Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 123

Thread: Ladies FS

  1. #76
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I doubt very much that Becky Bereswill would get a Skate America assignment, as she bombed at Skate America, and then finished 13th at Nationals. The best she can hope for is an International "B" assignment.

    As for Gerboldt, with all the young Russian up-and-comers eligible for assignments, she probably is in the same boat as Bereswill.
    I feel the same way, the US would be better off giving the assignment to Gao, Dobbs, or Zawadzki so they can have two events. As for Russia, most of the girls are so young that they will only be eligible for the JGP next year, but they would be better off giving the COR slot to Agafonova, Shelepen, or Ovcharova instead of Gerbolt.

  2. #77
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,067
    I think the best thing for Agnes is to do a year on the JGP. She can medal, likely make the JGPF, earn some $$$ and make a name for herself. She'd likely earn two spots based on SB and world standing. She'd go into the GP as a Junior World medalist this year, but still relatively obscure and with little experience. A year in the JGP couldn't hurt. Then, skate senior at nationals and if she makes the World team, then so be it.

  3. #78
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I think the best thing for Agnes is to do a year on the JGP. She can medal, likely make the JGPF, earn some $$$ and make a name for herself. She'd likely earn two spots based on SB and world standing. She'd go into the GP as a Junior World medalist this year, but still relatively obscure and with little experience. A year in the JGP couldn't hurt. Then, skate senior at nationals and if she makes the World team, then so be it.
    That actually does sound like a good idea, but ultimately whatever she choses to do hopefully she will do well. I just read in an article that Kanako said she isn't even sure if she wants to skate in the senior GP or junior GP next year, and she's already done two years on the JGP and won every competition she was in this year! Both Polinas and Anna might be better off doing JGP next year too, although with all the other young girls who will be eligible next year, they might get sent to seniors for space reasons. I keep forgetting Polina A and Anna are only turning 14 now, while most of the other girls are 15 and 16 already.

  4. #79
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,642
    I agree that Agnes should do the JGP next season. It's an easy way for her to get recognition and earn a few medals along the way. She'd likely make the JGPF and even medal there, setting herself up for guaranteed GP events in 2011-2012. She could then aim for a Worlds berth by medaling at US Nationals.

    If she went in the GP, USFS would have to "hold" an SA slot (TBD it) rather than name her to SA right off the bat, so as not to have her host pick counted as her "guaranteed assignment". And she'd likely get lowballed on PCS and finish midpack anyway because she is a total newbie. It could be hard to build up any momentum that way.

  5. #80
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,969
    What do people think the three Russian girls should do? They are still so young but because there are only 2 good Russian skaters above the age of 15 they probably could all do seniors if they wanted to. Staying on the JGP could be a good idea if they end up fighting puberty battles next year, rather then go to the SGP and get slammed with bad scores for URs and low PCS and then have to rebuild their reputations with the judges the next season (what happened to Mirai and likely why her scores were so low this season).

  6. #81
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Whatever happened to Kiri. She was like dynamite last season? I still think she is the wave of the future. Don't know Agnes. Was she really better than Kiri, if Kiri was at her best?

  7. #82
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Whatever happened to Kiri. She was like dynamite last season? I still think she is the wave of the future. Don't know Agnes. Was she really better than Kiri, if Kiri was at her best?
    Agnes is a better jumper where Kiri is more of a mini-Sasha, she is a great spinner, very flexible, and a very emotional performer, but technically she does not have the most difficult programs and struggles with consistency. She had two very rough performances (scores in the 70s and 3 falls) in the LP at the GPF and at nationals, so it was nice to see her rebound and do well in the LP here. Agnes has huge jumps and is a good all-round skater, but isn't as graceful and artistic IMO.

  8. #83
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aptGHXzTCk

    Here's a video of Kanako's LP. Although Kanako is called "mini-Mao" in Japan, I have noticed she is quite different from Mao as a skater. Kanako isn't as light as Mao at 15 but she seems more powerful on ice. Maybe because Kanako is not as waiflike as Mao was at that age. She does seem more mature and elegant for a 15 year old. Also she does have better spins than Mao at that age.

  9. #84
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Whatever happened to Kiri. She was like dynamite last season? I still think she is the wave of the future. Don't know Agnes. Was she really better than Kiri, if Kiri was at her best?
    Kiri doesn't even have all the jumps yet, and so I didn't think she'd be a factor. I don't think Kira even has a triple lutz, and can barely do a triple flip. So unless she really improves jumpwise, I don't see her being a big factor.

    As for Agnes, I like Agnes a lot from the clips I've seen. She has huge jumps, the best Jumper of all the US girls. The best jumper in terms of BIG JUMPS to come from a US girl in a long time. The US hasn't had a girl with a lutz like her's since Kerrigan. Even though she doesn't do 3/3s yet.. With this girl, a JUMP is a Jump. She also has good spins not Nagasu level but she can spin etc. Now she's not a pretty pretty ballerina, but I think she has nice presentation too. She performs to the audience etc. Pays attention to the music. Not everyone is going to be "pretty pretty". It would be boring if they were.

    The USFSA knew darn well that Agnes was their up coming skater with the most potential. And if it wasn't a fluke at sectionals, she'd have won Junior Nationals a year ago. But they still stupidly didn't give the girl a JGP assignment so she could get some international experience. Frankly I like Agnes a lot better than Flatt and Wagner.
    Last edited by bekalc; 03-13-2010 at 10:34 PM.

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,969
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../1/Ic2HkdjiGVM
    Polina Agafonova FS. She was wonderful! Love the spins and she has a nice presence, even if puberty messes up her jumps, it shouldn't mess up her gorgeous spins and great presentation

    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../0/dG4-txBUiUc
    Anna Ovcharova FS. Not as bad as I thought it would be, she fought through it and good for her for landing those two sequences at the end after falling twice.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aptGHXzTCk

    Here's a video of Kanako's LP. Although Kanako is called "mini-Mao" in Japan, I have noticed she is quite different from Mao as a skater. Kanako isn't as light as Mao at 15 but she seems more powerful on ice. Maybe because Kanako is not as waiflike as Mao was at that age. She does seem more mature and elegant for a 15 year old. Also she does have better spins than Mao at that age.
    That was great! Kanako reminds me more of Yukari than Mao, Mao has those long legs and Kanako is shorter and skates with more speed and energy. She is lovely, hope to see her in seniors next year!

  12. #87
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../1/Ic2HkdjiGVM
    Polina Agafonova FS. She was wonderful! Love the spins and she has a nice presence, even if puberty messes up her jumps, it shouldn't mess up her gorgeous spins and great presentation

    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../0/dG4-txBUiUc
    Anna Ovcharova FS. Not as bad as I thought it would be, she fought through it and good for her for landing those two sequences at the end after falling twice.
    Polina is so adorable Her spins are fantastic. I hope she endures through puberty, because she is just great.

  13. #88
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,969
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Polina is so adorable Her spins are fantastic. I hope she endures through puberty, because she is just great.
    I know she really is something. I hope Anna can become more consistent too, I really like her skating as well and she has those long limbs that the judges love and an adorable infectious personality - it seemed a little bit lacking in that program but she must have either been really nervous or just having an off-night. I want to see Kiri's LP apparently she did really well and I love her skating too!

  14. #89
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23
    a very cute moment during the victory ceremony (both agnes and kanako!) when agnes was climbing onto the podium.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n69TALQ_RVs

  15. #90
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Polina is so adorable Her spins are fantastic. I hope she endures through puberty, because she is just great.
    Yeah, she is my favorite ))) So tiny and so cute! I like her very much and hope to see on the Senior Grand Prix next year, Russia has lots of talented girls who will go to the JGP next year, so I think Polina could go to Seniors.
    As for Gerboldt, she decided to try in pairs

    Polina's FS in better quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbvonvGBDMU
    Last edited by Lucky Star; 03-14-2010 at 05:02 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •