Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 300

Thread: 2010 Grand Prix Assignments

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961

    2010 Grand Prix Assignments

    I am just wondering if people know the protocol for how many entries each country gets for spots on the Senior Grand Prix circuit coming up this fall?

    Where Agnes Zawadzki medaled at Jr. Worlds, she has earned at least one senior GP event for next season, but she hasn't competed on the JGP yet so could she compete in both?

    Will Christina Gao and Amanda Dobbs get senior GP assignments where they beat Liang, Gilles, Hughes, Czisny, and Zhang at nationals? Does it depend on if Alissa and Emily are skating next year, if Kimmie decides to compete again, etc. Also Angela Maxwell didn't compete at nationals but has already been on the JGP twice and made the final both times, will she get senior GP events next season if she is not still injured? I'm unaware of the protocol the USFSA uses to determine who gets to go because I know this season Bebe, Alexe, and Becky Bereswill all had events even though they didn't have particularly great results last season.

    Polina Agafonova also medaled at JW but where she is so young and didn't go to the JGPF this year I don't know if Russia will send her to the JGP or SGP next year. Polina Shelepen and Anna Ovcharova just missed medaling at JW but with so many younger girls finally eligible for JGP next year I wonder if they will compete on the SGP as they are both old enough. Polina S has all her JGP medals to back her up and Anna was 2nd at Junior nationals and the 3rd finisher at senior nationals that will be eligible for the SGP next year (she finished 5th, but the 3rd and 4th place finishers will go to JGP next year as they were too young for it this season and will be too young for SGP next season). Anyone know how many ladies Russia can send to the SGP next year, or does it depend on Worlds? I assume Alena and Ksenia will go, but after those two, these three girls seem to be the next in line to go.

    So yeah, essentially I am confused. If anyone knows more about GP assignments and such, please share your knowledge.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,055
    i think they go by isu world rankings in part , scores-and if the skaters polina and agnes kanako will want to skate in junior gp or senior and also depends on federation where they jput them in junior or senior gp events.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    i think they go by isu world rankings in part , scores-and if the skaters polina and agnes kanako will want to skate in junior gp or senior and also depends on federation where they jput them in junior or senior gp events.
    So basically the federations can do whatever they want? Or where Kanako, Agnes, Polina, Polina, and Anna are all age eligible to compete on either the SGP or JGP they and their countries can pretty much chose?

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,056
    It varies from year to year, but this is the gist of it.

    Skaters can be seeded or invited.

    Skaters 1-6 from the World championships are seeded. Skaters ranked 1-3 will not meet before the final; same for skaters ranked 4-6. They are gauranteed two events. If they withdraw from an event, they will not be given another one.

    Skaters who finished 7-12 at Worlds are given 2 assignments. If they withdraw, then the skaters who have a higher SB score, but finished below are considered. If they withdraw or can't make it, the next skaters are given priority in order of placement from Worlds.

    Skaters who are in the top 24 of SB scores and don't fit into any of the above categories and aren't ranked 1-24 in the ISU standings are guaranteed 1 assignment.

    Skaters who medal at JW or JGPF are given 1 assignment. If you medal at both, then you are still only assured of 1 spot.

    Skaters can't compete in the JGP AND GP at the same time, unless they are in pairs. All skaters must have turned 14 by the previous July 1st. A maximum of 3 skaters per country per event and host countries can select 3 entries per category.

    So national results have nothing to do with it, except for host country spots.

    If there are still extra spots, then skaters with a top 75 SB scores can get invited.
    Last edited by oleada; 03-13-2010 at 04:14 PM.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Where Agnes Zawadzki medaled at Jr. Worlds, she has earned at least one senior GP event for next season, but she hasn't competed on the JGP yet so could she compete in both?
    No. Skaters can't compete in the JGP and the SGP in the same year.

    Will Christina Gao and Amanda Dobbs get senior GP assignments where they beat Liang, Gilles, Hughes, Czisny, and Zhang at nationals? Does it depend on if Alissa and Emily are skating next year, if Kimmie decides to compete again, etc. Also Angela Maxwell didn't compete at nationals but has already been on the JGP twice and made the final both times, will she get senior GP events next season if she is not still injured?
    National results have nothing to do with GP spots unless it is with host spots. ISU ranking and SB scores are what matters. If Gao and Dobbs have scores in the top or ranking in the top 24, they can get an invitation immediately. Angela has a top 75 score, so she can get an invitation, but it's not guaranteed.

    I'm unaware of the protocol the USFSA uses to determine who gets to go because I know this season Bebe, Alexe, and Becky Bereswill all had events even though they didn't have particularly great results last season.
    Unsure about Bebe and Alexe, but they probably had top 75 scores. Alexe's second invite was a host slot. Becky was guaranteed one after winning the JGPF.

    Anyone know how many ladies Russia can send to the SGP next year, or does it depend on Worlds? I assume Alena and Ksenia will go, but after those two, these three girls seem to be the next in line to go.
    Depends if they have other ladies who fill the categories. At this point, Shelepen and Agafonova are guaranteed 1 assignment; Ovcharova, Gerboldt and Gozeva can be selected for 1.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    It varies from year to year, but this is the gist of it.

    Skaters can be seeded or invited.

    Skaters 1-6 from the World championships are seeded. Skaters ranked 1-3 will not meet before the final; same for skaters ranked 4-6. They are gauranteed two events. If they withdraw from an event, they will not be given another one.

    Skaters who finished 7-12 at Worlds are given 2 assignments. If they withdraw, then the skaters who have a higher SB score, but finished below are considered. If they withdraw or can't make it, the next skaters are given priority in order of placement from Worlds.

    Skaters who are in the top 24 of SB scores and don't fit into any of the above categories and aren't ranked 1-24 in the ISU standings are guaranteed 1 assignment.

    Skaters who medal at JW or JGPF are given 1 assignment. If you medal at both, then you are still only assured of 1 spot.

    Skaters can't compete in the JGP AND GP at the same time, unless they are in pairs. All skaters must have turned 14 by the previous July 1st. A maximum of 3 skaters per country per event and host countries can select 3 entries per category.

    So national results have nothing to do with it, except for host country spots.
    Thanks so much! So Agnes and Christina have earned 1 event on the SGP next season and will likely be given two because only two US ladies are going to worlds. Polina Shelepen and Polina Agafonova have also earned 1 event each on the SGP next season and will also likely be given two because only two Russian ladies are going to worlds. Kanako has also earned 1 event on the SGP but I don't know if she will get another where it looks like Mao, Miki, Akiko, and Fumie are all continuing. Angela, Kiri, Anna, and Amanda have not earned spots on the SGP through competitions but may get assignments on the SGP or JGP depending on what their countries decide.

    That right?

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Depends if they have other ladies who fill the categories. At this point, Shelepen and Agafonova are guaranteed 1 assignment; Ovcharova, Gerboldt and Gozeva can be selected for 1.
    Could Russia decide not to send Gerboldt or Gozeva at all or have Anna compete on the JGP again? Or I mean is there any way a skater can get two GP assignments without medaling at the JGPF, Jr. Worlds, or finishing between 1st and 12th at Worlds?

    Also, Mirai medaled at Jr Worlds in 2007 and then went on to compete on the JGP, but she did turn 14 before July 1st so shouldn't she have gotten a senior GP assignment?

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Thanks so much! So Agnes and Christina have earned 1 event on the SGP next season and will likely be given two because only two US ladies are going to worlds. Polina Shelepen and Polina Agafonova have also earned 1 event each on the SGP next season and will also likely be given two because only two Russian ladies are going to worlds. Kanako has also earned 1 event on the SGP but I don't know if she will get another where it looks like Mao, Miki, Akiko, and Fumie are all continuing. Angela, Kiri, Anna, and Amanda have not earned spots on the SGP through competitions but may get assignments on the SGP or JGP depending on what their countries decide.

    That right?
    At this point, though, Amanda Dobbs is guaranteed 1 assignment from having a top 24 best score.

    Angnes and Christina might be given two. The number of who goes to Worlds doesn't have anything to do with it, really. But there are other US ladies who are also eligible for spots off the bat: Ashley Wagner (I'm sure she'll get two), Caroline Zhang and Alissa Csizny. So it just depends, but they are only guaranteed one. You're right about Kiri, Angela, Amanda and Anna, though.

    I'd be shocked if Kanako doesn't get 2. Even with Miki, Akiko, Mao & Fumie, that's only 8 spots out of a maximum 12. With a world standing of 14 and a SB score ranked 13, it's unlikely she'll only get one. I can't think of a Junior ladies champion who's only gotten one.

    Some years all skaters who are guaranteed 1 are given 2, but that doesn't always happen.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Could Russia decide not to send Gerboldt or Gozeva at all or have Anna compete on the JGP again? Or I mean is there any way a skater can get two GP assignments without medaling at the JGPF, Jr. Worlds, or finishing between 1st and 12th at Worlds?

    Also, Mirai medaled at Jr Worlds in 2007 and then went on to compete on the JGP, but she did turn 14 before July 1st so shouldn't she have gotten a senior GP assignment?
    Yeah, I think federations can basically block a skater from getting selected. I think the Russian fed did that to Sokolova once. And definitely, you can get two spots without finishing top 12 or medaling at the JGPF or JW. Both Hecken and Helgesson got 2 JGP slots and they didn't even do as well as Anna did this season - so it's definitely possible and has happened before.

    Mirai chose to be on the JGP (which was a good move, in my opinion), but yes she would have been eligible for the SGP.

  10. #10
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,089
    I think in Agnes case she should go to Seniors since she's age eligible. But I'd suggest her doing some Senior Bs before the GP season starts.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Yeah, I think federations can basically block a skater from getting selected. I think the Russian fed did that to Sokolova once. And definitely, you can get two spots without finishing top 12 or medaling at the JGPF or JW. Both Hecken and Helgesson got 2 JGP slots and they didn't even do as well as Anna did this season - so it's definitely possible and has happened before.

    Mirai chose to be on the JGP (which was a good move, in my opinion), but yes she would have been eligible for the SGP.
    I just looked on the season's best scores list - as of right now Bereswill (81) and Gerboldt (84) do not have a season's best score in the top 75 so the only way they can get an assignment is if their country choses them to compete at their home country GP event, right? Liang (55), Kawamura (56), Gozeva (49), Maxwell (45), Ovcharova (35), Baga (38), Gilles (29) all have seasons best scores in the top 75 so they meet the criteria for being assigned to one or two GP events and those don't have to be in their home country, though none are guarunteed a GP assignment, right?
    Last edited by silverlake22; 03-13-2010 at 04:50 PM.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    At this point, though, Amanda Dobbs is guaranteed 1 assignment from having a top 24 best score.

    Angnes and Christina might be given two. The number of who goes to Worlds doesn't have anything to do with it, really. But there are other US ladies who are also eligible for spots off the bat: Ashley Wagner (I'm sure she'll get two), Caroline Zhang and Alissa Csizny. So it just depends, but they are only guaranteed one. You're right about Kiri, Angela, Amanda and Anna, though.

    I'd be shocked if Kanako doesn't get 2. Even with Miki, Akiko, Mao & Fumie, that's only 8 spots out of a maximum 12. With a world standing of 14 and a SB score ranked 13, it's unlikely she'll only get one. I can't think of a Junior ladies champion who's only gotten one.

    Some years all skaters who are guaranteed 1 are given 2, but that doesn't always happen.
    Does the US get to send a maximum of 12 as well or does it depend on worlds? If they can send 12, I tend to think Gao, Zawadzki, and Dobbs will all get two assignments, especially where Evan, Johnny, and Alissa are all likely retiring.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Yeah, I think federations can basically block a skater from getting selected. I think the Russian fed did that to Sokolova once.
    Federations first nominate the skaters they consider eligible for invitations to the GP. If a federation doesn't include the name of a skater in the list submitted to the ISU, then the skater can't get any GP invitations. That's what the RFSF did to Sokolova.


    Mirai chose to be on the JGP (which was a good move, in my opinion), but yes she would have been eligible for the SGP.
    Part of the reason for that was that Mirai's first and only international competition was 2007 Junior Worlds (where she won silver, just like Agnes). She would have been old enough (14) for the GP, but she wouldn't have been eligible for Worlds. She probably felt that going from one junior competition to the Senior GP was too big a step.

    Agnes is in a similar position. Although she is 15 and eligible for both GP and Worlds, JW 2010 was her first international competition. It's a big step from one junior competition to the GP. It's her decision to make.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Does the US get to send a maximum of 12 as well or does it depend on worlds? If they can send 12, I tend to think Gao, Zawadzki, and Dobbs will all get two assignments, especially where Evan, Johnny, and Alissa are all likely retiring.
    It depends on how many ladies earn assignments via the JGPF or JW, Worlds or the standings or season best scores.

    I'm not saying Japan will get the full 12 spots. I'm saying that having four skaters who will likely get 2 assignments doesn't mean Murakami is any less unlikely to get 2 as well.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,961
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    It depends on how many ladies earn assignments via the JGPF or JW, Worlds or the standings or season best scores.

    I'm not saying Japan will get the full 12 spots. I'm saying that having four skaters who will likely get 2 assignments doesn't mean Murakami is any less unlikely to get 2 as well.
    Well now that JW results are in and the US was one of the top scoring nations, doesn't that men we get 14 spots for the JGP? And so we have to wait until the senior worlds results are in to know about the SGP. Last year though the ladies didn't do so well at worlds but the USFSA still sent 6 ladies (Flatt, Nagasu, Zhang, Czisny, Wagner, Gilles) to two SGP events and 3 ladies (Bereswill, Liang, Hughes) to one SGP event. Are men's and ladie's results dealt with differently or is the number of spots we get dependent on the results of both genders at worlds combined?

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •