Philip Hersh Reports Rochette Able to Skate in Thin Ice | Golden Skate

Philip Hersh Reports Rochette Able to Skate in Thin Ice

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Wunderbar!!!!!!:biggrin: C'est magnifique!!!! Hot diggety-dog!!!!!

Yes, I am seriously pleased :laugh:

Go for it, Joannie! :love:

ETA: I congratulate the ISU on a humane decision. Way to go! :)

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I'd even buy a glass of grappa for Cinquanta. A bit of humanity, at last. However, Hersh doesn't seem to be able to resist patting himself on the back.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Without public pressure they would never have backed down. The ISU leaders only respond with negative public relations. Glad for Joannie, but make no mistake, they haven't learned a damn thing from their exercise in stupidity!

fairly4

Medalist
so they broke the rules again--for certain skaters they will never learn. and some fans wont either. makes it bad. why--now all fan base will be pushing for negativie publicity to get their favorite skater /team into things they shouldn't have got in the first place without breaking rules.

i just wished she would have skated in worlds instead.

let chaos reign in figure skating.

John King

Final Flight
so they broke the rules again--for certain skaters they will never learn. and some fans wont either. makes it bad. why--now all fan base will be pushing for negativie publicity to get their favorite skater /team into things they shouldn't have got in the first place without breaking rules.

i just wished she would have skated in worlds instead.

let chaos reign in figure skating.

She herself cites the lack of training and preparations for the Worlds, given the past few weeks. Why go there only to place 9th or so?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
There's no need to assume that this episode will open the door to all sorts of future rule breaking..

When Joannie agreed to the Thin Ice appearance, she was planning to go to Worlds ,not realizing how the next couple of weeks would affect her. At this point, she's in no conflict with the rules , since the dates, while close together, do not overlap.

I don't think it was ever Joannie's intention to bend or break any rules.

It's only when she realizes that she's in no condition to compete properly in what is ,in most years , the sport's biggest competition...and withdraws , that the ISU can then perceive the situation as choosing to do the unsanctioned event over Worlds . Even though a 3 min. exhibition performance is not equal to fighting for a place on the podium in Turin , the proximity of the dates probably caused the ISU to take exception.

I hope no skater finds themselves in this exact circumstance again, but other situations will inevitably arise and we just have to hope that when they do they can be resolved fairly.

It seems to me that all the Rules are subject to rash decisions.

But praise to be we got Joannie in Thin Ice. Will she be in the show on Wednesday?