Is Terry getting paid to mention Yagudin whenever possible? | Golden Skate

Is Terry getting paid to mention Yagudin whenever possible?

anya_angie

Final Flight
OK I might be getting a backlash for this post but I can't help it.

I'm not sure what to say, I've wrestled over this topic for a while lol but I just have to ask is he getting paid by someone or other to keep Yagudin's name in the broadcast at least 5 times or more? Like my friend Marsha, who is a die-hard Yagudin fan, says, "Yags is pro now, move on."

Jhar55

Medalist
Wow, never thought about Terry or anyone else getting paid (extra) for mentioning* Yags over and over or any other skater. But some do get alot of media attention and others nothing unless there at the top of their group.
Sorry about the spelling but can't find spell check anymore. :\

Can't imagine why he would get paid. You didn't really say why you think so except that you wonder (correct word?) why he should mention the Yagudin name.

Yagudin is still the Oly Champion; he was very active in the GPs for sometime and most likely in Skate Canada. For a sportscaster to bring up past winners for the sake of reminiscence or for comparision is not unusual. I think that's what Terry was doing. It doesn't bother me. Actually, I didn't even notice that he did. I think he meant it in a comlimentary way.

Joe

marguerita

Rinkside
It was the Yagudin Footwork comment that Terry just had to throw in to the commentary. I could have done without just because I am tired :eek: of hearing about Yagudin being the pioneer of footwork and didn't particularly want to hear about it while I was trying to watch Plushenko's program. Move on Terry!

anya_angie

Final Flight
Well, it was sort of a joke, but sort of serious. I am really only talking about Skate Canada short program at the moment, Yagudin is not there, they don't even show anything of him, but somehow or other they always end up going to him.

I don't doubt Yag's contribution to the sport, I don't doubt he is a legend and should be remembered but I ask you, is he in danger of being forgotten anytime soon? I don't think so.

marguerita said:
It was the Yagudin Footwork comment that Terry just had to throw in to the commentary. I could have done without just because I am tired :eek: of hearing about Yagudin being the pioneer of footwork and didn't particularly want to hear about it while I was trying to watch Plushenko's program. Move on Terry!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! It seems like whenever Plushenko comes on, the commentators (usually Terry) bring up Yags' name somewhere in the performance. Maybe he's trying to put things into perspective for the general public who don't know the difference between the Axel and the Biellmann like my sister LOL.

dmr65

On the Ice
Phew.. I wasn't the only who caught that... :\

I recall they use to do that with B&S, they had to say something about S&P It was like.. Uh... Please, talk about who is skating now. Two diff styles and skaters Plush and Yags..

Denise...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
marguerita:

I have to correct you here - Yags is not the "pioneer" of footwork. The great Toller Cranston was and amazed the skating world with his fast footwork. And then of course there is the master Kurt Browning.

Last edited:

FrozenHeart

Rinkside
In my opinion it would have been the other way round, if Plush would have been forced to quit eligible skating. I don´t know what was actually broadcasted/said, because I´m from Germany and had no opportunity so far to lay my hands on a video copy, but it´s okay to compare today´s eligible skaters with Yags whenever commentators want to. At least until there will be competitors with a personality of their own up and coming.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ladskater said:
marguerita:

I have to correct you here - Yags is not the "pioneer" of footwork. The great Toller Cranston was and amazed the skating world with his fast footwork. And then of course there is the master Kurt Browning.

Cranston, Browning and also Scott Hamilton must be remembered when one is speaking of greats at footwork.

In these days one gets the very faulty impression as if Yagudin (Morosov) would have invented footwork. He did not even invent this showy footwork which gets cloned so much; very clearly the idea for that kind of footwork came from "Riverdance" and Candeloro´s "D´Artagnan". It works for enthusiastic but a bit ignorant masses. I doubt that the judges appreciate it quite that much?

Marjaana

Last edited:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Media

Um no, Terry Gannon is not getting paid extra to mention Yagudin's name. Every time I see posts like this it makes me wonder if people watch any other sports besides figure skating. Sports THRIVE on rivalries. And sports commentators in EVERY sport will often link two great athletes together as point-counter point to whatever the topic is at hand. That's what generates interest for the average viewer in any sport.

And it's not as if there are a lot of great challengers in the men's field at the moment. As soon as someone comes along to really push Plushenko, commentators will move on from Yagudin to the new person. But to think that those sort of comparisons will not continue in sports is not realistic. Conflict = drama. Status quo = boredom. Which do you think a media outlet will choose?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As Plushenko was doing his straight line footwook, TG said something to the effect of his (meaning Plushenko) footwork bringing back memories of Yagudin's. I don't think it was a comparison, I think it was just a spoken thought.

I agree a lot with Skate Sandee's post prior to now. Since Alexei is turning pro, I don't think many comments like that (Terry Gannon) will be heard anymore.

I for one alway enjoyed the rivalry between Alexei and Evgeni. It made the competition so much more interesting.

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, Terry Gannon doesn't know that much about figure skating. You'd think he would have learned more after being on these broadcasts for a number of years, but every once in awhile he comes up with some dumb remark that brings his ignorance to your attention.

I wouldn't pay any attention to his ramblings about Yagudin, or comparisons to other skaters. Yagudin is probably the most proficient of the skaters with whom Terry has had any direct experience, and he is the reigning Olympic champion. So of course that's who Terry uses as his point of reference.

Flora MacDonald

Rinkside
Sometimes I'm astounded at the effectiveness of some skater's PR. Yagudin's seems better than most.
Terry Gannon is sports commentator--his background isn't figure skating.
In most sports, other than than those involving judges, winning is the "only thing". If you win-your form isn't important.
Most sports people think the Olympics are the Super Bowl of figure skating. Worlds would be the equivalent of division championships.
Gannon is just using the reference point that's familiar to him-the most recent "winner". Scott Hamiliton didn't win yesterday and Kurt Browning never won an Olympic Gold. They're the sports equivilent of Joe Namath and Dan Marino. Toller Cranston might be considered Ray Guy.
If you don't know who these people are, then that's how Terry Gannon is seeing figure skating.
When someone else wins the Olympic Gold, he'll be the next reference point for sports commentators.
As far as the footwork thing goes, Yagudin WON the Olympics with that footwork. When Michael Weiss is winning we hear about the "MIke Pike", when he's not winning, it's just "shoot the duck".

Poor Terry - Such a bash! He is learning about figure skating as are many posters in GS from their own admittance. He is much better than when he started.

I do admit hearing him do a basketball game once and he was better at that. He's doing that job because that's the way the producers want it. Perhaps there are figure skating fans who do not understand the production side of the media. It is the producers, imo, who are also advising Peggy and Dick how to emphasize certain skaters. Again if one has to bash then it is ABC producers who should be bashed.

My question: What makes some fans so antagonistic about mundane things?

Dee - Btw, Alexie didn't go Pro. He's been a Pro (earning money) for years. What he did was give up his eligible competitive skating.

Joe

curious

Final Flight
Plushenko's footwork is and always has been his own. Can't say the same for Honda and Joubert,those two have become Yags clones.:D

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dee - Btw, Alexie didn't go Pro. He's been a Pro (earning money) for years. What he did was give up his eligible competitive skating.
I stand corrected Joe. Thanks for keeping me in line.:) :)

Dee

windspirit

On the Ice
All that Jazz said:
Isn't it fascinating how easy people can get bugged?
It certainly is. ;)

Oh OK, I confess; I am paying Terry Gannon $50 for every time he mentions Yagudin's name. I think I've sent him $100 for the first SC broadcast. As you can see, he's going to get rich on it. :laugh:

The fact is, Yagudin's going to be mentioned for the years to come. Not because people are getting paid to do it, but because of his achievements in the sport. I remember him being mentioned twice at the last SC broadcast; they said he had retired from amateur sport and they're going to show some of his farewell skate on Nov 16. Also, they said something about him while Plush was skating, which had to do with footwork. Btw, Yagudin hasn't invented footwork (more like reinvented), but he certainly made it much more popular and important an element that it was before. That's why it's associated with his name. As for why he's being mentioned with Plushenko; they are forever bound together in history. They were both Mishin's students, and their rivalry -- one of the biggest and most fascinating ones -- has helped take figure skating to new levels.

Why does it bother some people so much? Apart from those who are just allergic to his name, there must be a group of people who think that there's no enough room for everyone in the spotlight or something. I wish I had so much time as to worry about things like that. But then again, I know I would've have used it on something more fruitful anyway.

(I get paid, too http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/money3.gif -- there's just no way in hell I'd choose to talk about Yagudin on my own; he's too bad a skater and his achievements are too insignificant)

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I like Terry, and I think he does a good job. Seems like his job is to bring skating to the casual fan - kind of interpret the 'experts,' Dick and Peggy. No, he doesn't come from a skating background which is why he's effective, IMO. My understanding is that he was quite a basketball player in college - wasn't he part of a NCAA championship North Carolina team in the 80's? - so, yeah, he'd be a more knowledgeable bball commentator. However, Dick and Peggy have the knowledge. His purpose in this roll is different.