2010 Grand Prix Assignments | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2010 Grand Prix Assignments

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I agree. I don't think the TBA spot has anything to do with Sasha.

Honestly, it's a miracle she even showed up at Nationals last season. There have been zero signs of her training since Nationals... It's just been shows.

I was totally impressed at how in shape Sasha looked at Nationals. I mean she was lean, toned, fit, muscular. This girl had trained HARD!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I was totally impressed at how in shape Sasha looked at Nationals. I mean she was lean, toned, fit, muscular. This girl had trained HARD!!

She did look amazng and the SP showed what could have been. People around her (Scott Hamilton?) mentioned she was training again days after Nationals, even knowing she was in line after Ashey as a replacement for Vancouver. I think she will try and end her skating career on a higher note.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am not going to comment at all on the GP assignments. I suspect that in about two months after all the withdrawals and replacements, the assignments will be totally different!! They I will comment.

But I will say this, there are an awful lot of people assigned to GP's that have officially said they were retiring or taking the year off. What's up with that?

silverlake22

Record Breaker

She looked emaciated to me. On tv they showed Sasha give Mirai a hug and Mirai looked like Serena Williams in comparison to Sasha.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I agree-Sasha looked unhealthy at Nationals, but a couple months later, looked SO much healthier. She will always be thin and lean looking, never curvy or bulked up with muscle, it's just her body type. But she was scarily thin at Nationals, much like she was in 2006. I'm sure stress and overtraining play a huge part, as well as wanting very little weight to get back to elite shape as quick as possible.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But I will say this, there are an awful lot of people assigned to GP's that have officially said they were retiring or taking the year off. What's up with that?

Good question...

Not to mention the tons of TBAs on the board. Maybe the ISU should have waited a couple more months.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Sasha looked seriously unprepared at Nationals. She may have been thin and fit looking, but in the practices it was clear that she was having trouble with jumps, particularly the 3F and her combo. Her SP was OK, but it lacked her usual energy and spark. She simply didn't have the stamina to get through the FS and it was obvious that she wasn't going to be top three, let alone make the Olympic team.

Sasha couldn't train properly last season because of the nagging injury she'd had since the 2008-2009 SOI tour. Given that she hadn't been trying the harder jumps since Worlds 2006, it would have taken a major miracle for her to regain her jumps and train them sufficiently in the small interval of time she reserved for her pre-Olympic training. She tried to do too much, too late, and it was no surprise that she couldn't pull it off.

Sasha won't return to competitive skating. She likes to win, and she won't risk trying and failing again.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I would think a lot of these would change...and I am just gutted that Ryan Bradley appears to have really retired :cry:
Bradley hasn't officially retired. He's recovering from his foot surgery last month and hasn't made any decisions about the upcoming season yet. He tweeted on June 12: "I am still semi crippled, so I am not positive about next season."

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I know it's been discussed a lot in this thread, but i'd just like to gush a little bit about how grat Canadian ice dance is right now.:biggrin: I don't think Skate Canada could have made better choices with the GP assignments, and I'm convinced that this is the best group of dancers our country has ever had. Virtue and Moir are Olympic champs (I still love writing that:)), and they could potentially dominate, or at least have a hell of a rivalry with Davis and White, from now untill Sochi. I can't wait to see what they come up with this season. They're scrapping the goose, and they have said in numerous interviews that they want to try and push the envelope now, so whatever they come up with should be interesting at the very least.

As for Crone & Poirier and Weaver & Poje, they are both phenominal IMO. Sure, they still have some improvements to make, but they're definately clombing the ranks. Personally, I've always had a soft spot for W/P, but choosing between those two for the Olympic spot lasy year was torture. Thankfully three sports to worlds means that won't happen this year. Given how both teams improved last season, I'll be shocked if they don't win at least one GP medal apiece. That being said, I think they still need some fine tuning before they reach the top level at worlds. I know is seems as if W/P are nowhere near that level based on their 07 and 08 results, but they have improved majorly since then, and I wouldn't be surprised if they crack the top 10 at the 2011 worlds. I just wish they would get more confidence. I really think that their technique wavers sometimes because they just aren't sure of themselves. I think nerves cost them the Olympic spot, and I'd hate to see that happen again. C/P, on the other hand, have no problem with confidence, but could benefit from some additional flow and refinement.

As for the lower ranked teams, I'm thrilled that Ralph & Hill have finally moved up. They've been on the junior circuit for a while now, and I really think that they've fallen under the radar. both nationally and internationally. Its' a shame, because they're rediculously talented and really young to boot. They got hammered at 4CC in the OD last season, so I'm really hoping that some senior experience will help them out and make them more well known to the judges and the audience.

I was shocked to see Paul & Islam move up so soon. Junior champs almost never get senior assignments the next year, and if they do its usually only after they've been assessed at a summer competition. Even then, junior champs getting two assignemnets is unheard of. That being said, I think SC is making a really great move by allowing them to get some senior experience. First of all, they're close to the age cut-off for juniors, if they havn't passed it alreadly, so it makes sense for them to take the next step. While they don't have a lot of junior experience together, they do have a WJ silver medal, and we can't forget that Islam competed on the JGP circuit and at the JW championships back when he was with Joanna Lenko, and Paul had a few JGP assignments with Jason Cheperdak as well, so they've done their fair share of competing as juniors, even though it wasn't together. All that asside, these two are absolutely incredible, and I think they'll hold their own just fine amongst the worlds' seniors. If i didn't know it for sure, I would never have believed that they were a new team last year based on how they skated. If they're progressing that quickly, theres no reason for them to stick around in juniors. I honestly believe that these two are going to be something really phenominal someday soon.

Ok, my gushing is over now.:biggrin:

Gumdrops

Rinkside
I wonder what the lists are gonna look like closer to the start of the season. We're gonna see a lot of withdrawals.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I wonder what the lists are gonna look like closer to the start of the season. We're gonna see a lot of withdrawals.

RIDDLES WITH NO ANSWER

1) Why do we drive down a parkway, but park in a driveway?
2) If a tree falls in a forest with nobody around to hear it, does it make a noise?
3) What is the sound of one hand clapping?
4) If I save time, when do I get it back?
5) If Sasha gets no Grand Prix assignments, can she still withdraw? :laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Why didn't Armin Mahbanoozadeh get any spots? :disapp:

I guess we'll see him on the JGP circuit.

Well if they change the age rules then he'll be too old for JGP this season (he turns 19 in August), but AFAIK, he graduated from high school last year and deferred admission to Dartmouth, so I assume he will be headed there in the fall and will not be skating competitively this season, or at least not internationally.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Last I heard, Armin Mahbanoozadeh is not going to Dartmouth but he does plan to compete this season (he's registered to compete at Liberty next month). His Season Best score was ranked #42 on the ISU SB scores list and there were 2 U.S. men ranked just ahead of him who did not receive any GP assignments either :( (Grant Hochstein #38 and Richard Dornbush #39). Armin could be considered for a Senior B event by USFS. It's not yet known if the ISU's new age limit proposals will pass at the Congress this week and if 18 year olds (Mahbanoozadeh, Dornbush, Keegan Messing, etc.) will be able to compete on the JGP/at Jr. Worlds in the upcoming season. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
Today 01:18 PM #91 fairly4
View Profile View Forum Posts
Custom Title

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts:517i don't know if this has been stated earlier, but the tba for skate american can't be sasha because she is on this season DWTS list. if i am not mistaken the 6 weeks goes during the gp events.
which tell me outsiide of tours, and shows , i think (i don't know for a fact) but it seems sasha might be given up the competitive side of skating.
anyways i wish her luck on her endeavor and DWTS ,
not personally i won't vote for any figure skater , i didn't vote for krist, evan and no her, because I feel that have an
inherent advantage of timing and musicality with the music and skaters, group numbers provide the pairs bits.
my personally opinion. i know most of you disagree, but just stating.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
i don't know if this has been stated earlier, but the tba for skate american can't be sasha because she is on this season DWTS list. if i am not mistaken the 6 weeks goes during the gp events.
FYI, that Dancing With the Stars "list" is assumed to be FAKE.

ETA:
the age rule, AFAIK, would not apply to this season.
Reports from the ISU Congress in Barcelona today are that the proposed ISU Senior and Junior age limit rules did NOT pass.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker

Indeed. and we saw "a lot of withdrawals" last year, the year before, in 2007, 2006, etc.

For example, Kim is on the roster but I doubt whether she will actually show up or not...

R.D.

Record Breaker
i don't know if this has been stated earlier, but the tba for skate american can't be sasha because she is on this season DWTS list.

?? Where did you find this out? I wasn't aware the DWTS cast was announced so far ahead of time. I don't watch the show but usually you hear about it in the press and I haven't heard a thing.