Ladies FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

wanda

Spectator
"Rachael says she plans to skate and go to school, but she is also attending a top-rated college (Stanford) and will major in the biological sciences, which means she will have heavy lab time."

Rachael has never said that she planned to attend Stanford, she has only mentioned that she got accepted to Stanford. I think that her ability to skate and go to college will depend on the college she attends, how close the rink is, and who the coach is. I agree that if she chooses Stanford, it will be very difficult due to the lack of top level coaches in the immediate area. If she gets in and chooses Harvard, it will be easier for her to continue skating, as the rink is close and SCOB has top coaches (although the academics might be daunting). If she goes to University of Denver, she'll probably be fine with skating and school.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason why I think Agnes should do a season in the JGP is that she will get lost in the shuffle in the GP. She has no resume and a low ISU Rank, so she'll probably be the first to skate the SP and will get low PCS scores. Judges tend to base PCS on reputation, and an unknown skater isn't going to be cut any breaks in that department. She's also young (turns 16 in July) and might tend to look juniorish compared to the more experienced skaters. She will most likely finish mid-pack in her GP events, which will mean her ISU rank won't get much of a boost. As an unknown younger skater, she won't be able to build any momentum.

If she does a year in the JGP, she can earn lots of ISU points while earning medals--probably even a JGPF medal---and will build herself a sterling reputation so that when she does debut in the GP, she will get recognition and higher placements.

Rachael Flatt's year in the JGP, where she won silver in the JGPF and gold at JW, really helped her the following season. She won a silver medal in her first year in the GP and went on to Worlds, where she placed 5th.

But it's up to Agnes and her coach to decide what she wants to do.

bekalc

Record Breaker
The reason why I think Agnes should do a season in the JGP is that she will get lost in the shuffle in the GP. She has no resume and a low ISU Rank, so she'll probably be the first to skate the SP and will get low PCS scores. Judges tend to base PCS on reputation, and an unknown skater isn't going to be cut any breaks in that department. She's also young (turns 16 in July) and might tend to look juniorish compared to the more experienced skaters. She will most likely finish mid-pack in her GP events, which will mean her ISU rank won't get much of a boost. As an unknown younger skater, she won't be able to build any momentum.

If she does a year in the JGP, she can earn lots of ISU points while earning medals--probably even a JGPF medal---and will build herself a sterling reputation so that when she does debut in the GP, she will get recognition and higher placements.

Rachael Flatt's year in the JGP, where she won silver in the JGPF and gold at JW, really helped her the following season. She won a silver medal in her first year in the GP and went on to Worlds, where she placed 5th.

But Rachael wasn't looking to make the world team that year and she didn't even have any international competitions. In Agnes's case, if she does some Senior Bs her ranking will actually improve, and she'll get a little more exposure with the international judges.

And I wouldnt' say she has "no resume" a Junior World Silver medal is not "no resume". And if Agnes doesn't make the world team, she'll get sent to Junior worlds next year (likely) where she could have a shot at medaling again and helping her ranking some more.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
Video links?

Thank you for the Japanese girl's link-wow is all I can say-and so cute at the medal ceremony-she genuinely seems like a super nice kid. Does anyone have the link for Agnes? I can't find any youtube for her!

oleada

Record Breaker
Looking towards next year, it should be interesting to see who rocks the JGP series. The jump out of steps will be the double or triple loop, and quite a few skaters from this year either don't have it or struggle with that jump. Doesn't mean they can't work on it over the summer, but right now:

From Junior Worlds, Polina Agafonova (RUS), Kate Charbonneau (CAN), Kiri Baga (USA) and Joshi Helgesson (SWE) have never done a triple loop in ISU competition. Christina Gao has only done a 3Lo at Junior Worlds and it wasn't clean.

The following skaters from the top 12 Junior Worlds all did or have done 3Lo and might be on the JGP next year: Agnes Zawadzki (USA), Polina Shelepen (RUS), Anna Ovcharova (RUS), Julia Pfrengle (GER) and Lena Marroco (FRA).

Skaters who will likely be on the JGP next year who weren't at Junior Worlds and have a 3Lo: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Adelina Sotnikova, Sofia Biryukova, Roza Sheveleva and Kristina Zaseeva (all RUS); Haruka Imai, Karen Kemanai, Yuki Nishino, and Yukiko Fujisawa (all JPN); Yretha Silete and Mae Berenice Meite (FRA).

McKinzie Daniels and Marissa Secundy were the only ones aside from Zawadzki to have have a ratified 3Lo at US Junior Nationals, but I don't think they'll get assignments, as they finished out of the top 5. From Senior Nationals none of Gao, Kawamura, Gong or Cesario did a 3Lo. I'm assuming Angela Maxwell, Kristine Musademba and Kanako Murakami will all be moving up.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Looking towards next year, it should be interesting to see who rocks the JGP series. The jump out of steps will be the double or triple loop, and quite a few skaters from this year either don't have it or struggle with that jump. Doesn't mean they can't work on it over the summer, but right now:

From Junior Worlds, Polina Agafonova (RUS), Kate Charbonneau (CAN), Kiri Baga (USA) and Joshi Helgesson (SWE) have never done a triple loop in ISU competition. Christina Gao has only done a 3Lo at Junior Worlds and it wasn't clean.

The following skaters from the top 12 Junior Worlds all did or have done 3Lo and might be on the JGP next year: Agnes Zawadzki (USA), Polina Shelepen (RUS), Anna Ovcharova (RUS), Julia Pfrengle (GER) and Lena Marroco (FRA).

Skaters who will likely be on the JGP next year who weren't at Junior Worlds and have a 3Lo: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Adelina Sotnikova, Sofia Biryukova, Roza Sheveleva and Kristina Zaseeva (all RUS); Haruka Imai, Karen Kemanai, Yuki Nishino, and Yukiko Fujisawa (all JPN); Yretha Silete and Mae Berenice Meite (FRA).

McKinzie Daniels and Marissa Secundy were the only ones aside from Zawadzki to have have a ratified 3Lo at US Junior Nationals, but I don't think they'll get assignments, as they finished out of the top 5. From Senior Nationals none of Gao, Kawamura, Gong or Cesario did a 3Lo. I'm assuming Angela Maxwell, Kristine Musademba and Kanako Murakami will all be moving up.

Joshi competed on the SGP this year, and I think Kate Charbonneau, Christina, Kanako will all compete on SGP next season. Angela probably will too, but where she didn't compete at nationals she might get put on the reserve team and then not get any international events, I don't exactly know how the system works. I don't think Christine Musademba competed at nationals this year either, she may have stopped completely, but if she continues she may be in the same boat as Angela. Angela is also injured so I don't know how that will work out.

As for Russia, there are so many good junior girls and only two good senior girls (Alena and Ksenia) so I don't know if Polina A, Polina S, or Anna will be on JGP next year as they may move to the SGP. I'm not sure if that is the best idea but the judges do seem to like them, especially Ovcharova and Agafonova so that is a good sign.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maxwell and Musademba dropped out of Nationals due to injury. I doubt very much that either would be submitted for GP invitations. The only way either could get a GP would be to get a Skate America slot (if one was left empty, which I doubt this coming season) or substitute for a US skater withdrawing from SA. If they are on the Reserve list, they could be assigned to "B" Internationals---that's about all they can hope for. And even then, they would have to perform well at summer events to show they'd recovered from their injuries and in shape to compete.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think it's unlikely Charbonneau will move up. I think she'll stay a junior.

I don't know, she's turning 17 in a few weeks and she's one of the strongest skaters in Canada right now. She's kinda in the same boat as the Russian girls, normally, you would just assume they would stay junior, but where so few senior skaters in their countries are better, it might just make more since to move up to seniors and get out there. Charbonneau is at a comparable level to Phanuef and Lacoste now, I mean, Min-Jung Kwak beat Phanuef in the FS at the Olympics.

oleada

Record Breaker
what can Charbonneau gain by going in the SGP? She'll go in with a low ranking, bad start order and hence low PCS. She'll likely only get 1 event. Her jumps are just not that consistent yet, and her artistry isn't great either. Better to get another year of seasoning in the JGP where she'll go in with some buzz, name and experience. She has the chance to earn ranking points that way and potentially qualify for the JGP.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
what can Charbonneau gain by going in the SGP? She'll go in with a low ranking, bad start order and hence low PCS. She'll likely only get 1 event. Her jumps are just not that consistent yet, and her artistry isn't great either. Better to get another year of seasoning in the JGP where she'll go in with some buzz, name and experience. She has the chance to earn ranking points that way and potentially qualify for the JGP.

Her goal for next year is probably to go to Worlds though, and in that case it's easier to have and train a senior program so that she doesn't have to compete at Worlds if she makes the team with a program she hasn't really practiced/performed all season. She could do some international B events first. If Joannie retires she's very likely to get a spot at Worlds, and even if Joannie is still around, she could beat Phanuef, Lacoste, and anyone else who might be in contention if she skates well.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Oh, that was just too cute!!

Kanako is adorable she really seems nice and that she genuinely likes all her competitors. She and Akiko shared an equally adorable moment at Japanese nationals after Akiko skated really well and beat Yukari, so she essentially knew she was going to the Olympics.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Charbonneau is promising, but her presentation is very juniorish, and she struggles with her jumps---her only truly reliable jumps are salchow and toe. That doesn't bode well for success in the GP.

Kate may want to make the World team next year, but there are only two spots available (if Canada can even keep those, with Rochette not competing at Worlds). Phaneuf, Lacoste, Samson and Szmiett had reasonable success in the GP last year, and they all beat her easily at Nationals this year: Phaneuf by 52 points, Samson by 21 points, Szmiett by 18 points and Lacoste by 17 points.

With four stronger competitors (five, if Rochette returns to competition), Kate's chances to make the World team aren't good, and she would have a hard time impressing the judges in Senior international competition. She would be much better off staying another year in the JGP while working on getting the harder jumps under control and improving her presentation.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Charbonneau is promising, but her presentation is very juniorish, and she struggles with her jumps---her only truly reliable jumps are salchow and toe. That doesn't bode well for success in the GP.

Kate may want to make the World team next year, but there are only two spots available (if Canada can even keep those, with Rochette not competing at Worlds). Phaneuf, Lacoste, Samson and Szmiett had reasonable success in the GP last year, and they all beat her easily at Nationals this year: Phaneuf by 52 points, Samson by 21 points, Szmiett by 18 points and Lacoste by 17 points.

With four stronger competitors (five, if Rochette returns to competition), Kate's chances to make the World team aren't good, and she would have a hard time impressing the judges in Senior international competition. She would be much better off staying another year in the JGP while working on getting the harder jumps under control and improving her presentation.

Kate bombed at nationals though, if she had been on, I think the scores would have all been comparable. Certainly she is better than Szmiett.

nadster

Final Flight
Phaneuf, Lacoste, Samson and Szmiett had reasonable success in the GP last year, and they all beat her easily at Nationals this year: Phaneuf by 52 points, Samson by 21 points, Szmiett by 18 points and Lacoste by 17 points.

Samson did not compete on the GP this year. She only did a senior B and 4CC's this year and will go to Worlds.

Kate bombed at nationals though, if she had been on, I think the scores would have all been comparable. Certainly she is better than Szmiett.

I agree here. Jumpwise Szmiett is more consistent at this point but she still does not have a loop, her flexibility weak and presentation blah.

A factor behind Kate's struggles at nationals is simply that she had to skate different programs at nationals. Until JW she was only doing the double flip out of steps, ( she landed at triple at JW). So at nationals she attempted triple sal and lutz in the SP. And of course there is that not so small matter of the extra half minute in the LP.

At this point Kate's best is better than Szmiett's best. I still think she is behind Lacoste and Samson overall though at this moment but only barely.

Kate should stay on the JGP though. She will get good ISU ranking points there and has the chance to improve her jumps.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Samson did not compete on the GP this year. She only did a senior B and 4CC's this year and will go to Worlds.

I agree here. Jumpwise Szmiett is more consistent at this point but she still does not have a loop, her flexibility weak and presentation blah.

A factor behind Kate's struggles at nationals is simply that she had to skate different programs at nationals. Until JW she was only doing the double flip out of steps, ( she landed at triple at JW). So at nationals she attempted triple sal and lutz in the SP. And of course there is that not so small matter of the extra half minute in the LP.

At this point Kate's best is better than Szmiett's best. I still think she is behind Lacoste and Samson overall though at this moment but only barely.

Kate should stay on the JGP though. She will get good ISU ranking points there and has the chance to improve her jumps.

I agree with this. I actually really like Lacoste though and am sometimes confused why she does not get better scores? She is a very good jumper and doesn't fall a lot and I think she has a pretty nice presence on the ice. Is it mostly PC that's holding her back?

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I think Kanako is really cute, too. But I worry that she is going to be like another Caroline Zhang. She may get really beaten at senior level because of her flutzing and also slightly mule-kick type of jumping techinique.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Kanako is really cute, too. But I worry that she is going to be like another Caroline Zhang. She may get really beaten at senior level because of her flutzing and also slightly mule-kick type of jumping techinique.

Her mule kick is nowhere near as bad as Zhang's and I think she's also almost done growing, and is smaller than Caroline, so it may never be as big of an issue for her. Plus she has a lot of speed going into her jumps so she can pull them off, Caroline's lack of speed hurts her almost as much as her bad technique because she can't get enough momentum to have flow out of her jumps.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I read an article in Russian saying that Anna Ovcharova is interested in doing pairs? If she and Agafonova both switch to pairs, who will keep the Russian ladies field strong?