Italy is making fun of carolina kostner ! =))) | Golden Skate

Italy is making fun of carolina kostner ! =)))

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
And does it have to be named after Carolina?

:sheesh:

That's a great way to appreciate what Carolina has done for Figure Skating in Italy.

jBroxton7001

Rinkside
I can't believe this. Is this really from Italian company?
She's 3 time Euro champion and 2 time world podium finisher. Show some respect, Stxxx italians. :mad:

It has to be a joke. Any company would be sued.

Too bad. I remember how Sasha went through the same thing in 2006 with photos of her falling splashed all over the place, all kinds of internet jokes, and Jay Leno et al asking her how it felt. Cruel humor! Well, at least she got the silver medal out of it.

Tanja90

On the Ice
Maybe someone finds it funny but I think it's a bit offensive...I'm Italian and I know how things go on here and the satire that lies here...If I were her and see this clip I would be quite disappointed becasuse they are joking on the most important competition in her life where she failed...but this is not the worst thing of this period...I think she is going through at one of her hardest time because just a few people still believe in her and a lot of people have forgotten how good she's done in her career and to make figure skating popular in Italy...now they are joking and bashing her but when she will stop competing and they will find themself without a possible podium or even top ten contender they will have to reconsider her, her talent and her career..

Tanja90

On the Ice
And does it have to be named after Carolina?

:sheesh:

That's a great way to appreciate what Carolina has done for Figure Skating in Italy.

don't worry...it's not that an Italian company has made this "girello" named kostner...just in this program they joke on carolina's falls...it's just a satire thing not an advertisement...no product has carolina's name...but still it's not so kind..benvenuti in italia...

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
It's always good to be able to laugh at yourself...
But stuff like this is kinda sad. You just don't beat someone down that hard when they're already beaten pretty bad. Especially if they represent your country. The more I think about it, the more I wonder why the heck they would do this. It really makes no sense.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
..benvenuti in italia...
No doubt, bring home Euros but fall at the Olys and Italian companies become callus school yard bullies. Hunh? Didn't they do the same to some past political leaders also. Don't need to see a flag to know there true colors.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't think Caro has enough to sue.
1. She's clearly not endorsing the product in the ad. =).
2. It's public event, all image and video clips are free for all, they can use it to make money just like TMZ follows celeb around all day, and use clips for monetary gain. They don't even need her permission or consent to use it.

Had they used clips from her private practice sessions, there would be some ground for Caro to sue. At least this is true in the very ligitious US, I'm sure it's even harder for frivolous lawsuits in Italy. The only party that can sue is the IOC or the Italian broadcasting channel that bought the right to the clips.

FlattFan, I'm not suggesting she can sue. I was only saying that IF it were a real ad by a real company using her name improperly, THEN she would have grounds to sue. I was arguing that no company would be so stupid as to lay themselves open to such a lawsuit, therefore the video could only be a joke. At least that's what I was trying to say.

I don't think she has any grounds to sue over being the butt of a joke. Well, I don't know anything about Italian laws and practices. But in the USA, pretty much any celebrity is going to be the butt of jokes from time to time and I've never heard of them suing anybody for making fun of them. For example, the movie Team America: World Police (by the makers of South Park) made ferocious fun of Alec Baldwin, Danny Glover, Susan Sarandon, et al. South Park itself is constantly mocking celebrities by name. I don't think the producers get in any legal trouble as a result. (Surprisingly enough!)

Bennett

Record Breaker
I read a blog by a person living in Italy that Caro has been under heavy criticism after the Olympics. Is that true?

Well, why wouldn't she be? She's had two nightmarishly bad skates at major events in the past year. It would be hard to find something positive to say at the moment other than to hope she figures out what's wrong and deals with it.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Well, it's possible that sometimes ppl just don't pay too much attention because there are a lot going on at Oly with other sports, too. I don't hear Jeremy is under heavy criticism and bashing by the public (I don't hear if he is not, either, though).

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Well, it's possible that sometimes ppl just don't pay too much attention because there are a lot going on at Oly with other sports, too. I don't hear Jeremy is under heavy criticism and bashing by the public (I don't hear if he is not, either, though).

The US has 3 strong contenders. One failed, there were still the other two.
Caro faced the kind of pressure Midori faced, all alone, with the expectation of her nation on her shoulders. Midori was a favorite. Caro was a medal favorite after her Euro win. She also said she's not afraid of the asian girls right before the olympics.

Bennett

Record Breaker
The US has 3 strong contenders. One failed, there were still the other two.
Caro faced the kind of pressure Midori faced, all alone, with the expectation of her nation on her shoulders. Midori was a favorite. Caro was a medal favorite after her Euro win. She also said she's not afraid of the asian girls right before the olympics.
But ppl should be aware that Caro has been inconsistent esp this season and should not hold too high expectations.

pista04

On the Ice
Hmm

I don't hear Jeremy is under heavy criticism and bashing by the public

But, we've got to remember that Figure Skating is huge in the USA for like, 3 months every 4 years. Other than the olympics, a large amount of Americans don't care about or know anything about figure skating, except for the rare occurences of a phenom like Kwan who transcends the sport. I am not sure how it is in Italy, but I am thinking that, along with Lysacek's performance, is why Jeremy didn't recieve much criticism.

mishieru07

On the Ice
But ppl should be aware that Caro has been inconsistent esp this season and should not hold too high expectations.

The figure skating fans like us would know her problem of inconsistency. It's been a particularly bad season though. I doubt many of us had high hopes for her.

The casual viewer wouldn't know. Imagine if the press has been hyping her up to be a potential medal contender (and Carolina can definitely fight for a podium spot if she's on). All the audience sees is a girl who disappoints twice.

Abbott was a disappointment for me; I was hoping he'd medal, maybe even win. He did have a respectable LP though. That, along with Lysacek winning and Johnny turning in 2 solid performances deflected attention from Jeremy I think.

That said, do they really have to rub salt in the wound?

Last edited: