Skate Canada Gala..... | Golden Skate

Skate Canada Gala.....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I just watched my tape of the Skate Canada Gala. The skating was lovely. Yag's brought down the house at the end with his send off. It was a real treat and very emotional for him and us. Canada had a real "love affair" with Yags! He is Canada's adopted son. He will be missed.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lad, as a fan of Alexei, yes, it was emotional. I think what was very difficult for Alexei is that he had to quit because of the hip and not because he wanted to. I think he also had to face some limitations at a very young age. Being an older person, I have to face my limitations and it is very hard for me. I really believe that that is why he was so emotional. I think as a fan, one of the greatest moments for me was to watch him skate that program. It was filled with so much passion. I was just in awe.

Thanks Lad, for your nice comments about Alexei and what an honor he paid to his Canadian fans.

Dee

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Dee4707:

Yes, one could see the passion he feels for skating in his eyes and the emotions he was going through.

I know exactly how he feels. I was a figure skater for many years and now am just an "arm chair" expert and occasional drop in skater. It's very hard to hang up ones skates. I still miss it. It's even harder for the skaters like Alexei.

I was glad to hear that he will still be doing some skating. In fact, I will be seeing him here in Vancouver on December 3 at the World Team Figure Skating challenge! I can't wait!

As Rod Black said, Alexei was one of the few Russian Skaters who connected with the Canadian Audience. There is just something special about him.

Thanks for your reply!

bestskate8

On the Ice
I think Yags secretive appearance at SC was NOT proper. He has no class by doing things like that. He was seating very close to us and he didn't clap for Zgenya and he didn't say even one good word about him on TV. Compare what Evgeni said about him. What a person he is?
I wish he mature and move on and his fans has to do the same;)
Still can't belive CTV used 30 min on him and support him on this:rolleye:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
bestskate8:

You sound rather bitter! It is a well known fact in the skating world that Yags and Plushenko are not close friends. They were rivals on the ice and off. Yags does not hide his feelings. Plushenko is a "different cup of tea." I doubt he will be embraced as warmly here as Yags was. I am sure Plushenko has his share of Canadian fans, but I think Yags earned a special spot with Canadian fans and with Skate Canada. That is why they gave him the send off. I thought it was great. Stop being bitter and enjoy the moment.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Yags secretive appearance at SC was NOT proper. He has no class by doing things like that.
And you have class by responding to a perfectly nice thread about Alexei?
He was seating very close to us and he didn't clap for Zgenya
My goodness, how did you know that if you were watching Evgeni's program. Why would you even care??? I had binoculars and was watching Alexei and I saw him clap for him............and if he didn't, again, why would you care????

Dee

curious

Final Flight
Yes,is a well known fact that plushy and yags aren't close,but is it really because they are rivals on ice? I have my doubts. Just like I have never believed they hate each other comments from yags. We will never known why these two outstanding skaters can't be close,but I have a good idea:D

curious

Final Flight
forgot about the clapping thing. maybe yags didn't want people to see he was actually clapping for plushy,since almost everyone believe he actually hates plushy. maybe he wants people in north america to believe that,just a thought.:D

windspirit

On the Ice
bestskate8 said:
I think Yags secretive appearance at SC was NOT proper. He has no class by doing things like that. He was seating very close to us and he didn't clap for Zgenya and he didn't say even one good word about him on TV. Compare what Evgeni said about him. What a person he is?
I wish he mature and move on and his fans has to do the same;)
Still can't belive CTV used 30 min on him and support him on this:rolleye:
Yeah, Bestskate8, tell us about class, but most of all tell us about maturity. That you seem to have in abundance. http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/rotfl.gif The best thing is you really think like this, which makes it even funnier.

Lad, thanks for your post. From what I (don't we all? :) ) know, Yags really loves to skate in Canada. If I were Canadian I'd be honored he chose my country for his farewell. I'm hoping they'll show at least the "Memorial" from there here in the States (I know they're planning to show some of the "ceremony", but I guess it won't be much). I love that program already, and I think it's perfect for a time like this. Btw, he'll be also in Canadian Stars on Ice this year, so you'll see him plenty. Just don't wear him down! ;) I've seen some SOI rehearsals and I think he's taking the transition well (and may I just seize the opportunity and say what immense a pleasure it always is to watch B&S skate :love: ). There's going to be some great skating in the future from him, I can feel it.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
windspirit said:
I'm hoping they'll show at least the "Memorial" from there here in the States (I know they're planning to show some of the "ceremony", but I guess it won't be much).

There were links to four videoclips on FSU (Cup of China thread?) of what he spoke and both his skating programmes after the normal gala.

Marjaana

Germanice

On the Ice
Just saw some screenstills at least; it was heartwrenching. :(

Has somebody taped the entire ceremony? Since my computer is a matter of nostalgica I'm still looking for an old fashioned tape in PAL-format.

Anke

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Let me get this straight. Alexei is forced to retire from a sport that he loves and has given much to due to health issues. Health issues that at least were made worse by his contributions to the sport. He is kind enough to give a farewell skate, and probably experienced pain while doing it. Plush fans are unhappy with this? That your favorite is still physically able to skate and compete while Alexei isn't is not enough for you? That you would begrudge Alexi this is not the thought process of a kind human being. Plush has more competitions left while Alexei doesn't. Are you so fanatic that you can't appreciate that?

Piel

windspirit

On the Ice
Jaana said:
There were links to four videoclips on FSU (Cup of China thread?) of what he spoke and both his skating programmes after the normal gala.
Thanks for the info, but alas, those clips are no more. http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/cry4.gif If someone has them/knows where to get them (beside Soulseek -- I can't use it)/etc., please let me know. I'm still hoping they're going to show most of it on tv, but I'd love to have those clips in my computer, too.

Btw, Anke, if your VCR can read (as most VCRs in Europe do, even my old one did, years ago) casettes in NTSC, I could make you a copy of whatever they show of Yags in the coming months on American tv.

Last edited:
Curious, now I'm curious. Are you saying that maybe Yagudin and Plushenko just pretended to dislike each other in order to build up a rivalry and make audiences more interested in their competitions?

Mathman

curious

Final Flight
They certainly have taken full advantage of their rivalry especially Yags. I honestly think their rivalry is more personal than professional.:D

sk8m8

Final Flight
Rumours and Fluff

From what I have been able to accertain over the years of articles, quotes, fluff pieces and such the basic story goes like this. Both men were coached by Mishin in Russian. Yags was first and was considered a prodigy. He excelled and even won his first Worlds at 18, I believe. As Plushy progressed, naturally the time that the coach needed to be split. There was a rivalry, it was very hard to take, because unlike some of the other great skating rivalries, the two trained on the same ice and Yags felt like that he needed to go elsewhere to a coach who could concentrate on him. Plushy has been attributed as saying that Yags took the easy way out, that if he were a true competitor he would tough it out in Russia. From there, the rest is history with the cold/snide remarks from one skater to the other. I am sure that though neither may "like" each other, they MUST respect each other for what their skating has meant to the other in terms of pushing them both to the limit.

As for who is right and who is wrong, I think the answer may be both. It takes a lot of chutzpah and beleif in ones abilities to be world champion, It doesn't happen to those who don't believe that THEY are the very best at what they do.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Germanice:

I have the whole gala plus Yag's send-off on tape. It was a very moving and nicely done tribute. Something similar to Elvis's.

I really don't think any disrespect was directed to Plushenko. He was the "golden boy" of Skate Canada and got the spoltlight in the show. I am sure Plushenko respected Yag's recognition by Skate Canada. Plushenko even commented that he thinks Jeff Buttle is one of the most talented skaters he has seen. So even if the rivalry between skaters is somewhat played up at times they do respect one another. It's often the rivalry that pushes skaters to compete with one another. It keeps them "on their toes" so to speak. Yags earned his spot by hard work and I am sure Plushenko will too.

ballerinagrl

Rinkside
Ladskater,

Thanks so much for sharing about Alexei giving that farewell performance in the gala. I so wish Eurosport would screen, if not the GP series, then at least a historical 3 minutes like that :(
Just thinking of the anguish he must have put into that performance sends chills down my spine. I know it would have destroyed me - were ballet a competitive sport - to have my career cut off in it's prime due to injury. I know he will continue to skate, to perform, but from all I have read about Alexei, it seems that for him competing at the elite level was his greatest love. I guess it probably was far from fun for him to sit in the audience at Skate Canada, to somehow find it in himself to accept that is where he will be from now on. I would think it took great maturity for him to be there, and now he will need to build that maturity to deal with the blow nature has handed him.

Thanks again Ladskater.

Best, Lilia