Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ISU threatens Rochette with loss of eligibility

Banned

ISU threatens Rochette with loss of eligibility

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...medium=twitter

In a ham-fisted attempt to exert its power, the International Skating Union has threatened Olympic bronze medalist Joannie Rochette of Canada with loss of eligibility if she skates an exhibition tribute to her mother during a made-for-TV competition Thursday in Connecticut.

Rochette's skating captured the hearts of everyone who saw it at the 2010 Olympics, where she earned the medal just four days after her mother, Therese, died unexpectedly of a massive heart attack. She performed the tribute to her mother, skating to a Celine Dion song that was one of Therese Rochette's favorites, at the exhibition gala following the Olympic competition in Vancouver.

According to Chicago Tribune sources, when the ISU learned Rochette planned to skate the tribute again as part of ``Thin Ice,'' an event that does not have the international federation's sanction, it reminded Rochette that both she and Skate Canada would run afoul of ISU rules 102 and 136 if she did the exhibition.
    Nuance.

Custom Title
    That's a little intense, are they for real?

it's not like she needs to compete. she's going to have a nice little niche going, and if enough of the big stars go pro together, they might be able to revitalize a dying medium.

Custom Title
    As much as I feel for Rochette, I still believe that the rules apply to everyone with no exceptions. Somebody should have thought about these rules before her participation was arranged...
    Last edited by Jaana; 03-15-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    As much as I feel for Rochette, I still believe that the rules apply to everyone with no exceptions. Somebody should have thought about these rules before her participation was arranged...
    I'm in favor of following sensible rules as much as the next guy, but this is the ISU we're talking about, an organization that traditionally has openly supported cheating judges and breaks its own rules whenever it feels like it (most recently by allowing the Chinese federation an extra team at jr worlds).

When ISU officials start holding themselves to some standards they can talk about the need to follow the rules. Until then they're a bunch of hypocrites with one set of standards for skaters and another for themselves. blech.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Rochette is done competing anyway, why should she care.

Tripping on the Podium
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The skaters need to band together and break free from ISU's death grip to form a Skating Tour of their own (just like tennis players did years and years ago). Until then, the skaters are never going to get the money and the freedom they deserve...

Quote Originally Posted by tommyk75 View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The skaters need to band together and break free from ISU's death grip to form a Skating Tour of their own (just like tennis players did years and years ago). Until then, the skaters are never going to get the money and the freedom they deserve...
    The skaters will not band together. The closest they got was in 2003 to rally around a World Figure Skating Organization. There were few skaters interested and, it soon fizzled out.

We have to realize that Figure Skating is of limited interest to the public. At its best, once every four years. Those who love the Sport do not want to change anything which might prevent figure skating from being seen on a regular basis. A new association just might take too long to get organized.

Apparently, the ISU has decided to enforce its rules without exception. Joannie must decide if she wishes to continue as a competitor. If Thin Ice is a success, competition may continue. I do not think it has to be retired competitors only, but it would need some organization. Running side by side with the ISU may make the ISU think more. There are 2 Baseball Leagues, why not 2 Figure Skating Leagues?

Heartless on the part of the ISU.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Heartless on the part of the ISU.
    and shortsighted too.

Why not play up a memorable moment from the Olympics?
    Many fans in USA did not even see it because NBC had such limited and chopped up coverage of the gala.

I guess rules are rules but ISU seems to be losing out on a chance to show something nice.

Custom Title
    Yeah I agree it's a bit over the top. However, I had assumed Joannie would retire after this season anyways. She's won a World and Olympic medal, tons of Canadian championships, and will be 28 when Sochi rolls around. If she wants to go pro then I think that's a good idea, she has fabulous exhibition pieces .

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I didn't realize a skater could be threatened with a loss of eligibility by simply performing an exhibition program. Since she wasn't going to be competing in the event, I thought her status was fine. Oh well, this sport will continue to go nowhere as long as the governing body continues to bully its skaters. None of the athletes deserve to be treated this way. Look at all they sacrifice year after year to be a part of this incredibly expensive and difficult sport, and THIS is how they get treated. Shameful and embarrassing on the part of the ISU!

Don't these people have any common sense or common decency?
    And as for this quote, please look in the mirror, Phil!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 03-15-2010 at 08:09 AM.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    This is just stupid! Someone please split the ISU...let speedy take over the speed skating and get someone else who has a clue to take over the figure skating part of the ISU.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The skaters will not band together. The closest they got was in 2003 to rally around a World Figure Skating Organization. There were few skaters interested and, it soon fizzled out.
    actually they were interested, but the ISU threatened anyone that joined with immediate bans. which scared off their support. better to compete than change the way it's run.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    and shortsighted too.

Why not play up a memorable moment from the Olympics?
    Many fans in USA did not even see it because NBC had such limited and chopped up coverage of the gala.

I guess rules are rules but ISU seems to be losing out on a chance to show something nice.
    that's just it, the ISU is not in control of Thin Ice, which is why they are hopping mad. How dare skaters do something they can't dip their dirty little hands in when the cash starts to flow.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 03-15-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Wow. ISU sure has a lot of silly rules~~~

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    And as for this quote, please look in the mirror, Phil!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast