2010 Grand Prix Assignments | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2010 Grand Prix Assignments

Don't forget Carolina! You never know what she'll do and if she delivers she could win that bronze too, and I'd also throw Leonova in there just based on how she did this season, though she probably won't get the PCS to be up that high.
johnny Weir would choose MAKAROVA, and Russia is a prime host.

When will Grand Prix Assignments be anounced?
From what I read on the Forum and for no definitive news, I would say check out post 34. Probably late June giving them time to dicker.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
johnny Weir would choose MAKAROVA, and Russia is a prime host.

Well, Johnny loves Ksenia, what else is new? He keeps hyping her to be world medalist material (right now) though and it seems a bit premature, she competed on the JGP this season and was beaten by Christina Gao and Polina Shelepen, who both have a lot of maturing to do, at the JGPF. Ksenia is a great skater with a bright future but she isn't quite the soup yet. I kept hearing the same hype about Alena Leonova this season, how she had a good shot at medaling at the Olympics, I knew that barring meltdowns from the favorites that wasn't going to happen. She is a good skater too, but not Olympic/World medalist material yet.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
My guess is that the USFSA will probably leave it up to her [Zawadzki] to decide.
Yes, the decision of whether to compete on the GP or JGP is left up to the U.S. skaters and coaches.

With her junior title and 2nd place at JW, she will likely be on the Team USA "B" envelope and usually those skaters get 2 GP events.
U.S. team envelope funding levels are not related to the number or type of international assignments a skater or team will receive. For example, Becky Bereswill was in the Team B envelope this past season and was invited to one Grand Prix event, while last year's U.S. junior champs in the B envelope all competed on the JGP (except the pairs team that was age-ineligible).

I'm sure Tom knows about how she can get more points by staying on the JGP (Kanako is ranked on the top 20 female skaters list and has never skated at a senior international competition), and my guess is he will instruct her to pick the JGP.
Actually, Kanako Murakami won a Senior B international this season (Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria, which gave her 250 ISU ranking points, the same amount as winning a JGP event). My personal guess is that Zawadzki most likely will skate on the JGP this season, but we'll just have to wait and see!

When will Grand Prix Assignments be anounced?
As I posted earlier, I've heard that the ISU Grand Prix Commission's selection meeting is scheduled to take place June 11-12, 2010 (before the ISU Congress), and so they could be announced as early as June 12 or 13.

Last edited:

volk

Final Flight
How many spots for Russian ladies? From what I understand it's 2 for Makarova, 1 for Shepelen, Leonova and Agafonova. Am I correct?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
How many spots for Russian ladies? From what I understand it's 2 for Makarova, 1 for Shepelen, Leonova and Agafonova. Am I correct?

Yeah, that's all each skater is garunteed, but I think Agafonova will likely skate on the JGP circuit this season considering her age, maturity, and that she didn't go to the final this year. Leonova I'm sure will get 2 spots again, and we might see Ovcharova or Gozeva on the SGP this season too as they both have SB scores in the top 75 so that's all they need to get assigned a spot, and depending on how the numbers work out, Shelepen could get 2 assignments and maybe Ovcharova too where she did so well at nationals and in the SP at junior worlds.

volk

Final Flight
Yeah, that's all each skater is garunteed, but I think Agafonova will likely skate on the JGP circuit this season considering her age, maturity, and that she didn't go to the final this year. Leonova I'm sure will get 2 spots again, and we might see Ovcharova or Gozeva on the SGP this season too as they both have SB scores in the top 75 so that's all they need to get assigned a spot, and depending on how the numbers work out, Shelepen could get 2 assignments and maybe Ovcharova too where she did so well at nationals and in the SP at junior worlds.

So what is the maximum number of Russian ladies that could get 2 spots?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
So what is the maximum number of Russian ladies that could get 2 spots?

There's no maximum number. The Grand Prix events are filled up with all the guaranteed spots and host picks first and then the remaining spots are invitational taken from the Top 75 Season Best list. Usually everyone who has at least 1 guaranteed event gets a second one. Leonova would undoubtedly get a 2nd event and if Shelepen moves up to Seniors she'll more than likely get 2 aswell, same for Agafonova. It's much riskier for Ovcharova who has no guarantee but she could get host-picked for Cup of Russia and then get invited for another event thanks to her good scores and results.

So basically it's all speculation right now and it depends on how many Russian Junior Girls will take the decision to go senior.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
There's no maximum number. The Grand Prix events are filled up with all the guaranteed spots and host picks first and then the remaining spots are invitational taken from the Top 75 Season Best list. Usually everyone who has at least 1 guaranteed event gets a second one. Leonova would undoubtedly get a 2nd event and if Shelepen moves up to Seniors she'll more than likely get 2 aswell, same for Agafonova. It's much riskier for Ovcharova who has no guarantee but she could get host-picked for Cup of Russia and then get invited for another event thanks to her good scores and results.

So basically it's all speculation right now and it depends on how many Russian Junior Girls will take the decision to go senior.

Yes, exactly. I hope a couple of them do decide to skate seniors though because I prefer all of their skating to Gozeva and Gerboldt. Last year Gozeva got 2 assignments and all three of those junior girls have gotten much higher scores internationally at junior events than she has gotten at senior events. I think Shelepen will definitely move up to senior, and as for the other two I don't know, but if Agafonova decides to stay junior than Ovcharova might want to move to seniors as then she can probably get 2 assignments.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes, there is. The number is 9. The number of entries from one nation cannot exceed 3 per event. So 3 entries times 6 events= 18 entries.

Well, there's no way Russia will be sending 9 girls on the SGP this season, most likely it will be 4, maybe 5, 6 max (if Makarova, Leonova, Shelepen, Agafonova, Ovcharova, and Gozeva all get 2 assignments - which I kind of doubt).

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Yes, there is. The number is 9. The number of entries from one nation cannot exceed 3 per event. So 3 entries times 6 events= 18 entries.

Volk was asking about russian girls this season, so 9 russian girls competing at GP this year is totally out of the question, like Silverlake said, the maximun they could hope is 5-6, but we don't know for sure yet until we know who's staying junior. And while in theory is possible for a nation to have 9 skaters with 2 spots, it has never happened and I doubt it will. USA has got all 18 entries in previous years but there's always 1 or 2 skater with only one event.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Volk was asking about russian girls this season, so 9 russian girls competing at GP this year is totally out of the question, like Silverlake said, the maximun they could hope is 5-6, but we don't know for sure yet until we know who's staying junior. And while in theory is possible for a nation to have 9 skaters with 2 spots, it has never happened and I doubt it will. USA has got all 18 entries in previous years but there's always 1 or 2 skater with only one event.

I agree, if I had to guess I think the Russian ladies assignments will look something like this:

Makarova - 2 events
Leonova - 2 events
Shelepen - 2 events
Agafonova OR Ovcharova - 2 events (if I had to guess one of these girls will likely do another season on the JGP, though I don't know which girl that will be)
Gozeva - 1 event

If Agafonova and Ovcharova both move up, possibilities include:
- Agafonova - 1 event, Ovcharova - 1 event, Gozeva - 1 event
- Agafonova - 2 events, Ovcharova - 1 event, Gozeva - 1 event
- Agafonova - 2 events, Ovcharova - 2 events, Gozeva - no events/1 event

If Agafonova and Ovcharova both stay junior, then we'll likely see:
- Gozeva - 2 events

Gerboldt has switched to pairs so she won't be getting an event in the ladies competition.

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice
This isn't directly Yuna related news, but has anyone heard of the rumor that French skating feds will discontinue its GP leg (TEB) after next season and possibly the Korean federation will pick it up?

I didn't know where to post this... I will remove it if told.

Ren

On the Ice
This isn't directly Yuna related news, but has anyone heard of the rumor that French skating feds will discontinue its GP leg (TEB) after next season and possibly the Korean federation will pick it up?

I didn't know where to post this... I will remove it if told.

This is the first I've read of it. Where did you hear this rumor? This is certainly interesting, but it would mean 1 less GP event in Europe...

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Yes, 18 entries from one nation is the maximum allowed but it can be more than 9 skaters. TEN different U.S. ladies were assigned initially in 18 GP slots when the original charts were published this past season.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hey so idk how JGP assignments work and all but how many spots does Russia have for ladies on the JGP next season? I was just thinking about how there are SO many talented young girls there right now, and at this point we don't know if Shelepen, Agafonova, Ovcharova, or Birukova will move up to the SGP in the coming season (they can age wise but there is a possibility all could choose to stay on the JGP another season), and Liza and Adelina will be age eligible for JGP in the coming season along with a few other promising girls so yeah....just seems like it could potentially become a little crowded. Anyone know how the system works?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Makarova and Leonova are each guaranteed two GP assignments because they both finished top 12 at Worlds. Shelepen is guaranteed one GP event because she is top 24 on the Seasons Best list; she also won silver at the JGPF, but it is unclear whether all JGPF medalists will get GP guarantees, or just the gold medalist. Agafonova might be guaranteed one GP assignment for her 3rd place at JW (if that rule, like the JGPF medalist rule, is retained). Ovcharova has no guarantees. Gozeva is #50 on the SB list and 50th on the ISU Ranking list, so she is guaranteed no GP assignments. She was 9th in her two GP events, 13 at Euros---way behind Makarova and Leonova, and 11th at Nationals. IMO, she'd be very lucky to get a host assignment at CoR. If the Russian federation wants to send Agafonova and/or Ovcharova to CoR, Gozeva is probably toast.

As for the JGP, the countries who get two ladies in all 7 events are JPN, USA and RUS.

Last edited: