What Music do you think should be retired? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What Music do you think should be retired?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
What about memoirs of a ghiesha and the mission? Especially at the lower level skaters.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What about memoirs of a ghiesha and the mission? Especially at the lower level skaters.

I loved Miki's Geisha program, I think it was one of her best. The Mission isn't used that much, I only know of Alissa Czsiny and Amanda Dobbs, and I really liked both of their programs set to that music.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I agree with what everyone else said and I would like add these to the list.....
Romeo and Juliet
Bolero
Firebird (after this season I think I have had enough firebird)

mishieru07

On the Ice
Carmen belongs to Navka and Kostomarov (the best free dance of ever!!!)

You serious? I like N/K but I thought their Carmen was really uninspiring, nothing particularly outstanding or memorable. I far prefer their Pink Panther/ Austin Powers FD - Tatiana is such a DIVA.

I know that everyone should be allowed to use any piece of music they want since everyone has a different interpretation but I hope no one uses these next season aka skating warhorses:
Carmen
POTO
POTC
RoaD (anyway, if the rule on "uplifting music" passes, we'll no longer see it in dance)
Scherezade

With regards to skaters "owning" pieces post-Vancouver, I think few will ever use Mahler's Symphony No 5, especially the Adagietto. It will be difficult to top V/M imo, and that music isn't particularly skate friendly. Same goes for Gershwin's Piano Concerto. I think we'll see more Bond, POTO and Scherezades around though.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Retire music.....:think:
Nonsense, and feels almost as dumb as burning books we don't like. ;)

Here is a Scheherazade from 1990 Worlds - winner of a controversial Silver medal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvgWI8QDrzQ&feature=related

Now if ISU had followed the silly suggestions here and "retired" music then we would have missed this Sheherazade from 2009 Worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xwx-Z3ijc

There are reasons certain music is used so frequently and the whining about it never ceases to amaze me.

At times I find it interesting comparing skaters from different eras - seeing how they interpreted the same piece of music - and in a broader sense watching how skating has evolved over the years.

We will see more of Scheherazade and Carmen in the future. Many of us will enjoy the new performances and then go back and watch performances from the past.

Is that really such a bad thing?

Last edited: