View Poll Results: Philippe Candeloro: artistic genius or disgusting creep?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • genius

13 81.25%
  • creep

3 18.75%

Thread: Philippe Candeloro: artistic genius or disgusting creep?

Philippe Candeloro: artistic genius or disgusting creep?

Your opinion..

Custom Title
    Neither really. He certainly wasn't "artistic" in the way someone like Jeremy or Takahiko is. I'd just say he was entertaining in his own...admittedly odd but always fun way. And the fact that he was so unique put him closer to the "genius" category than creep.

Custom Title
    What a thoroughly unpleasant poll. Whatever you think of Candeloro's skating, there's no reason that I know of to suggest that he's disgusting or a creep.

A really nasty way to word things.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It is entirely possible to be a genius, an artist and a creep simultaneously.

His D'Artagnan program at the 1998 Olympics was wonderful.

I think some might agree with me that he is a creep. In Toller Cranston's book, the 30 Most Interesting Skaters, or whatever, he says that Kurt Browning could hardly watch Candeloro's George of the Jungle program without feeling sick to his stomach. Neither could I.. nor his Saturday Night Live one!

Medalist
    I always loved watching Philippe's programs. They were always so creative and interesting. My vote goes for genius. BTW, does anyone know what he's up to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

His D'Artagnan program at the 1998 Olympics was wonderful.
    And I say that even though I was brokenhearted for Todd finishing fourth in Nagano.

I don't feel comfortable voting in this poll (so I won't), but I actually enjoyed most of Philippe's eligible programs. However, I really think he did himself in with some of his professional programs - particularly "George of the Jungle."
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 03-28-2010 at 07:38 AM.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I don't believe Candeloro is an artist or a creep. I could never get past his feet when he skated; he never pointed his toes and his skating was a bit too heavy/labored at times. I do think he has a very creative imagination and that he is the biggest exhibitionist in skating history. I've seen more of that guy's skin than I ever cared to see. Now if he had Ponsero's or Joubert's body, I wouldn't have minded the excess skin AT ALL. Philippe is very fun though and full of charisma!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 03-28-2010 at 06:40 AM.

Hardly a genius when his skating technique was very poor but I never tho't of him as being creepy. Over the top & in poor taste at times. I give him props tho for that one move of his, don't remember what it was called but it was a spin that wound down to the ice. Innovative.

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Some of his eligible programs were kinda "genius", most of all "D'Artagnan" '98, of course. Like made for him, watching it still gives me goosebumps ... on the other hand, most of his, ahemm ... exhibitions (!) and pro performances were tasteless and sheer crap!

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    In Toller Cranston's book, the 30 Most Interesting Skaters, or whatever, he says that Kurt Browning could hardly watch Candeloro's George of the Jungle program without feeling sick to his stomach.
    Why? That's a very strong expression directed at his [Kurt's] peer skater. I don't feel it appropriate for him to say that in public. He could have just said he just did not appreciate it and explain why without sounding so strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Why? That's a very strong expression directed at his [Kurt's] peer skater. I don't feel it appropriate for him to say that in public. He could have just said he just did not appreciate it and explain why without sounding so strong.
    To Kurt's credit I don't think he knew Toller was going to quote him in a book. Toller isn't known for censoring anything. :P

I'd like to know what context it was - but I'm with Kurt, that was a waste of time program and it won the World Professional Championships - that (coupled with it going into a ProAm format soon after) is the reason pro skating went down the tubes. It was ridiculous.

That being said, his 1998 LP and his Professional "artistic" program of Braveheart are two of my favorite mens programs. His Sex Bomb where he assaulted the ice, and his george of the jungle are disgraces to his otherwise good skating programs.