Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ISU threatens Rochette with loss of eligibility

That is so silly. They should get rid of that rule anyway. I remember in BGJW how Weir was saying how expensive it is be a competitive skater at that level even with some help from the skating association. Its only an exhibition and something dedicated to her mother who passed away. Does seem very unfair to me. Who knows, she may have wanted to return for another season as skating could be a comfort to her and something difficult to do these days professionally.

Custom Title

this episode a sad example of the detachment of the ISU

on the ISU website they list Phaeneuf and Samson as the lady competitors from Canada for Worlds - does anybody know if Joannie made that decision or the ISU after learning of her upcoming exhibition skate. According to the Phil Hersch article , Joannie hasnt decided about Worlds so I find the change on thier web site very interesting.
    Can somebody clairify for me - does the ISU rule state that a skater cant do exhibitions or cant compete in a non -sanctioned competition - I understood Joannies appearance is purely as an exhibition not as a competitor?

Also, let me get this straight - its OK for people like Lambiel and the Chineses pairs team to return to the Olympics having skated Pro for years , but an Olympic medallist cant skate an exhibition??

Is the ISU really this bad ? Could they be any more biased against North America? This is a public relations nightmare for them - I also feel a bit sorry for Skate Canada too .

Custom Title
    It sounds to me like the ISU was simply pointing out to Skate Canada and Rochette that "Thin Ice" had not be sanctioned properly. All amateur skaters need to ensure that any show they do is properly sanction by the appropriate bodies before performing. Phil Hersh is over sensationalizing the facts.

^ Yes, the ISU does seem to be putting all the blame on Skate Canada.

ISU director general Schmid said it was up to Skate Canada to decide whether to allow Rochette to perform the exhibition.

:This is an internal decision of Skate Canada, and I do not know why they made it,'' Schmid said Monday.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    So is Joannie's only option to announce retirement? I am sure she has not fully made up her mind about skating next season, but she could always pull a Evgeni or a Shen and Zhao and "come back"

Custom Title
    i thought i read in a figure skating magazine ( i think IFS that came out in January issue) that any eligible skater that skated on the show _Thin Ice would be a pro-why they rules and competition didn't meet eligilbe standards for competition in otherwords 6 men, 6 women, 6 pairs, 6 dance teams.
    they have what a total of 6 or 8 skaters competing.
    if they allow joannie to skate in the show they would have to allow all the pro skaters older and younger to be eligible to skate.
    this is After the ISU closed the door on Pro skaters competing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    i thought i read in a figure skating magazine ( i think IFS that came out in January issue) that any eligible skater that skated on the show _Thin Ice would be a pro-why they rules and competition didn't meet eligilbe standards for competition in otherwords 6 men, 6 women, 6 pairs, 6 dance teams.
    they have what a total of 6 or 8 skaters competing.
    if they allow joannie to skate in the show they would have to allow all the pro skaters older and younger to be eligible to skate.
    this is After the ISU closed the door on Pro skaters competing.
    Joannie is not competing in the show! She was doing an exhibition!!

Custom Title
    IIRC, the rule used to be that a skater lost eligibility if they competed in an unsanctioned competition. Joannie is not competing, only skating an exhibition. The ISU is behaving tyranically, which is nothing new. When there was an attempt to form a rival global figure skating organization, the one to which Joe refers in this thread, it was quashed by the ISU threatening to ban any ISU member who became a member of the new group, from all ISU events. That would have meant career suicide for the skaters, so the effort to form a new group fell apart. Basically, the ISU is apparently a completely self-serving organization devoid of any moral compass. But that's not news.

ETA: Searched the Net to find the exact title of the new organization that sank beneath the waves. The Net seemed mostly scrubbed, but I found one article that gives the title (WSF = World Skating Federation) and a lot of information, except I think it leaves out the ISU threats that were available online at the time. It was not only skaters that were to be banned, as I recall, it was judges, etc. After that, people back-pedaled like crazy to save their jobs. The federations fell into line, and it got very quiet. I always wondered why no one sued the ISU for Restraint of Trade.
    Last edited by Dodhiyel; 03-15-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    IIRC, the rule used to be that a skater lost eligibility if they competed in an unsanctioned competition. Joannie is not competing, only skating an exhibition. The ISU is behaving tyranically, which is nothing new. When there was an attempt to form a rival global figure skating organization, the one to which Joe refers in this thread, it was quashed by the ISU threatening to ban any ISU member who became a member of the new group, from all ISU events. That would have meant career suicide for the skaters, so the effort to form a new group fell apart. Basically, the ISU is apparently a completely self-serving organization devoid of any moral compass. But that's not news.
    Perhaps Speedy is hoping for a payoff from ABC - but knowing that ABC is from the same corporation as ESPN I doubt if they would fall for his "negociating style."

Sure, ABC could easily send Speedy/ISU some money to smooth this over - but why should they?

Maybe it is all a misunderstanding and Joannie will be allowed to skate an exhibition without losing her eligibilty. Whether Joannie chooses to continue competing or not should be her decision and not determined by a pathetic attempt by ISU to maintain such dictatorial control over skaters.

My gosh, the stupidity and greed of Speedy/ISU is astonishing and mind boggling!
    Thinking back to their attempt to try and force Yuna to compete at 4CC a month before the Olympics just demonstrates ISU's total disdain for the skaters.

I wish Plushy, Lambiel, Johnny, etc would join forces and start a new Pro circuit just so ISU would not have a monopoly and so much power over what skaters can do.

It seems to have escaped ISU that having a strong and viable Pro circuit used to be good for skating. It kept skating in the public eye and probably helped increase the public's interest in ISU events and figure skating in general.

I hope no matter what that Joannie skates her exhibition and then takes her time deciding about her future. If she decides to continue competing I can't wait to see Speedy and ISU try and stop her. Joannie may be Canada's "daughter" but I believe she has earned the respect of skating fans across around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    perhaps speedy is hoping for a payoff from abc - but knowing that abc is from the same corporation as espn i doubt if they would fall for his "negociating style."

sure, abc could easily send speedy/isu some money to smooth this over - but why should they?

Maybe it is all a misunderstanding and joannie will be allowed to skate an exhibition without losing her eligibilty. Whether joannie chooses to continue competing or not should be her decision and not determined by a pathetic attempt by isu to maintain such dictatorial control over skaters.

My gosh, the stupidity and greed of speedy/isu is astonishing and mind boggling!
    Thinking back to their attempt to try and force yuna to compete at 4cc a month before the olympics just demonstrates isu's total disdain for the skaters.

I wish plushy, lambiel, johnny, etc would join forces and start a new pro circuit just so isu would not have a monopoly and so much power over what skaters can do.

It seems to have escaped isu that having a strong and viable pro circuit used to be good for skating. It kept skating in the public eye and probably helped increase the public's interest in isu events and figure skating in general.

I hope no matter what that joannie skates her exhibition and then takes her time deciding about her future. If she decides to continue competing i can't wait to see speedy and isu try and stop her. Joannie may be canada's "daughter" but i believe she has earned the respect of skating fans across the world.
    ita!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    .... Joannie may be Canada's "daughter" but I believe she has earned the respect of skating fans across around the world.
    Amen to that.

I have found more information about the ISU vs. WSF on the Net, although not under the name of the WSF itself . For those who are historically interested, here are some URLs, not listed in the order of importance, but quite interesting.

http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vf...-0-file,00.pdf

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/a...k-letter.shtml

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...yisfalling.htm

http://www.skatefair.org/documents/p...g_lakernik.pdf

http://isuskating.lg1x1.simplecdn.ne...-0-file,00.pdf

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    The ISU is so totally crass , not to mention despotic , irrational, etc.,etc.

Like others, I had assumed that since Joannie wasn't actually competing, she would be OK. As I said on another thread , I was always doubtful that she would be in any condition to compete at World's, but an exhibition skate is a far less taxing matter, and it's not as if it conflicted with Worlds..

They seem to be completely tone deaf to the things they say and do that make their own sport appear in a bad light. They don't enforce their own rules within their own competitions ( # of competitors, inappropriate costumes, music..and on , and on ) but want to have control over what a skater does outside of competition altogether. It's all too bizarre. I can understand them not wanting eligible skaters to compete in outside competitions ..but an exhibition skate?

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I thought the rule was that a skater could not retain eligibility if s/he skated in a non ISU sanctioned show. Not competed, but skated. And I thought that shows were sanctioned because they gave the ISU a piece of the pie.

Custom Title
    The ISU is being so utterly ridiculous in this case. They think they can go around being a big bully. But in the case of Yu-Na not competing at Four Continents, exactly what have they done to punish her or the Korean figure skating associattion? I don't think they've done anything. And in the case of Joannie, she has just officially announced her withdrawal from Worlds - which I am not surprised at. Even though a few weeks ago she said she had to get ready I really did not think under the circumstances she would. And if she is just skating an exhibition, what is the harm? Yes, I know there are rules - but in this extraoridinary case there should be an exception (just MOHO).

Quote Originally Posted by hrmsk8ngnutt View Post
    Yes, I know there are rules
    Yeah, just like there are rules about how many teams a federation can send to jr worlds. Fat lot of good that did.

The issue here is money, plain and simple. Shows that make payoffs to the ISU can have eligible skaters, ones that don't can't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast