2010 Grand Prix Assignments | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2010 Grand Prix Assignments

fairly4

Medalist
i guess my is this
russian women--two- ksenia makarova, alena ;;;might get two polina shelepen, polina agafonova, might get one anna ovarchova
japan women- two-miki, mao; akiko--might get two haruka, and possible 1 fumie
us women--two-rachel and mirai--possible two--carolina, ashley, alissa, agnes, christina gao-definely one amanda dobbs; possible 1 alexei gilles--outside shot kristine musambema, and the rest
canadian women--two cynthia and joannie-might get one amelie lacoste, diane szmiett, and myrianne samson- outside shot kate
but i did top 24 from worlds (excluded antasia) top 30 high scores with 35 closely followed and top 24 world ranks
that included the 3 for each country-like france and china--whether they use their alloted 3 --who knows
i also did one that excluded a couple of older skaters like julie sebeysten and sarah meir---no i don't know if they are retiring-i just did a few with the older skaters in and a few without.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If they vote to change the age requirements, might it mean that the Polinas and Anna won't even be age eligible for the SGP? I tend to think Agafonova will stay junior anyway and maybe Anna too.

Also I expect Min-Jung Kwak will get 2 events because Na-Young Kim has gotten 2 events in the past.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just for fun here are my GP picks based on current rules

Top 12 Worlds gets two events automatically:
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Laura Lepisto
Miki Ando
Cynthia Phaneuf
Carolina Kostner
Mirai Nagasu
Ksenia Makarova
Rachael Flatt
Viktoria Helgesson
Akiko Suzuki
Sarah Hecken
24 spots=12 skaters

24/72 taken

2 events likely:
Alena Leonova
Kankano Murakami
Julia Sebestyen
Kiira Korpi
Elene Gedevanishvili
Ashley Wagner
Caroline Zhang
Alissa Czisny
Amanda Dobbs
Joshi Helgesson
Polina Sheelpen
Sarah Meier
Agnes Zawadzki
Haruka Imai
Jenna McCorkrell
Joannie Rochette
Christina Gao
Min-Jung Kwak
Yan Liu

38 spots =19 skaters

62/72 spots taken (31 skaters)

1 event (my guess, but think they can certainly get 2)
Amelie Lacoste
Elena Glebova
Fumie Suguri
3 spots
65/72 spots (34 skaters)

1 event for sure
Cheltzie Lee
Alexe Gilles
Angela Maxwell
Tugba Karademir
Yuki Nishino
Myriane Samson
Anna Ovcharova
7 spots
72/72 spots (41 skaters)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Top 12 Worlds gets two events automatically:
Mao Asada
Yu-Na Kim
Laura Lepisto
Miki Ando
Cynthia Phaneuf
Carolina Kostner
Mirai Nagasu
Ksenia Makarova
Rachael Flatt
Viktoria Helgesson
Akiko Suzuki
Sarah Hecken

12 skaters = 24 spots

24/72 taken

Probably 2 events:
Alena Leonova
Kankano Murakami
Kiira Korpi
Elene Gedevanishvili
Ashley Wagner
Caroline Zhang
Amanda Dobbs
Joshi Helgesson
Polina Shelpen
Haruka Imai
Jenna McCorkell
Joannie Rochette
Christina Gao
Min-Jung Kwak
Yan Liu

15 skaters = 30 spots
Sebestyen is retiring, Meier I assume will retire, Zawadzki I assume will do JGP

54/72 spots taken

Host country skaters likely to get 2 events (1 host spot + 1 other invite):
Amelie Lacoste
Myriane Samson
Fumie Suguri
Yukiko Fujisawa
Anna Ovcharova
Alissa Czisny
Alexe Gilles

7 skaters = 14 spots
68/72 spots taken

1 event for sure:
Cheltzie Lee
Angela Maxwell
Tugba Karademir
Diane Szmiett

4 skaters = 4 spots
72/72 spots taken (38 skaters)

yay :)

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure Alissa Czisny will continue eligible competition. At this point, she doesn't even have a coach.

It's hard for skaters from non-host nations to get GP invites, and that makes Cheltzie Lee NOT a "for sure"---especially since she is #68 on the ISU World Standings list, and #45 on the Seasons Best list. Tugba Karademir has a slightly better chance of getting one invitation, since she has received GP invitations for the last several years. But the fact that Tugba didn't make the cut for the 2010 Worlds FS, and that she finished 24th at the Olympics, won't be in her favor.

I don't see Yuki Nishino getting a host invitation because she was 16th at Japanese Nationals.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Not sure Alissa Czisny will continue eligible competition. At this point, she doesn't even have a coach.

It's hard for skaters from non-host nations to get GP invites, and that makes Cheltzie Lee NOT a "for sure"---especially since she is #68 on the ISU World Standings list, and #45 on the Seasons Best list. Tugba Karademir has a slightly better chance of getting one invitation, since she has received GP invitations for the last several years. But the fact that Tugba didn't make the cut for the 2010 Worlds FS, and that she finished 24th at the Olympics, won't be in her favor.

I don't see Yuki Nishino getting a host invitation because she was 16th at Japanese Nationals.

Some valid assertions. Where Cheltzie is the only skater from Australia I tend to think she will get an assignment. Skaters like Gizmo, Tugba, Na Young always get GP assignments and I have to think the countries they represent have something to do with that. Plus, Cheltzie did well at Worlds.

Agree about Nishino, Fujisawa will likely get assignments instead of her, she has already done 2 seasons on the JGP.

As for Czisny, yeah, she doesn't have a coach, I thought she had retired b/c she signed on as a cast member of SOI, but then in a video she was talking about her programs so who knows. If she does continue, I tend to think she will get 1 GP and a senior B, possibly 2 GP if the second is SA, but the USFSA would probably be better off giving the host spot to a young up and comer like Gao or Maxwell, IMO.

wallylutz

Medalist
Several news outlets have reported that Skate Canada Int'l 2010 will be held in Kingston, Ontario. The way Skate Canada chooses its hosting cities can be puzzling sometimes. That city has a tiny airport with very little commercial traffic and is some 2.5 hours from the nearest major international airport in Toronto. Not to mention, the city itself is tiny with very little hotel capacity. With almost all other GP countries selecting major cities/capitals as their hosting city, Skate Canada has a way to underwhelm potential visitors by picking a location in the middle of nowhere. :confused:

kitkat28

Rinkside
Anyone got any news on TEB? Usually I'd have bought all my tickets by now, but they still haven't announced a location and there are rumours about no more Eric Bompard, the event being in Georgia or Italy...?

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
Anyone got any news on TEB? Usually I'd have bought all my tickets by now, but they still haven't announced a location and there are rumours about no more Eric Bompard, the event being in Georgia or Italy...?

was?? Gran Prix in Italy? what rumor?

Trewyn

Medalist
^^I've vaguely seen that rumour around too, but I thought it was for next season? Hasn't there already been a preliminary statement by the ISU about the dates etc about the GP? It would seem very weird to change the COUNTRY of that GP now. As far as I can remember this time last year I didn't have much information about TEB either.. The event website was up very very late and I think tickets were available a couple weeks before the announcement of the line-up; so that should be soon if this year's the same. As far as location is concerned; I guess Bercy is a pretty safe bet for now.

kitkat28

Rinkside
Oh okay, thank you everyone! Yeah there's been quite a few rumours swirling around the 'net so to hear it should still be in Paris is good :)

SUN

Spectator
From what I have heard, the current status is the following.

All national Fedrations whose skaters qualified for guaranteed events (1 or 2) are requested to iform the ISU about: 1) who of their qualified skaters will compete in the SGP next season and who will not compete (retired, split, misses the season, etc) and 2) who will stay in Juniors and who will move to seniors.

The Federations are supposed to send this information to the ISU by mid May. After that the lists will be cleaned and will include only those who will compete in SGP (now the lists include everybody who qualified e.g. belbin/Agosto, Domnina/Shabalin, etc but it's the responsibility of the National Federation to officially announce who retired, split, etc).

Since most of this discussion goes around ladies, and specifically US ladies, my guess is the following (not knowing who will move to seniors and who will continue to skate).

US Ladies:
Nagasu and Flatt will get 2 each as they are guaranteed 2.
Zawadski will probably get 1 or 2 she qualified by only 1 criterian of 4 -the Junior Worlds medalist ,but her season best is 25....
Same (even worse) with Gao - JGPFinal 3rd place and 32 season best result-most likely 1 event.
Zhang - 2 events, qualified by 2 criteria-12th WS and 20 season best result
Czizny- 2 events-16th WS and 18th season best result
Wagner-2 events -17th in WS and 16th season best
Dobbso- 1 event 23rd season best
Gille-may get 1 - 31st season best

Regarding the RUS ladies I heard that Agafonova, Shelepen, Ovcharova will stay Junior.

Men:
Abbot, Rippon-guaranteed 2.
Lysacek will get 1 , I think he will not want the second one.
Miner - 1 3rd at JGPF but 35 season best
Mroz-may get 2, 23 and 23 both in WS and Season best.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
From what I have heard, the current status is the following.

All national Fedrations whose skaters qualified for guaranteed events (1 or 2) are requested to iform the ISU about: 1) who of their qualified skaters will compete in the SGP next season and who will not compete (retired, split, misses the season, etc) and 2) who will stay in Juniors and who will move to seniors.

The Federations are supposed to send this information to the ISU by mid May. After that the lists will be cleaned and will include only those who will compete in SGP (now the lists include everybody who qualified e.g. belbin/Agosto, Domnina/Shabalin, etc but it's the responsibility of the National Federation to officially announce who retired, split, etc).

Since most of this discussion goes around ladies, and specifically US ladies, my guess is the following (not knowing who will move to seniors and who will continue to skate).

US Ladies:
Nagasu and Flatt will get 2 each as they are guaranteed 2.
Zawadski will probably get 1 or 2 she qualified by only 1 criterian of 4 -the Junior Worlds medalist ,but her season best is 25....
Same (even worse) with Gao - JGPFinal 3rd place and 32 season best result-most likely 1 event.
Zhang - 2 events, qualified by 2 criteria-12th WS and 20 season best result
Czizny- 2 events-16th WS and 18th season best result
Wagner-2 events -17th in WS and 16th season best
Dobbso- 1 event 23rd season best
Gille-may get 1 - 31st season best

Regarding the RUS ladies I heard that Agafonova, Shelepen, Ovcharova will stay Junior.

Men:
Abbot, Rippon-guaranteed 2.
Lysacek will get 1 , I think he will not want the second one.
Miner - 1 3rd at JGPF but 35 season best
Mroz-may get 2, 23 and 23 both in WS and Season best.

There was an article saying Zawadzki is going to compete internationally as a junior in the coming season, so you don't need to factor her into that equation. Gao and Dobbs will likely get 2 events before Czisny gets 2 events because they did so much better at nationals and each girl has one event gaurunteed, they may all get 2 events though.

And all three Russian girls are staying junior? Agafonova and Ovcharova I'm not surprised, but Shelepen I thought for sure would move up to seniors, but I guess where she won't be age eligible for Worlds or Euros next year she might as well wait another year and go senior when she is age eligible for all senior competitions rather than just the GP competitions. That means there will be a lot of Russian girls on the JGP in the coming season - Agafonova, Ovcharova, Shelepen, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Sheveleva, Birukova. I think they have 14 spots so if each of those girls gets 2 events then that uses up all of Russia's JGP spots. Plus, I don't believe I've ever seen Agafonova attempt a 3loop, which is the required jump next season, Shelepen and Ovcharova both have 3loop but it isn't the strongest jump for either girl (Anna's had it downgraded a few times and Polina often falls out of it).

Last edited:

SUN

Spectator
. Gao and Dobbs will likely get 2 events before Czisny gets 2 events because they did so much better at nationals and each girl has one event gaurunteed, they may all get 2 events though.

QUOTE]

Dobbs qualified to 1 gauranteed event by only 23rd season best result.
Gao-by only 3rd place at JGPF while her season best is only 32.

Alissa qualified by 2 factors: 16th World Standings and 18th seasonal best.

So, internationally she looks (on the papers) way better. I do not think the National results will count.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
There was an article saying Zawadzki is going to compete internationally as a junior in the coming season, so you don't need to factor her into that equation.
Please indulge me as I like to cite sources -- the exact quote from Phil Hersh's 4/21/10 blog article about Zawadzki is that she "likely will compete internationally as a junior."
ETA: So it sure sounds like a good bet that Zawadzki will make her JGP debut this fall (Mirai Nagasu also debuted on the JGP after she won the silver at 2007 Junior Worlds, her international debut).

Thanks for your information, SUN! As far as you know at this time, the ISU WILL keep the provision that all Junior Worlds and Junior Grand Prix Final medalists (gold, silver & bronze) are guaranteed one GP event?

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Please indulge me as I like to cite sources -- the exact quote from Phil Hersh's 4/21/10 blog article about Zawadzki is that she "likely will compete internationally as a junior."
ETA: So it sure sounds like a good bet that Zawadzki will make her JGP debut this fall (Mirai Nagasu also debuted on the JGP after she won the silver at 2007 Junior Worlds, her international debut).

Thanks for your information, SUN! As far as you know at this time, the ISU WILL keep the provision that all Junior Worlds and Junior Grand Prix Final medalists (gold, silver & bronze) are guaranteed one GP event?

Oh ok, yes that is the article I was talking about. I guess it isn't definite but it sounds like Agnes will do the JGP, I guess she could change her mind, but with only 2 worlds spots up for grabs now I'm thinking Agnes making the team may be a stretch anyways. Plus on the JGP she can be a superstar whereas on the SGP she'd get stuck with low draw numbers and that would likely hurt her PCS. Also, she did fall in the SP at Jr. Worlds, it could have just been a fluky mistake but where she isn't used to competing internationally the JGP would kind of ease her into the whole atomosphere and she can learn to deal with pressure when the stakes are less high, as I imagine competing with skaters like Yuna and Mao could be pretty nervewracking.

sorcerer

Final Flight
A little early I know but thought someone might know when the assignment meeting takes place.
Anyone please let us know.
Last year it was late May, IIRC.