Sonia Bianchetti Responds to ISU Judge Interview | Golden Skate

Sonia Bianchetti Responds to ISU Judge Interview

"the role of a judge now is as exciting as that of a cashier in a supermarket."

I am sure there are fans of the "sportliness" of figure skating who will agree that this is the way it should be.

A figure skating judge should be like a time-keeper for the hundred yard dash. One guy finishes in 9.33, the next guy finishes in 9.34. One skater deserves 7.25 for Transitions, the next skater deserves 7.50.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wow! Thank you so much, Tony!

Now with the new system it's all gone. At the end of an event a judge does not even know where he placed a certain skater. It is not his business! The only concern of the judges now a days is to be sure to remain within the famous “corridor”. If a skater tries to do something special hardly any judge dares to reflect it in his marks. Never take the risk to be out of the corridor because you will not be given the chance to explain your point of view.

This is what I was talking about in the Judge's Interview thread. How can the result be fair and truly reflect the skater's abilities? Or truly reflect a skater's inability to do something? The judges are busy saving their own lives.;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Bianchetti is a former ISU judge, referee, and official of 40 years. She sent me some comments in response to the Patrick Ibens interview I conducted a week ago, and says that, "the role of a judge now is as exciting as that of a cashier in a supermarket."

Read her entire commentary here:

http://tony-wheeler.blogspot.com/2010/03/sonia-bianchetti-role-of-judge-now-is.html

Thanks for another interesting interview.
Sonia seems to understand very well the problem with absolute judging and the pcs. It is and always will be comparitive.

"The PC marks do not reflect the skating but rather the starting order and the reputation of the skaters.
As long as the marks for the program components will have to be valued on an absolute scale, there is no way they can be correct."

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Under 6.0, could V/M win OGM? I don't think so. They don't have a long senior career. Maybe OGM would have gone to Dom/Sha. Could Lysacek win OGM? Maybe OGM would have gone to Plushy because he did quad.

For example, when scoring the first three groups at the World Championships, you give between 5.50 and 7.00 and you are in the safe corridor. When the last groups come on the ice, give between 7.00 and 8.50 and you’re safe again!
Isn't this point of view the way 6.0 used to apply? Seems like she is criticizing the weakness of the base of 6.0..

Last edited:
Rather than the nitty gritty of the CoP, perhaps that could be shortened to one score for All Jumps, one score for All spins, one score for flowing (including footwork) over the ice, and last but not least since we insist it all must be done with music, one score for Musicality.

The above is how I judge personally when I am sitting in the stands. What else should I worry about? The five categories I use cover the whole scope of figure skating and should produce a winner. While it may look like the 6.0 system, it is decidely not, but covers the points that should have been covered in the 6.0 system. The only time I had a problem was in 2008 Worlds when my system tied Buttle and Joubert.

I'm not sure if Ms Bianchetti would approve my systen in toto, but at least in part. it would not be judging by the cash register.

skatesindreams

Rinkside
Thanks for sharing, Tony!
This is ludicrous, as well:

Besides, having the ISU decide that a judge is only allowed to arrive on the spot of the competition on the day before the event and has to leave the day after the event, makes the social appeal of the sport gone. I wonder how many judges will be willing to fly may be 12 or more hours, judge two days and fly back, without even being able to see the rest of the competition.

Imagine, not being able to attend the competition after you have completed your assignment!

enoh

Rinkside
So, in summary, she argues that

There are many dishonest and incompetent judges, AND (not but) ISU should give them more authority to make it more "challenging."

Or, using her cashier example (no disrespect to cashiers, she started it first :),

There are dishonest and incompetent cashiers, and supermarkets should give them more authority because it's too boring otherwise.

Apparently I am missing something big here. Nevertheless I found her argument very amusing. Perhaps she wanted to give us good chuckle :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
congrats, Tony. Looks like snagging that interview was just the beginning! how exciting!

adamlondon

On the Ice
I was wondering about that...

I think this Sonia person is bad for the sport. She seems to be like a whinging old bag about all sorts of unimportant things. SHe says you cant judge the PCS absolutely with so many candidates, as if though the 6.0 system makes it easier. In fact it is worse.
SHe then says the judges dont know where skaters are placed.... but that is a good thing because it becomes more objective. You mark as you see and the TES will be calculated very objectively and the other PCS marks averaged. THat is precisely the way to avoid cheating by judges.
SHe then whinges about not seeing the rest of the competition she is not even judging.... I mean they are officially there for work, not for leisure and socials. It is exactly the same in other businesses and I am not sure whether she sees juding as a cocktail party.
I hope people like her retire sooner rather than later as the sport has progressed for the better and she has not.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah - so many things bug me about what she writes that it's often hard to remember that she has a couple of good points. Except those good points have been articulated much more effectively by others; it's almost as if she's seen them and doesn't consider them profoundly, but wants to include them just so her list against IJS is longer.

Sonia also critiques and suggests. Those who dislike her do not seem to be able to suggest anything. They seem only to talk in the negative about her.

If one is unhappy in his work (and who isnt?) does he whine and complain. Of course he/she does. Sometimes it corrects something that needs correction. If a fan is not interested in the administration of figure skating, the fan has the Mao/Yuna threads to enjoy. Why complain about a complainer?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Her critiques are often based on illogical conclusions, though, and her suggestions follow suit. Criticizing her suggestions doesn't mean we're not interested in the administration of the sport, nor does it mean we're Mao/Yuna Bots.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Her critiques are often based on illogical conclusions, though, and her suggestions follow suit. Criticizing her suggestions doesn't mean we're not interested in the administration of the sport, nor does it mean we're Mao/Yuna Bots.

Your first post on this topic suggested that she might have a few good points. You did not mention them but instead opted to bash her as being illogical.

Am curious - what in the interview did you agree with - and why?
My feeling is that Bianchetti has earned the right to speak out and at times I agree with some of her opinions. You are free to disagree but to simply dismiss her as illogical because you disagree with her conclusions is not a very effective argument imho.

I assume this is a sample of the negative over and out replies which I mentioned. It's an opinion but not debateable because you just make angry statements. OK, lets talk about costumes.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Your first post on this topic suggested that she might have a few good points. You did not mention them but instead opted to bash her as being illogical.

Am curious - what in the interview did you agree with - and why?
My feeling is that Bianchetti has earned the right to speak out and at times I agree with some of her opinions. You are free to disagree but to simply dismiss her as illogical because you disagree with her conclusions is not a very effective argument imho.

I assume this is a sample of the negative over and out replies which I mentioned. It's an opinion but not debateable because you just make angry statements. OK, lets talk about costumes.

Fair enough. I didn't respond to her critiques largely because she bores me by making the same points over and over again. But in fairness to you guys and the topic at hand, I will post a longer response to her thoughts later.