ISU threatens Rochette with loss of eligibility | Golden Skate

ISU threatens Rochette with loss of eligibility

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

In a ham-fisted attempt to exert its power, the International Skating Union has threatened Olympic bronze medalist Joannie Rochette of Canada with loss of eligibility if she skates an exhibition tribute to her mother during a made-for-TV competition Thursday in Connecticut.

Rochette's skating captured the hearts of everyone who saw it at the 2010 Olympics, where she earned the medal just four days after her mother, Therese, died unexpectedly of a massive heart attack. She performed the tribute to her mother, skating to a Celine Dion song that was one of Therese Rochette's favorites, at the exhibition gala following the Olympic competition in Vancouver.

According to Chicago Tribune sources, when the ISU learned Rochette planned to skate the tribute again as part of ``Thin Ice,'' an event that does not have the international federation's sanction, it reminded Rochette that both she and Skate Canada would run afoul of ISU rules 102 and 136 if she did the exhibition.

Nuance.:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's not like she needs to compete. she's going to have a nice little niche going, and if enough of the big stars go pro together, they might be able to revitalize a dying medium.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As much as I feel for Rochette, I still believe that the rules apply to everyone with no exceptions. Somebody should have thought about these rules before her participation was arranged...

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
As much as I feel for Rochette, I still believe that the rules apply to everyone with no exceptions. Somebody should have thought about these rules before her participation was arranged...

I'm in favor of following sensible rules as much as the next guy, but this is the ISU we're talking about, an organization that traditionally has openly supported cheating judges and breaks its own rules whenever it feels like it (most recently by allowing the Chinese federation an extra team at jr worlds).

When ISU officials start holding themselves to some standards they can talk about the need to follow the rules. Until then they're a bunch of hypocrites with one set of standards for skaters and another for themselves. blech.

tommyk75

Rinkside
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The skaters need to band together and break free from ISU's death grip to form a Skating Tour of their own (just like tennis players did years and years ago). Until then, the skaters are never going to get the money and the freedom they deserve...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The skaters need to band together and break free from ISU's death grip to form a Skating Tour of their own (just like tennis players did years and years ago). Until then, the skaters are never going to get the money and the freedom they deserve...
The skaters will not band together. The closest they got was in 2003 to rally around a World Figure Skating Organization. There were few skaters interested and, it soon fizzled out.

We have to realize that Figure Skating is of limited interest to the public. At its best, once every four years. Those who love the Sport do not want to change anything which might prevent figure skating from being seen on a regular basis. A new association just might take too long to get organized.

Apparently, the ISU has decided to enforce its rules without exception. Joannie must decide if she wishes to continue as a competitor. If Thin Ice is a success, competition may continue. I do not think it has to be retired competitors only, but it would need some organization. Running side by side with the ISU may make the ISU think more. There are 2 Baseball Leagues, why not 2 Figure Skating Leagues?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Heartless on the part of the ISU.

and shortsighted too.

Why not play up a memorable moment from the Olympics?
Many fans in USA did not even see it because NBC had such limited and chopped up coverage of the gala.

I guess rules are rules but ISU seems to be losing out on a chance to show something nice.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah I agree it's a bit over the top. However, I had assumed Joannie would retire after this season anyways. She's won a World and Olympic medal, tons of Canadian championships, and will be 28 when Sochi rolls around. If she wants to go pro then I think that's a good idea, she has fabulous exhibition pieces :love:.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't realize a skater could be threatened with a loss of eligibility by simply performing an exhibition program. Since she wasn't going to be competing in the event, I thought her status was fine. Oh well, this sport will continue to go nowhere as long as the governing body continues to bully its skaters. None of the athletes deserve to be treated this way. Look at all they sacrifice year after year to be a part of this incredibly expensive and difficult sport, and THIS is how they get treated. Shameful and embarrassing on the part of the ISU! :disapp::scowl:

Don't these people have any common sense or common decency?

And as for this quote, please look in the mirror, Phil! :rolleye:

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
This is just stupid! Someone please split the ISU...let speedy take over the speed skating and get someone else who has a clue to take over the figure skating part of the ISU.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The skaters will not band together. The closest they got was in 2003 to rally around a World Figure Skating Organization. There were few skaters interested and, it soon fizzled out.

actually they were interested, but the ISU threatened anyone that joined with immediate bans. which scared off their support. better to compete than change the way it's run.

and shortsighted too.

Why not play up a memorable moment from the Olympics?
Many fans in USA did not even see it because NBC had such limited and chopped up coverage of the gala.

I guess rules are rules but ISU seems to be losing out on a chance to show something nice.

that's just it, the ISU is not in control of Thin Ice, which is why they are hopping mad. How dare skaters do something they can't dip their dirty little hands in when the cash starts to flow.

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
That is so silly. They should get rid of that rule anyway. I remember in BGJW how Weir was saying how expensive it is be a competitive skater at that level even with some help from the skating association. Its only an exhibition and something dedicated to her mother who passed away. Does seem very unfair to me. Who knows, she may have wanted to return for another season as skating could be a comfort to her and something difficult to do these days professionally.

gottadance

On the Ice
this episode a sad example of the detachment of the ISU

on the ISU website they list Phaeneuf and Samson as the lady competitors from Canada for Worlds - does anybody know if Joannie made that decision or the ISU after learning of her upcoming exhibition skate. According to the Phil Hersch article , Joannie hasnt decided about Worlds so I find the change on thier web site very interesting.
Can somebody clairify for me - does the ISU rule state that a skater cant do exhibitions or cant compete in a non -sanctioned competition - I understood Joannies appearance is purely as an exhibition not as a competitor?

Also, let me get this straight - its OK for people like Lambiel and the Chineses pairs team to return to the Olympics having skated Pro for years , but an Olympic medallist cant skate an exhibition??

Is the ISU really this bad ? Could they be any more biased against North America? This is a public relations nightmare for them - I also feel a bit sorry for Skate Canada too .

sk8rdad

On the Ice
It sounds to me like the ISU was simply pointing out to Skate Canada and Rochette that "Thin Ice" had not be sanctioned properly. All amateur skaters need to ensure that any show they do is properly sanction by the appropriate bodies before performing. Phil Hersh is over sensationalizing the facts.

^ Yes, the ISU does seem to be putting all the blame on Skate Canada.

ISU director general Schmid said it was up to Skate Canada to decide whether to allow Rochette to perform the exhibition.

:This is an internal decision of Skate Canada, and I do not know why they made it,'' Schmid said Monday.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
So is Joannie's only option to announce retirement? I am sure she has not fully made up her mind about skating next season, but she could always pull a Evgeni or a Shen and Zhao and "come back"