Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86

Thread: Retirements

  1. #1
    Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    268

    Retirements

    I thought we could start a thread where we collect who will stay and who will retire after the olys or after worlds.
    Shen &Zhao have announced their retirement, but what about Pang &Tong?
    Have Johnny or Jeremy made a decision, will Plush probably be at worlds?
    Every confirmation of a retirement or continuation will be welcome!

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    172
    Takahashi will continue to skate untill the next worlds in tokyo.after that, he might retire.

    oda said he would continue untill the next olympic, but i guess he will change his mind.

  3. #3
    Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    On the shores of the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    882
    Stephane has announced on his forum that he will not be at Worlds.

  4. #4
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,990
    I think Evan will retire as will Tanith
    and Ben who always said they would after these games. same goes for Domina and Shablin. I guess Julia Sebesyen will retire but who knows? Susanna Poykio and Carolina Koster as well. I think Miki might do worlds if she does not win here, but retire after that.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,982
    I think Kostner will stick around unless she medals at the Olympics. She's had a rough season and probably wants to end her career on a higher note, I think she's starting to gain momentum again too so I think we'll see more of her.

    As for men, will Johnny and Jeremy retire? I know Ryan Bradley said he will, and Evan I assume will. What about Contesti (love him!) I didn't realize he was 27

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    472
    Kostner won't retire. she said that she plans to continue whatever happens in vancouver (to italian media)
    Johnny I read somewhere that yes, he'll retire.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,152
    Johnny, Evan, Belgosto; old news. What about Czisny (see the Czisny leaves coach thread). She didn't compete at the Olympics but since she'll be in SOI, I guess she won't compete next season. What about Jeremy? Does Yuka signing up with SOI mean that he won't compete next season?

    What about Joubert? (my friends who were figure skating newbies and watched the Men's FS adored him!) He's 25... So I guess he could go on a few more years, but probably not until Socci.

    Verner? He's doing Worlds, I guess; he's only 23; he could go on until Socci or at least stick around for a couple more years until he finally skates clean at a World Championship...

  8. #8
    The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Posts
    1,896
    I was also wondering about Kavaguti and Sminov. She is rather old and became a Russian citizen so she could win and Olympic medal which didn't happen.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Johnny, Evan, Belgosto; old news. What about Czisny (see the Czisny leaves coach thread). She didn't compete at the Olympics but since she'll be in SOI, I guess she won't compete next season. What about Jeremy? Does Yuka signing up with SOI mean that he won't compete next season?

    What about Joubert? (my friends who were figure skating newbies and watched the Men's FS adored him!) He's 25... So I guess he could go on a few more years, but probably not until Socci.

    Verner? He's doing Worlds, I guess; he's only 23; he could go on until Socci or at least stick around for a couple more years until he finally skates clean at a World Championship...
    Joubert will continue to compete until at least 2012 Worlds in Nice, France he said, so Sochi is not out of the question for him.

    Verner said he will keep skating, which makes sense, Brezina is the only other good skater in the Czech Republic so Tomas can continue to go to international events and hopefully get his game back. As long as his and Brezina's placements at worlds this year add up to 28 or less they both get to go next year, which shouldn't be a problem. He got a really bad case of the flu this fall (likely swine b/c it was in November) and it kinda knocked out his season so I'm sure he'll want to end on a his career on a high note, maybe stick around for Sochi 2014 where his past two Olympics have been disappointments.

    Czisny joined SOI and hasn't announced a new coach, so I'm guessing she will retire from competitive skating, but I'm not sure, I have heard she might still compete.
    Last edited by silverlake22; 02-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.

  10. #10
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,809
    I'm not really a fan of Joubert, but I hope he can get himself together. His awful programs at this Olympics were heartbreaking.

  11. #11
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,809
    Btw, anyone know what Vaughn Chipeur and Shawn Sawyer from Canada will do? They're both 25, but Shawn didn't make the Olympics (boo) and Vaughn skated poorly there. I haven't heard anything about either retiring though.

  12. #12
    Custom Title LeCygne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    611
    Jeremy Abbott most likely will not retire. Being a late bloomer, I would think he will continue for another Olympics, especially after how this one turned out. In Sochi he will be as old as Plushenko, so it's not too bad. Both Plushenko and Abbott will be at Worlds in Torino for redemption. I really don't believe Plushenko will stick around for Sochi though.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    Correction: Jeremy Abbott & Evan Lysacek are the exact same age, only separated by one day, one is older than the other by 1 day. Anyhow, both are currently 24 yrs. old, so when Sochi rolls around Jeremy will be 28 yrs. old. Not the same age as King Plushenko at all.

    And, yes, King Plushenko WILL be there!

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Correction: Jeremy Abbott & Evan Lysacek are the exact same age, only separated by one day, one is older than the other by 1 day. Anyhow, both are currently 24 yrs. old, so when Sochi rolls around Jeremy will be 28 yrs. old. Not the same age as King Plushenko at all.

    And, yes, King Plushenko WILL be there!
    For guys it's different then girls. For a guy going to the Olympics at 28 is fine, guys peak generally in their mid twenties. For girls they peak earlier so 28 is a bit old. If Jeremy wants to stick around until the next Olympics I say go for it!

  15. #15
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I think Evan will retire as will Tanith
    and Ben who always said they would after these games. same goes for Domina and Shablin. I guess Julia Sebesyen will retire but who knows? Susanna Poykio and Carolina Koster as well. I think Miki might do worlds if she does not win here, but retire after that.
    Susanna apppeared on nat. tv's "sport screen" after the ladies' short as an expert, but she only commented other gilrls' skating and possibilities in free. Not a single word about her own career or the future. I think I still sensed a litlle bit of disappoitment not being in Vancouver herself.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •