Now who do you think will win Worlds? | Golden Skate

Now who do you think will win Worlds?

S

SteveKmetko374

Now who do you think will win Worlds?

I feel like I need 9 choices, but I only can choose 5:rolleyes: . If you think "other" add a reply with your choice. :cool:

S

sk8ing lady2001

Re: Now who do you think will win Worlds?

I think Michelle will win. :)

T

TimGoebelsGirl

I still think that if Michelle goes, she'll win it.

J

Joesitz

Anyone who can skate and miss umpteen jumps and still be held up for a third place, will win the Worlds. I voted for Irina for that reason.

Sasha would deserve to win, but Sarah can out technical her.
and La Kwan is La Kwan.

It will be Irina even if it has to be paid for.

Joe

S

sk8guy2k2

Michelle, but I want Fumie to win.

R

rgirl181

I'm hoping for Shizuka.

B

BronzeisGolden02

My Fav

I want Michelle to win foremost, but, if she doesn't, I'd be just as pleased to see either Fumie or Shizuka get gold.

M

mmandel

Re: My Fav

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;"><div style="text-align:center"><strong>Michelle Kwan!!!!</strong></div></span>

S

SteveKmetko374

Re: My Fav

My fav programs this year are from La Kwan, Sasha and Arakawa, so I would love to see any of them skate a winning performance. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Sarah Hughes won though?

L

LADSKATER

I think Fumie will be a close runner up, maybe right on Sasha's heels providing she skates well, but I think Sasha is the favoured skater at the moment with the judges - but then, who knows this is figure skating and anything can happen.

Ladskater

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:teal;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Joe, considering the fact that Michelle has won 4 world titles and Irina only one, I don't know why you would make such a comment about Irina. It's like saying in advance that if she wins, she didn't deserve it. Unfair, my friend.</span>:mad: :(

J

Joesitz

RG - You are right. But, I actually do think Irina could win and absolutely fairly if she skates clean because of the technical. (her presentation, for me, is fair to midlin). But, the skeptic that I am believes she will win even with presentation marks .1 point below Sasha and Michelle. So the two American standouts will have to do a triple axel to beat her. Presentation will not win on its own. (Maybe Sarah, though, if its fair judging.) We'll see. I'll be there to watch it live.

Joe

M

mmandel

I don't think Irina is ready for worlds, as evidenced by her performance @ Russian Nationals. If Victoria would have skated, I think Irina would have sat comfortably in 3rd place @ nationals. So, it a long-shot, but I see her as a bridesmaid once again this year.

J

Joesitz

RG -I do not believe the scoring system in figure skating is 100 per cent virtuous.

Many posters have said that judges get tired of seeing the same old skaters; or that skater was due for gold; or they don't like so and so's behaviour or they are going to get even with the champ because the win was a fluke, etc.

As for Irina, even Maria B has said that Irina has been held up at Russian Nats and I believe once at Europeans.

I do regret mentioning the possibility of a payoff. Although that sort of thing could exist, I am sure it is the least of reasons for holding up a skater, particularly after SLC.

BTW, I could also write a similar note about Michelle. Imo, she too, has been held up at times but I think she has become less popular these days, and unless she demonstrates triple combos, her days of gold are just about over.

Presentation is the lesser of the marks. When Yoshie can get .2 point higher for technical and .l lower for presentation over Fumie (a much much better skater, imo) and win, what can I say?

I think Sasha Cohen is the skater of the moment but she is more of a "presentation" skater than a "technical skater".

I still pick Irina for the worlds. If enough Slavic judges are in the mix she has an excellent chance. This is a cultural thing -not a political thing. (But I won't eat my hat if she loses.)

Joe

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:purple;font-family:verdana;font-size:x-small;">I voted for "other". I'd like to see Shizuka or VV come out as the winner. A long shot, I know...

Laura :)

PS Joe, if Worlds were being held in Europe, I might agree with your theory about Irina. But since it's in DC, I think it'll go to an American skater who may not deserve it. :( </span>

S

SteveKmetko374

B&S won over S&P even though it was in North America, due to having more judges in their favor, so I dont think the geography matters as much as the geographical look of the judging panel. Of course we won't know because of the anonymous judging panels.

I think what Joe is saying is that Irina seems to be forgiven by a lot of judges and receives high marks regardless of whether she actually skates well. It could be a case of them judging her practices. She has been helped along the way by the judges so far this season, even though she hasn't been winning, she has been placing higher than she probably deserved in some cases.

For years skaters have complained about being "out of favor" with their federations -- Maria in particular had no support for a long time, and that would include no judging support. The same could be said for Yags/PLushenko... first Plushenko is winning everything and then suddenly Yags seemed to get back into their good graces and viola.. he is winning over Plushenko (beginning at GPF's). It seems clear that unless somebody runs away with the gold, meaning nobody comes close to matching up to their skating, this one is going to be purely luck of the judging draw.

S

Show 42

If Michelle skates in the "zone" again as she did at Nationals, triple-triple or not, she will be a strong contender. I vote for Michelle!!!! 42

L

lubb anqel xD

i dink michelle will win. she'z got it mentally n physically. she was great at nationals. :)

J

Joesitz

The question is whom do you THINK will win the Worlds?

From what I THINK it will be a Russian sweep of lst places in Dance, Pairs, Ladies and Men. I don't believe they will deserve all this but I do believe this will be the end result.

Whom would I WANT to win the Worlds?

The Bulgarian Dance Team; S&Z pairs; Joubert or Lambiel (assume Klimkin is not going); Kwan.

That gives me l Eastern European; 1 Asian; 1 Western European; 1 North American.

I like diversity.

Joe

B

BronzeisGolden02

My Picks

The ladies and dance events are all I really care about this year. If Michelle skates like she did at Nationals and has a seventh triple (especially in a triple-triple) I believe it will be difficult for her to lose. Well, unless Irina lands her triple-triple and skates later than Michelle, then I could see it easily going to Slutskaya. But who knows, SLC should have taught us that anything can happen. Arakawa has two triple-triples, though they aren't always the most consistent, but they are there and she is lovely to watch. Sarah and Sasha should contend for medals as well, but both will have to perform at a much higher level than they did at Nationals. The international judges won't be so kind to Sarah with a five triple program.

LADIES
Kwan

MEN
Plushenko

PAIRS
Shen & Zhou

DANCE
L&A (AAARGH!!!!) I just feel it! B&K will have to do more