What Music do you think should be retired? | Golden Skate

What Music do you think should be retired?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Any pieces that whenever somebody skates to them you will always think of another skater's interpretation and use of that music?

Carmen certainly is one, most would say K. Witt is the standard. Because I did not grow up in the Witt era and i have seen SO many versions no one sticks in my head as the comparison piece, but different selections of music from the opera make the think of different skater's programs.

I will always think of Evan at the worlds last year when I hear those cymbals at the end of Gershwin's Concerto in F.

Rota's Romeo and Juliet will always be Sasha's for me.

Turandot will be compared to Shen and Zhao as long as that arrangement is used.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Tosca. Yagudin, Plushenko, Irina and the Kween (in addition to other skaters) all used it, but the skate that always comes to mind is the Kween's Nats performance. Such a triumphant moment.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Scheherazade as well. Of course, the Kween comes to mind. Yu-na wasn't too shabby either, but the other performances were pretty pale in comparison.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Ararat belongs to Jeff.
The Swan belongs to Johnny.
Chopin Nocturne No.2 Op. 9-2 in E flat major belongs to Mao.
Bond Girl to Yuna.
And zebra belongs to Stephane. Nobody should wear that costume (if anyone ever wants to).:p

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

Adagio is overused in dance. I don't associate it with one particular team (the ones I can remember using it offhand are Bourne & Kraatz and Bobrova & Soloviev) but I'm just sick of it!! Phantom is overused too, but I actually really like Phantom.

miki88

Medalist
Ararat belongs to Jeff.
The Swan belongs to Johnny.
Chopin Nocturne No.2 Op. 9-2 in E flat major belongs to Mao.
Bond Girl to Yuna.

And zebra belongs to Stephane. Nobody should wear that costume (if anyone ever wants to).:p

Ditto to those three. Can't imagine anyone else skating to them. And ditto to no more Carmen! I imagine that every female skater(or almost every:p) has skated to this piece in recent skating history.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
The Nocturne from Morricone's Lady Caliph has never been (or will ever be, really) skated to better than Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze. That includes you, Johnny.

Ravel's Bolero should be the sole providence of Torvill/Dean.

The only performance to Take Five that really stood out to me was Lu Chen's SP version, even if the jumps weren't quite there.

El Tango de Roxanne, too. Yu-Na has skated the definitive version, IMO.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
In theory no music should be retired as every interpretation/skater can bring something fresh. I hate Take 5 as a peice of music so would be happy were no one to ever choose it again. I love Carmen!

koheikun90

On the Ice
Sheherazade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm can't stand that music anymore. Too many skaters have performed to it and even worst way too many skaters perform it in the same season. I guess banned would be a better word than retire. Another ones would be firebird, Rachmaninoff's piano concierto #2, Phantom of the Opera, Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, Carmen, Fantasie Impromptu.

A

aurora100

Final Flight
Sheherazade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm can't stand that music anymore. Too many skaters have performed to it and even worst way too many skaters perform it in the same season. I guess banned would be a better word than retire. Another ones would be firebird, Rachmaninoff's piano concierto #2, Phantom of the Opera, Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, Carmen, Fantasie Impromptu.

A

Bolero, most definitely forever after T & D
Love story, after Sale and Pelletier - couldn't stand watch the Russian pair skating through it
Fire Bird - it was all over the discpline this year - no performance makes sense for me
Requim of Time (?) - D/D music but others used it in dance too - not a good skating music
Zorba the Greek - please enough already
The music Daisuke skated to this year - it's used every year by somebody in singles or dance. I agree Dai did a great job. But I am really tired of this music
Meditation by Thais - sorry Yuna, I love you to death, but there are a lot more original lyrical music out there for you and others to skate to
Sheherazade - skated to death - many great performances - enough already

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I will always think of Evan at the worlds last year when I hear those cymbals at the end of Gershwin's Concerto in F.

Evan used Rhapsody in Blue (1924). Yu-na used Piano Concerto in F (1925). The two are different. I don't get why people confuse the two.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Sheherazade and Carmen.

Those two are most typical skating music across levels from litte kids to adults. It's just that they bring in dramas easily.

But Evan's Sheherazade was not great in terms of interpretation because he just does not have that softness. I wondered why he did not go for Carmen.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Right. I think that Evan is better with Fire Birds, Carmen etc, that type of marching songs.

Eszterbeszti

Rinkside
Well, I vote for the Pirates of the Carribean.
Now it's a bit boring... and nobobay could do a unique program to it (except for Javier Fernandez and Mirai Nagasu)