Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Music do you think should be retired?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

What Music do you think should be retired?

Any pieces that whenever somebody skates to them you will always think of another skater's interpretation and use of that music?

Carmen certainly is one, most would say K. Witt is the standard. Because I did not grow up in the Witt era and i have seen SO many versions no one sticks in my head as the comparison piece, but different selections of music from the opera make the think of different skater's programs.

I will always think of Evan at the worlds last year when I hear those cymbals at the end of Gershwin's Concerto in F.

Rota's Romeo and Juliet will always be Sasha's for me.

Turandot will be compared to Shen and Zhao as long as that arrangement is used.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Tosca. Yagudin, Plushenko, Irina and the Kween (in addition to other skaters) all used it, but the skate that always comes to mind is the Kween's Nats performance. Such a triumphant moment.

Scheherazade as well. Of course, the Kween comes to mind. Yu-na wasn't too shabby either, but the other performances were pretty pale in comparison.

Ararat belongs to Jeff.
    The Swan belongs to Johnny.
    Chopin Nocturne No.2 Op. 9-2 in E flat major belongs to Mao.
    Bond Girl to Yuna.
    And zebra belongs to Stephane. Nobody should wear that costume (if anyone ever wants to).

Adagio is overused in dance. I don't associate it with one particular team (the ones I can remember using it offhand are Bourne & Kraatz and Bobrova & Soloviev) but I'm just sick of it!! Phantom is overused too, but I actually really like Phantom.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Ararat belongs to Jeff.
    The Swan belongs to Johnny.
    Chopin Nocturne No.2 Op. 9-2 in E flat major belongs to Mao.
    Bond Girl to Yuna.

And zebra belongs to Stephane. Nobody should wear that costume (if anyone ever wants to).
    Ditto to those three. Can't imagine anyone else skating to them. And ditto to no more Carmen! I imagine that every female skater(or almost every) has skated to this piece in recent skating history.
    Last edited by miki88; 04-08-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Custom Title
    Bye bye to Take Five.

Custom Title
    please no more Scheherazade ...

Custom Title
    The Nocturne from Morricone's Lady Caliph has never been (or will ever be, really) skated to better than Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze. That includes you, Johnny.

Ravel's Bolero should be the sole providence of Torvill/Dean.

The only performance to Take Five that really stood out to me was Lu Chen's SP version, even if the jumps weren't quite there.

El Tango de Roxanne, too. Yu-Na has skated the definitive version, IMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    El Tango de Roxanne, too. Yu-Na has skated the definitive version, IMO.
    ITA. That and Gershwin's Concerto in F and Danse Macabre, I feel, should be retired.

Custom Title
    I feel like WAY too many people skate to "Happy Birthday to You". Retire it already!

Banned
    In theory no music should be retired as every interpretation/skater can bring something fresh. I hate Take 5 as a peice of music so would be happy were no one to ever choose it again. I love Carmen!

Custom Title
    Sheherazade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm can't stand that music anymore. Too many skaters have performed to it and even worst way too many skaters perform it in the same season. I guess banned would be a better word than retire. Another ones would be firebird, Rachmaninoff's piano concierto #2, Phantom of the Opera, Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, Carmen, Fantasie Impromptu.

A

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koheikun90 View Post
    Sheherazade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm can't stand that music anymore. Too many skaters have performed to it and even worst way too many skaters perform it in the same season. I guess banned would be a better word than retire. Another ones would be firebird, Rachmaninoff's piano concierto #2, Phantom of the Opera, Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, Carmen, Fantasie Impromptu.

A
    Bolero, most definitely forever after T & D
    Love story, after Sale and Pelletier - couldn't stand watch the Russian pair skating through it
    Fire Bird - it was all over the discpline this year - no performance makes sense for me
    Requim of Time (?) - D/D music but others used it in dance too - not a good skating music
    Zorba the Greek - please enough already
    The music Daisuke skated to this year - it's used every year by somebody in singles or dance. I agree Dai did a great job. But I am really tired of this music
    Meditation by Thais - sorry Yuna, I love you to death, but there are a lot more original lyrical music out there for you and others to skate to
    Sheherazade - skated to death - many great performances - enough already

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I will always think of Evan at the worlds last year when I hear those cymbals at the end of Gershwin's Concerto in F.
    Evan used Rhapsody in Blue (1924). Yu-na used Piano Concerto in F (1925). The two are different. I don't get why people confuse the two.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast