Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skate Canada Gala.....

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Skate Canada Gala.....

I just watched my tape of the Skate Canada Gala. The skating was lovely. Yag's brought down the house at the end with his send off. It was a real treat and very emotional for him and us. Canada had a real "love affair" with Yags! He is Canada's adopted son. He will be missed.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Lad, as a fan of Alexei, yes, it was emotional. I think what was very difficult for Alexei is that he had to quit because of the hip and not because he wanted to. I think he also had to face some limitations at a very young age. Being an older person, I have to face my limitations and it is very hard for me. I really believe that that is why he was so emotional. I think as a fan, one of the greatest moments for me was to watch him skate that program. It was filled with so much passion. I was just in awe.

Thanks Lad, for your nice comments about Alexei and what an honor he paid to his Canadian fans.

Dee

Dee4707:

Yes, one could see the passion he feels for skating in his eyes and the emotions he was going through.

I know exactly how he feels. I was a figure skater for many years and now am just an "arm chair" expert and occasional drop in skater. It's very hard to hang up ones skates. I still miss it. It's even harder for the skaters like Alexei.

I was glad to hear that he will still be doing some skating. In fact, I will be seeing him here in Vancouver on December 3 at the World Team Figure Skating challenge! I can't wait!

As Rod Black said, Alexei was one of the few Russian Skaters who connected with the Canadian Audience. There is just something special about him.

Thanks for your reply!

Custom Title
    I think Yags secretive appearance at SC was NOT proper. He has no class by doing things like that. He was seating very close to us and he didn't clap for Zgenya and he didn't say even one good word about him on TV. Compare what Evgeni said about him. What a person he is?
    I wish he mature and move on and his fans has to do the same
    Still can't belive CTV used 30 min on him and support him on this

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Go bestskate8! You tell THEM!!!!

Skate Canada Gala.....

bestskate8:

You sound rather bitter! It is a well known fact in the skating world that Yags and Plushenko are not close friends. They were rivals on the ice and off. Yags does not hide his feelings. Plushenko is a "different cup of tea." I doubt he will be embraced as warmly here as Yags was. I am sure Plushenko has his share of Canadian fans, but I think Yags earned a special spot with Canadian fans and with Skate Canada. That is why they gave him the send off. I thought it was great. Stop being bitter and enjoy the moment.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I think Yags secretive appearance at SC was NOT proper. He has no class by doing things like that.
    And you have class by responding to a perfectly nice thread about Alexei?
    He was seating very close to us and he didn't clap for Zgenya
    My goodness, how did you know that if you were watching Evgeni's program. Why would you even care??? I had binoculars and was watching Alexei and I saw him clap for him............and if he didn't, again, why would you care????

Dee

Custom Title
    Yes,is a well known fact that plushy and yags aren't close,but is it really because they are rivals on ice? I have my doubts. Just like I have never believed they hate each other comments from yags. We will never known why these two outstanding skaters can't be close,but I have a good idea:D

Custom Title
    forgot about the clapping thing. maybe yags didn't want people to see he was actually clapping for plushy,since almost everyone believe he actually hates plushy. maybe he wants people in north america to believe that,just a thought.:D

Originally posted by bestskate8
    I think Yags secretive appearance at SC was NOT proper. He has no class by doing things like that. He was seating very close to us and he didn't clap for Zgenya and he didn't say even one good word about him on TV. Compare what Evgeni said about him. What a person he is?
    I wish he mature and move on and his fans has to do the same
    Still can't belive CTV used 30 min on him and support him on this
    Yeah, Bestskate8, tell us about class, but most of all tell us about maturity. That you seem to have in abundance. The best thing is you really think like this, which makes it even funnier.

Lad, thanks for your post. From what I (don't we all? ) know, Yags really loves to skate in Canada. If I were Canadian I'd be honored he chose my country for his farewell. I'm hoping they'll show at least the "Memorial" from there here in the States (I know they're planning to show some of the "ceremony", but I guess it won't be much). I love that program already, and I think it's perfect for a time like this. Btw, he'll be also in Canadian Stars on Ice this year, so you'll see him plenty. Just don't wear him down! I've seen some SOI rehearsals and I think he's taking the transition well (and may I just seize the opportunity and say what immense a pleasure it always is to watch B&S skate ). There's going to be some great skating in the future from him, I can feel it.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by windspirit
    I'm hoping they'll show at least the "Memorial" from there here in the States (I know they're planning to show some of the "ceremony", but I guess it won't be much).
    There were links to four videoclips on FSU (Cup of China thread?) of what he spoke and both his skating programmes after the normal gala.

Marjaana

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Just saw some screenstills at least; it was heartwrenching. :(

Has somebody taped the entire ceremony? Since my computer is a matter of nostalgica I'm still looking for an old fashioned tape in PAL-format.

Anke

Let me get this straight. Alexei is forced to retire from a sport that he loves and has given much to due to health issues. Health issues that at least were made worse by his contributions to the sport. He is kind enough to give a farewell skate, and probably experienced pain while doing it. Plush fans are unhappy with this? That your favorite is still physically able to skate and compete while Alexei isn't is not enough for you? That you would begrudge Alexi this is not the thought process of a kind human being. Plush has more competitions left while Alexei doesn't. Are you so fanatic that you can't appreciate that?

Piel

Originally posted by Jaana
    There were links to four videoclips on FSU (Cup of China thread?) of what he spoke and both his skating programmes after the normal gala.
    Thanks for the info, but alas, those clips are no more. If someone has them/knows where to get them (beside Soulseek -- I can't use it)/etc., please let me know. I'm still hoping they're going to show most of it on tv, but I'd love to have those clips in my computer, too.

Btw, Anke, if your VCR can read (as most VCRs in Europe do, even my old one did, years ago) casettes in NTSC, I could make you a copy of whatever they show of Yags in the coming months on American tv.
    Last edited by windspirit; 11-14-2003 at 03:34 PM.

Medalist
    If someone has them
    i have them. how can we do it?
    Alina

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast