2010 Grand Prix Assignments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2010 Grand Prix Assignments

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the ISU ends guarantees for Junior skaters, some of them (Murakami, Shelepen and Zawadzki) would still qualify for a GP guarantee on the basis that they are in the top 24 on the ISU Seasons Best list. Ovcharova and Agafonova could still be CoR host picks if they didn't get any invitations.

Of course, the ISU could also change the GP age rules to a minimum 15 by July 1st, 2010. In that case, only Zawadzki could get GP assignments.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Of course, the ISU could also change the GP age rules to a minimum 15 by July 1st, 2010. In that case, only Zawadzki could get GP assignments.

And Murakami. She turned 15 in November.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If the ISU ends guarantees for Junior skaters, some of them (Murakami, Shelepen and Zawadzki) would still qualify for a GP guarantee on the basis that they are in the top 24 on the ISU Seasons Best list. Ovcharova and Agafonova could still be CoR host picks if they didn't get any invitations.

I thought you only had to have a season's best score in the top 75 to be invited to GP events. Agafonova and Ovcharova both have season's best scores in the top 75, so potentially couldn't they be invited to COR and another GP event where Leonova and Makarova are the only two senior ladies who for sure will get 2 SGP events?

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I thought you only had to have a season's best score in the top 75 to be invited to GP events. Agafonova and Ovcharova both have season's best scores in the top 75, so potentially couldn't they be invited to COR and another GP event where Leonova and Makarova are the only two senior ladies who for sure will get 2 SGP events?

A too 75 score only makes you eligible to be invited to the GP. You need a top 24 score to be guaranteed a GP.

oleada

Record Breaker
Ohh. And whether or not you get invited depends on how many other people from your country are garuanteed a GP/2 GPs?

No. It depends on how many people are invited, period. Usually, I think if there is an opening, federations tend to pick by ranking or score.

The country thing only comes into play when there is a possibility of using the maximum slots.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
No. It depends on how many people are invited, period. Usually, I think if there is an opening, federations tend to pick by ranking or score.

The country thing only comes into play when there is a possibility of using the maximum slots.

This whole process is beyondd confusing lol. I guess we'll figure out who is doing what when the assignments come out in May.

The system is confusing, and remember that the ISU and its 6 Top Feds have the power to change the messy set up by decision. I doubt there is a rule. There are secret drawings and speculation has it that there are deals and arrangements made quietly during the process.

1. By DRAWING: What Fed will start off the Events first? followed by what Feds want.

2. By DRAWING: Feds of top 6 finishers at Worlds will fill up their home event by selecting two each from the Worlds six ensuring that a top 3 finisher will be present in each of the events, plus one skater from the next World's placements.

3. Selections from Home events may choose 3 of their own as part of the process.

4. In order of the draw, the hosts then select the remainder of the eligible skaters to their event.

Notes: The ISU has a list of eligibles who are permitted to skate in the GPs, plus a list of replacements if there are unfilled slots. (I'm not sure of this.

The drawings of the Host events are done in secret but results will emerge eventually.

I'm not sure if it is a Rule or a Procedure which exists to fill any gaps in the matrix of an event.

The Point System prevails to be eligibled to make the Finals.

NB: All of the above is subject to change by the time the GPs are being considered.

(Please correct, add, delete, revise, anything I wrote.)

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
It depends on how many ladies earn assignments via the JGPF or JW, Worlds or the standings or season best scores.

I'm not saying Japan will get the full 12 spots. I'm saying that having four skaters who will likely get 2 assignments doesn't mean Murakami is any less unlikely to get 2 as well.

I don't think apart from the Mao, Miki, Akiko and Fumie, there isn't any other top tier skaters from Japan so far yet. The first three are pretty much a shooin for GP medals, and Kanako right now have more chances of getting a SGP medal than say Fumie.
Can a skater compete in both Junior and Senior grand prix at the same time??? JGP started at least 3 weeks earlier so Kanako can definitely enter at least one junior event as a warm up. But I'm sure Japan will definitely keep Mao (current Olympics silver medalist) and Kanako (current W junior champ) + one other Miki or Akiko, who ever finish in the 4-10th spot for NHK event.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Of course that's depend on who will get the bronze as Kim and Asada are pretty much a lock for Gold and silver. It will be a 5 way battle between Marai, Miki, Rachael, Akiko and maybe Lepisto for the third spot.

Looks like the battle for bronze is going to be more exciting than for gold or silver. =)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Of course that's depend on who will get the bronze as Kim and Asada are pretty much a lock for Gold and silver. It will be a 5 way battle between Marai, Miki, Rachael, Akiko and maybe Lepisto for the third spot.

Looks like the battle for bronze is going to be more exciting than for gold or silver. =)

Don't forget Carolina! You never know what she'll do and if she delivers she could win that bronze too, and I'd also throw Leonova in there just based on how she did this season, though she probably won't get the PCS to be up that high.

SUN

Spectator
The system is confusing, and remember that the ISU and its 6 Top Feds have the power to change the messy set up by decision. I doubt there is a rule. There are secret drawings and speculation has it that there are deals and arrangements made quietly during the process.

1. By DRAWING: What Fed will start off the Events first? followed by what Feds want.

2. By DRAWING: Feds of top 6 finishers at Worlds will fill up their home event by selecting two each from the Worlds six ensuring that a top 3 finisher will be present in each of the events, plus one skater from the next World's placements.

3. The 6 GP Federations announce to the ISU (10 days before the meeting) who of their own skaters (max.3 per discipline) will be assigned to home events4. In order of the draw, the hosts then select the remainder of the eligible skaters to their event.[/B]Notes: The ISU has a list of eligibles who are permitted to skate in the GPs, plus a list of replacements if there are unfilled slots. (I'm not sure of this.

The drawings of the Host events are done in secret but results will emerge eventually.

I'm not sure if it is a Rule or a Procedure which exists to fill any gaps in the matrix of an event.

The Point System prevails to be eligibled to make the Finals.

NB: All of the above is subject to change by the time the GPs are being considered.

(Please correct, add, delete, revise, anything I wrote.)
iii

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I hope Carolina lives up to her potential, and won another world medal and retire on a high note. But I am not going to bet my money on her.
Leonova, is very sloppy with her skating and even 100% worse than Slutskaya. Her FS score of 110+ wouldn't going to crack the top 6, as Marai, Akiko, Miki, Laura and Rachael all cracked the 120+ mark already or close to it.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I've heard that the ISU Grand Prix Commission's selection meeting is scheduled to take place June 11-12, 2010 (before the ISU Congress).

It will be interesting to see if there will be any notable changes published in the ISU Grand Prix Announcement for 2010-11. It is up to the the ISU Junior age-eligible U.S. skaters to let USFS know beforehand if they prefer to skate junior (JGP) or senior (GP/Sr B) in the coming season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Look at it this way:

If Zawadzki went to the GP and finished 5th and 6th, she'd have 498 ISU ranking points added to her 644 points from JW = 1142.
If she went to the JGP and won 2 silver medals and a 2nd at the JGPF, she'd have 644 + 225 + 540 = 1405 points. Those additional points might make the difference between skating in the first group or the later group at Worlds 2011.

I've also heard a rumor that the ISU won't be giving guaranteed GP spots to all JW/JGPF medalists, only to the winners of those events. So Zawadzki might not have the GP option after all.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Look at it this way:

If Zawadzki went to the GP and finished 5th and 6th, she'd have 498 ISU ranking points added to her 644 points from JW = 1142.
If she went to the JGP and won 2 silver medals and a 2nd at the JGPF, she'd have 644 + 225 + 540 = 1405 points. Those additional points might make the difference between skating in the first group or the later group at Worlds 2011.

I've also heard a rumor that the ISU won't be giving guaranteed GP spots to all JW/JGPF medalists, only to the winners of those events. So Zawadzki might not have the GP option after all.

My guess is that the USFSA will probably leave it up to her to decide. With her junior title and 2nd place at JW, she will likely be on the Team USA "B" envelope and usually those skaters get 2 GP events. I'm sure Tom knows about how she can get more points by staying on the JGP (Kanako is ranked on the top 20 female skaters list and has never skated at a senior international competition), and my guess is he will instruct her to pick the JGP.