Pairs, Dance Canada has no worries... | Golden Skate

Pairs, Dance Canada has no worries...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
After viewing the Skate Canada Gala I was very relieved to see how well our pair teams and dance teams are developing. They have a bright future. I really enjoyed ice dancers Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon. They really are very talented. Pairs Anabelle Langlois and Patrice Archetto look very confident and polished. Elizabeth Putnam of Toronto and Sean Wirtz are a lovely team.

I look forward to seeing all the skaters at the Canadians. Should be great.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Bella & Patch are looking very strong and confident this year and I LOVE it. I can't wait to see how much more they develop their programs and how well they perform those programs as the year progresses!! Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe are also a dance team with lots of potential and sweethearts to boot. I met them in Windsor back in September and they were very sweet and also wonderful skaters. Best of luck to all the Canadian skaters this year! :love: :D :)

rain

Record Breaker
pairs and dance

I agree with you. I am very excited to watch the pairs competition at the upcoming nationals this year - we have some really great-looking pairs. And as a long-time fan of D/L in dance I think they look great this season and we may, with the new judging system, actually get to see them move up in the world order. I'd still like to see some new good young teams coming up behind them..... I'll be watching nationals like a hawk.

I also think the Mens event is going to be must-see. I adore Buttle and Sandhu and can't wait to see if we have some newcomers ready to burst onto the scene.

Now, in ladies.... I think Canada needs to take a close look at the American and Japanese programs for ladies skaters as these nations are clearly turning out whole bevies of the best in the world, while the Canadian girls look weak time and time again and just never seem to pass muster, quite frankly.

On a side note I think the Americans could take a peak over at our pairs program and learn a thing or two that might help them - they are lackluster in this discipline.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Canadian Pairs/Ice Dance

Rain,

I absolutely agree with your side note regarding American pairs. Lackluster doesn't nearly describe our National Champions let alone the rest of the field.

We do, however, have some hope with ice dance.

Dizzy

Antilles

Medalist
I have always loved D&L, and I'm glad they will be out of Shae and Vic's shadow this year. I hope they can move up in the world, but the CoP won't be used at Worlds.

L&A are great too. I'd like to see them show a little more versatility in their long programs, but I do love both of their program choices this year.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
rain:

I too look forward to seeing the men's competition. I think it will be a real fight between Jeff B. and Emanuel S. Should be some great skating! They are both very artistic. Jeff is my favorite! I also like Sean Sawyer.

Now about our ladies...I agree with your comments. It's so strange why we have never rebuilt our Ladies discipline with such great past World champions as Karen Magnussen, Petra Burka and Barbara Ann Scott, as well as Elizabeth Manley who wowed us by winning the silver at the 88 Calgary Olympics. It's not that our ladies lack inspiration!

I think Nicole Watt was quite promissing, but her health problems stood in her way. What a shame. She at least caught the attention of the judges and the media. That's what we need - someone with some sparkle!

I do respect Jennifer Robinson and appreciate her contributions to Canadian skating. It sure would be great though to have another great champion like Karen Magnussen.

Thanks for your reply.