Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko Has Withdrawn from Worlds

Custom Title

News Plushenko Has Withdrawn from Worlds

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...01545750_x.htm

According to this article, Yevgeny Plushenko has withdrawn from Worlds, and his replacement will be Sergey Voronov. The cause given is fatigue and undisclosed injury.

Custom Title
    Obviously hope he gets better from the mystery problem.

Terrible for Russia likely no one in the top 10 and loss of two spots for 2011.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Alexei Mishin: "Plushenko is experiencing pain in the performance of difficult jumps - a triple Axel and a quadruple toe loop"

Yevgeny Plushenko's coach Alexei Mishin has confirmed that the rejection of speech figure skating at the World Cup due to medical contraindications.

"Zhenya still wanted to speak, and I had the mood for a successful performance in Turin. But doctors ordered Eugene skating with extremely high loads. He feels pain in the performance of difficult jumps - a triple Axel and a quadruple toe loop. These jumps doctors recommended be deleted from skating. Train him, however, allowed. But classes will be held in lightweight mode.

Eugene did an MRI scan. We specifically do not pass this analysis to Vancouver to Eugene realized his dream - was involved in his third Olympics. But now, when the intensity of the struggle was asleep, had to go into this procedure. Threads were no more, that the world championship will have to miss, it became clear immediately ", - quotes Mishina Infox.ru.
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s.../69685276.html

Ah well, I m praying for Dai now , with plush, weir and lamby out and Takahiko to medal

Custom Title
    An inspired Voronov can make it to the top 10. But I wonder if he has been training or has the right motivation after the humilliating loss of his olympic spot. Anyways, both Sergei and Borodulin can easily finish between the 11 and
    16th range and still retain two spots with the right combo of placements (a 14th-15th will mean 29 points and no second spot).

As for Evgeni. Worlds was never on his comeback plans, Gold at Vancouver was definetly the only goal. I'm actually surprised it took this long to announce his withdrawal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    ....Terrible for Russia likely no one in the top 10 and loss of two spots for 2011.
    Voronov has been inconsistent in the past, but I believe in Borodulin. He might pull off a minor miracle.

Custom Title
    Can Borodulin go up four spots from 13 to 9 maybe with the witdrawls.

I was reading Alena Leonova's blog and she skated at the same place Voronov did and after Euros he stopped going so I don't know what kind of shape he is in. Probably not competitive shape.

Can Borodulin go up four spots from 13 to 9 maybe with the witdrawls.
    28 points for them in all is enough I think for two spots in 2011. I always forget about the qualification rules

I was reading Alena Leonova's blog and she skated at the same place Voronov did and after Euros he stopped going so I don't know what kind of shape he is in. Probably not competitive shape.
    Sad if that is so, but isn't an optimist skater always training hard if he/she is a substitute. Especially now with so many plausible withdrawals. Go Voronov

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I thought Plush would surely come to Worlds because he was a lock to win it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I thought Plush would surely come to Worlds because he was a lock to win it.
    No, he wasn't. That's why he withdrew. He didn't want to finish anywhere else but first.

Sorry to hear his health is preventing him from going to Worlds.

It's so sad to see another withdrawal.

Darn. I was looking forward to seeing Evgeni. He is by far the most consistent skater of the bunch.

This puts Daisuke Takahashi in the unenviable spot as the most probable skater to win Worlds 2010. This could make a skater very nervous. Can Dai handle it?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Well my biggest shock was Worlds 2005 withdrawal. This one did nothing much for me, I wasn't really expecting him to skate here until this Monday when they said it officially. Then i thought, oh he will go at the end. I guess he was serious about it cause on Stephane's journal and the reports they say he was kept doing quads and triples in Art on ice tour.

But if this knee had a mouth it would swear at him, I hope it is nothing serious. I dont want to see Plush not be able to walk when he is 40, he has to let it go and skate in shows with more freedom.
    I will be cheering for Takahashi for the gold now!

I don't believe Plushenko has an injury. He's just afraid someone without a quad will beat him again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Darn. I was looking forward to seeing Evgeni. He is by far the most consistent skater of the bunch.

This puts Daisuke Takahashi in the unenviable spot as the most probable skater to win Worlds 2010. This could make a skater very nervous. Can Dai handle it?
    I'm extremely nervous for him. Given his talents and resume, he would be the most deserving champion among the contestants, but I doubt he will put two clean programs. If he falters, and Nobu takes it all, I'll be terribly upset.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast