Joannie not at Worlds ?? | Golden Skate

Joannie not at Worlds ??

bibi24

Final Flight
thx for the news. Hope she takes a little time off to recuperate herself and family.

John King

Final Flight
I don't blame her. After my Dad died, I attended his funeral, and was back at work within a week. But Joannie would be hounded by reporters gathering around like locusts giving her no time to heal. Under those conditions, I doubt she would be able to even focus on her performance.

Wicked

Final Flight
I'm sorry she won't be there but she needs to take care of herself as she sees fit. Looking forward to seeing her skate again soon.

Sk8ingFan

Rinkside
After her heroic performances in Vancouver, she truly deserves to sit this one out. I don't know how she was able to hold it together so soon after her mother's unexpected death. She must have been in shock. I'm glad to see she is taking time to focus on herself and her family.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Is it too late for Samson to go?

While I agree Joannie deserves a break, Canada will be hard pressed to get two spots for next year's Worlds.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is it too late for Samson to go?

While I agree Joannie deserves a break, Canada will be hard pressed to get two spots for next year's Worlds.

Lacoste should go instead of Samson IMO, she is more consistent in landing her jumps. Has Joannie said anything regarding whether she will retire or continue?

fairly4

Medalist
maybe also due to being on Thin Ice the week of worlds.
thin ice read somewhere if skater goes is a pro.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Joannie was never actually competing in the Thin Ice thing, just giving a performance , so I don't think that could have been a major consideration.

But in my experience, having had 2 deaths in my family in 2 yrs., you can often just do what is necessary to do in the immediate aftermath..it's not really real yet..but give it a couple of weeks ,after it all really sinks in, and it's hard to keep your mind on anything. Your focus can just vanish from one moment to the next, emotion hits you out of nowhere.. for some, exhaustion can set in. I always had my doubts as to whether Joannie would be able to do Worlds. I hope she'll adjust well, and soon.

I think Canada's pretty doomed, though, for placements at next year's Worlds.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Joannie was never actually competing in the Thin Ice thing, just giving a performance , so I don't think that could have been a major consideration.

But in my experience, having had 2 deaths in my family in 2 yrs., you can often just do what is necessary to do in the immediate aftermath..it's not really real yet..but give it a couple of weeks ,after it all really sinks in, and it's hard to keep your mind on anything. Your focus can just vanish from one moment to the next, emotion hits you out of nowhere.. for some, exhaustion can set in. I always had my doubts as to whether Joannie would be able to do Worlds. I hope she'll adjust well, and soon.

I think Canada's pretty doomed, though, for placements at next year's Worlds.

Cynthia can be good if she is having an on night, potentially make the top 10 depending on how the European ladies skate, however ever since she fell 4 times in her FS at SC I've been worried. To get two spots the placements have to add up to 28 or less right? That doesn't seem impossible, two Canadian ladies finishing 12th and 16th, I actually think that is very doable.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)You cheer me up, silverlake. I wasn't sure of the points required for 2..and was too bummed to go check it out.

I adore Cynthia's skating ; too bad about the SP fluke in Vancouver..hoping for 2 good programs for her at Worlds. Myriane has yet to totally win me over, but a good showing in Turin could help nudge me along the way.:laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
:)You cheer me up, silverlake. I wasn't sure of the points required for 2..and was too bummed to go check it out.

I adore Cynthia's skating ; too bad about the SP fluke in Vancouver..hoping for 2 good programs for her at Worlds. Myriane has yet to totally win me over, but a good showing in Turin could help nudge me along the way.:laugh:
Aww thanks :laugh:. I am not very familiar with Myriane's skating but Kate Charbonneau just finished 7th at junior worlds and may very well have a bright future ahead of her, she is only 16 and is very elegant with nice spins. I also am a fan of Amelie Lacoste, she is a very powerful jumper and with some polishing on her basic skating and spins I think she could be quite good. Cynthia I also like, she has long, gorgeous body lines and when she's on she is lovely.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I was very shocked that she would be going. So this is not unexpected. I am sad to think that maybe we saw Joannie skate competitively for the last time. :(

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)If Joannie does retire, I'm sure we'll still see her quite often.

silverlake - Kate Charbonneau finished 7th in the FS, 6th overall. I like her very much and I'm glad she decided to come skate for Canada.:laugh: The US has such a wealth of girls at the moment ,they'll hardly notice she's not there..

silverlake22

Record Breaker
:)If Joannie does retire, I'm sure we'll still see her quite often.

silverlake - Kate Charbonneau finished 7th in the FS, 6th overall. I like her very much and I'm glad she decided to come skate for Canada.:laugh: The US has such a wealth of girls at the moment ,they'll hardly notice she's not there..

Oh ok, my bad, 5th, 6th, and 7th were like less than a point apart. I was so upset Anna let the pressure get to her and fell twice, I love that girl so much she just has that "it" quality and seems feisty and is always adorable in the Kiss and Cry. Kate reminds me a lot of Alissa Czisny :agree: , though hopefully she will prove to be a stronger competitor.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I figured the chances of this was about 50/50. I can't say that I blame her for sitting this championship out at all given the emotional and mental toll she's been under the past month. Given all she's been through, a person just doesn't recoup from that in a short period of time. A big part of me would love to see Joannie go for a record 7th senior Canadian title next season and possibly a shot at winning a World title, but another part of me sees a beautiful, strong, talented skater who just might be satisfied with accomplishing two big goals she had set for herself (a World medal, silver, and an Olympic medal, bronze) in this sport. I know Joannie will be wise and choose what is best for herself. :) I appreciate the journey she has taken me on as a fan and I really look forward to seeing what lies ahead for her, whether it be as an eligible or pro skater. Your fans love and admire you so much, Joannie!! Thanks for all the memories! :love::bow:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I can totally understand Joannie not going. She needs time. The "after Olympics" is emotional enough for a medal-winner, let alone all she's been through.

I hope we're sending the youngster. Skaters like Amelie Lacoste and Myriane Samson have been around for so long. To me, they've had their shot. If we've got a younger one with potential 4 years before the next Olympics is the right time to debut her at a Senior comp.

As for the points and the places, I do think Joannie will retire so whatever we get in spots for next year is probably what we deserve. Joannie was so far ahead of our other skaters. We need some development time. I would not be surprised to see Cynthia retire, either meaning, IMO, we probably will only have one with the ability to compete at Worlds.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I can totally understand Joannie not going. She needs time. The "after Olympics" is emotional enough for a medal-winner, let alone all she's been through.

I hope we're sending the youngster. Skaters like Amelie Lacoste and Myriane Samson have been around for so long. To me, they've had their shot. If we've got a younger one with potential 4 years before the next Olympics is the right time to debut her at a Senior comp.

As for the points and the places, I do think Joannie will retire so whatever we get in spots for next year is probably what we deserve. Joannie was so far ahead of our other skaters. We need some development time. I would not be surprised to see Cynthia retire, either meaning, IMO, we probably will only have one with the ability to compete at Worlds.

Who is this youngster people are talking about?