenko was too confident so that he didn't collect enough points for himself while skating last. In the skating history, Plushenko was a skating giant and a legend, where Lysacek was only one of the skaters who won an important competition or two (also, he was famous at using the bypass for some prestigious element to win) Where was the rivalry?
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 04-11-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Witt v. Debby Thomas - they even had the same LP music, Carmen. Can you imagine Yu Na and Mao having the same LP music? I think a lot of us would have oxygen mask on hand and all the cardiologists work load would be doubled.

Brian v. Brian - they even had the same first name.

Yu Na v. Mao - as cooper said, "nuff' said"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Even after men's SP, Takahashi was more of a closer rivalry to Plushenko than Lysacek to him.
    How so? I agree with your premise though. One event does not create a rivalry.

Yagudin-Plushenko is probably the right answer, but the aftermath wasn't pretty.

Linichuk/Karponossov vs Regöczy/Sallay

Asada vs Kim, of course. Has anyone tallied their head to head totals?

Davis/White vs Virtue/Moir... this potential rivalry could be legendary. But I don't think it'll get that far (certainly hasn't yet).

Duchesnays vs the Ice Dancing Establishment.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jian10 View Post
    Witt v. Debby Thomas - they even had the same LP music, Carmen. Can you imagine Yu Na and Mao having the same LP music? I think a lot of us would have oxygen mask on hand and all the cardiologists work load would be doubled.
    Well said. A you tube video of Yuna practicing to Bells of Moscow (which is a normal thing as all skaters practice other skaters music on competition ice when it's not their turn), caused a controversy. But boy, it would be really interesting if they skated to the same music. May be not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    As much as you or anyone wish, there was NO such thing as Lysacek/Plushenko rivalry!:sheesh: We have to make that clear.

In 2006, Plushenko was a clear front runner for the gold medal in every competition he entered. Lysacek was then just a kid and a new comer. He wasn't even a top contender at 2006 Olympics. Plushenko retired after 2006 Olympics. Lysacek has competed in the next three years in Plushenko's absence. This past season, Plushenko came back. However, the one and only time they both competed in the same competition was at 2010 Olympics where Plushenko was among a few top contenders for the Olympic podium. There were quite a few top contenders including Lysacek. Even after men's SP, Takahashi was more of a closer rivalry to Plushenko than Lysacek to him. We all know what has happened in the LP. Lysacek came on top even to his own surprise because Plushenko was too confident so that he didn't collect enough points for himself while skating last. In the skating history, Plushenko was a skating giant and a legend, where Lysacek was only one of the skaters who won an important competition or two (also, he was famous at using the bypass for some prestigious element to win) Where was the rivalry?
    no twasn;t a big rivalry as eveyone was ready to crown evgeni in torino. Evan started competing in2004 and made 4th at Olympics so he was a rival even then. As far as the last year Evgeni has been concerned mainly with Evan, the reigning world champ going in, It had to have been a rivalry or plush would have not trash talked Evan/results. There are many more, I just threw out examples.

The battle of the Brians!

Custom Title
    Michelle/Tara for that year and a half or so from 1997 to the '98 Olympics were true rivals, because they competed for the same national and international medals and were the main front runners much of the time.

I'd like to say John Curry and Toller Cranston, though it's not really accurate. Curry was in command, while Cranston was held back by his weakness in school figures. But between the two, they elevated men's skating by bringing in two different types of artistry, classical ballet-based by Curry and rather Bohemian by Cranston. The other top guys from the era, Vladimir Kovalev and Sergei Volkov of the USSR and Jan Hoffmann of East Germany, have left little comparable legacy. (All three were workmanlike skaters with great school figure skills.) So Curry and Cranston could be considered a rivalry of sorts; their names are certainly spoken with one breath much of the time.

Of course the two Brians! They probably pushed each other to greater heights than either would have achieved alone, and they were gentlemen about it: no sniping or trash talk.

Michelle/Irina: they seemed to alternate World Championships through the early 2000's. I'm sure Irina's spacious jumps pushed Michelle to sharpen her technical level, while Michelle's flow and musicality spurred Irina to do more artistically. Like the two Brians, they were friendly rivals. In fact, I think they were actual friends.

YuNa and Mao--and I hope this one goes on for at least another four years!
    Last edited by Olympia; 04-11-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    The battle of the Brians!
    I would agree with the "Battle of the Brians." It was so big it pushed all of the other skating events into the background. The Witt/Thomas rivalry had been going on for a few seasons but even with the added "Carmen" intrigue the "Brians" ruled the '88 Olympics.
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-11-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Custom Title
    MK and Slute of course. And many other listed in the above. BTW, I don't consider Kwan/Cohen had a rivalry. To me rivals need to have very close and similar accoplishments, and Cohen did not even come close to Kwan.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    My fav from videos
    Battle of Brians
    Battle of Carmens

My fav in real time
    The Kween vs anyone, but the rivalry with Irina was the most adorable
    Yagudin vs Plushenko
    Yuna vs Mao

Plushenko vs Lysacek? lol. Nope, not even for a fluff. Evan won Evgeni in the Olympics. Thats about all the rivalry. They were not the only two fabs for gold, like 2002 olys. Even Brian or Stephane vs Evgeni would be more valid to name it rivalry over the decade. Otherwise by result Plushenko vs Sandu was also a rivalry?I dont think so.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Yagudin vs. Plushenko for the men and Kwan vs. Slutskaya for the women are the best I think.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast