Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joannie not at Worlds ??

Custom Title

Joannie not at Worlds ??

Custom Title
    thx for the news. Hope she takes a little time off to recuperate herself and family.

Minusaramadad from Arctaroon John King's Avatar
    I don't blame her. After my Dad died, I attended his funeral, and was back at work within a week. But Joannie would be hounded by reporters gathering around like locusts giving her no time to heal. Under those conditions, I doubt she would be able to even focus on her performance.

Joannie should spend this free time with her family.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I'm sorry she won't be there but she needs to take care of herself as she sees fit. Looking forward to seeing her skate again soon.

Rinkside
    After her heroic performances in Vancouver, she truly deserves to sit this one out. I don't know how she was able to hold it together so soon after her mother's unexpected death. She must have been in shock. I'm glad to see she is taking time to focus on herself and her family.

Is it too late for Samson to go?

While I agree Joannie deserves a break, Canada will be hard pressed to get two spots for next year's Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Is it too late for Samson to go?

While I agree Joannie deserves a break, Canada will be hard pressed to get two spots for next year's Worlds.
    Lacoste should go instead of Samson IMO, she is more consistent in landing her jumps. Has Joannie said anything regarding whether she will retire or continue?

Custom Title
    maybe also due to being on Thin Ice the week of worlds.
    thin ice read somewhere if skater goes is a pro.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Joannie was never actually competing in the Thin Ice thing, just giving a performance , so I don't think that could have been a major consideration.

But in my experience, having had 2 deaths in my family in 2 yrs., you can often just do what is necessary to do in the immediate aftermath..it's not really real yet..but give it a couple of weeks ,after it all really sinks in, and it's hard to keep your mind on anything. Your focus can just vanish from one moment to the next, emotion hits you out of nowhere.. for some, exhaustion can set in. I always had my doubts as to whether Joannie would be able to do Worlds. I hope she'll adjust well, and soon.

I think Canada's pretty doomed, though, for placements at next year's Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Joannie was never actually competing in the Thin Ice thing, just giving a performance , so I don't think that could have been a major consideration.

But in my experience, having had 2 deaths in my family in 2 yrs., you can often just do what is necessary to do in the immediate aftermath..it's not really real yet..but give it a couple of weeks ,after it all really sinks in, and it's hard to keep your mind on anything. Your focus can just vanish from one moment to the next, emotion hits you out of nowhere.. for some, exhaustion can set in. I always had my doubts as to whether Joannie would be able to do Worlds. I hope she'll adjust well, and soon.

I think Canada's pretty doomed, though, for placements at next year's Worlds.
    Cynthia can be good if she is having an on night, potentially make the top 10 depending on how the European ladies skate, however ever since she fell 4 times in her FS at SC I've been worried. To get two spots the placements have to add up to 28 or less right? That doesn't seem impossible, two Canadian ladies finishing 12th and 16th, I actually think that is very doable.

You cheer me up, silverlake. I wasn't sure of the points required for 2..and was too bummed to go check it out.

I adore Cynthia's skating ; too bad about the SP fluke in Vancouver..hoping for 2 good programs for her at Worlds. Myriane has yet to totally win me over, but a good showing in Turin could help nudge me along the way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    You cheer me up, silverlake. I wasn't sure of the points required for 2..and was too bummed to go check it out.

I adore Cynthia's skating ; too bad about the SP fluke in Vancouver..hoping for 2 good programs for her at Worlds. Myriane has yet to totally win me over, but a good showing in Turin could help nudge me along the way.
    Aww thanks . I am not very familiar with Myriane's skating but Kate Charbonneau just finished 7th at junior worlds and may very well have a bright future ahead of her, she is only 16 and is very elegant with nice spins. I also am a fan of Amelie Lacoste, she is a very powerful jumper and with some polishing on her basic skating and spins I think she could be quite good. Cynthia I also like, she has long, gorgeous body lines and when she's on she is lovely.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I was very shocked that she would be going. So this is not unexpected. I am sad to think that maybe we saw Joannie skate competitively for the last time. :(

If Joannie does retire, I'm sure we'll still see her quite often.

silverlake - Kate Charbonneau finished 7th in the FS, 6th overall. I like her very much and I'm glad she decided to come skate for Canada. The US has such a wealth of girls at the moment ,they'll hardly notice she's not there..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast