Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko Has Withdrawn from Worlds

Custom Title
    Is anyone really surprised that Plushie withdrew? The timing is perfect -- just after other major players like Johnny and Evan have announced they will not be going to World's. I agree with a previous poster --- with all the posturing that the Russians and Plushie have done with regards to the quad and his supremacy on ice.......everyone will be looking at his program construction and PCS value in nano detail! The new system is no longer 'new' and it is time that all ISU members realize they have to either play the game by CoP or get out. Change is here and maximizing points is the new way to win.

BTW Bet this gives Patrick a big boost.......and a podium position! Then he can retire!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...01545750_x.htm

According to this article, Yevgeny Plushenko has withdrawn from Worlds, and his replacement will be Sergey Voronov. The cause given is fatigue and undisclosed injury.
    My goodness. This sounds like the Worlds 2010 will truly be the beginning of new era in Men's skating.

^^^^^
    Is he the last of the Soviet skaters?

Custom Title
    He was born in 1987. Does that mean he is soviet? He would have been 4 when it collapsed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotcoach View Post
    Is anyone really surprised that Plushie withdrew? The timing is perfect -- just after other major players like Johnny and Evan have announced they will not be going to World's. I agree with a previous poster --- with all the posturing that the Russians and Plushie have done with regards to the quad and his supremacy on ice.......everyone will be looking at his program construction and PCS value in nano detail! The new system is no longer 'new' and it is time that all ISU members realize they have to either play the game by CoP or get out. Change is here and maximizing points is the new way to win.

BTW Bet this gives Patrick a big boost.......and a podium position! Then he can retire!
    I would rather see a quad than a spread eagle into a triple flip.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Spread eagle into triple has become boring, but ina bauer into a triple in men I like it, Hanyu did a great one in Juniors

Custom Title
    I think, the big PR ballon just has collapsed.
    As long as he cannot have inflated points, he cannot win. Judges has send him a clear sign, he will get what he deserves.
    He is a clever man, and "read" this message.
    The atmosphere of the competition will be much better without him.
    His poor sportmanship in Vancouver will be remembered....
    Last edited by bigdeal; 03-20-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    When Dai was number one at the Grand Prix Final and then plunged to five was that nerves or old injury?
    I thought it was nerves. He came out strong in 4CC to place OTP at Worlds in 2008. I thought that had to do with nerves as well (the pressure to deliver again). No one will ever know for sure, but I have a feeling Dai won't cope well with being the favorite to win. He's rarely been in that position before (... but of course, I'm hoping I'm proven wrong).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    I thought it was nerves. He came out strong in 4CC to place OTP at Worlds in 2008. I thought that had to do with nerves as well (the pressure to deliver again). No one will ever know for sure, but I have a feeling Dai won't cope well with being the favorite to win. He's rarely been in that position before (... but of course, I'm hoping I'm proven wrong).
    The 4cc/worlds chronology is something that I was missing. Thanks for that because now there is a fuller picture for me. It does seem like a nerves thing so I hope Dai delievers but since Joubert is unsteady and the air has seemingly gone out of the Oda balloon it could be Chan.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Dài has improved with each event his season. At the GP and GPF he was not trained well enough yet after recouperating from his surgery. He skated his best of the season in Vanouver, and was perfect if had not gone for the quad. If he chooses to play to safe like Evan in Torino, but he could win easily. But if he keeps improving at his usual rate he will skate clean with the quad. I hope he can pull it off either way. His both of his programs are favs of mine this season and what a great comeback story.

Of course I really want to see Abbott win the whole thing but i follow him on Twitter and sadly I don't see that happening.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Of course I really want to see Abbott win the whole thing but i follow him on Twitter and sadly I don't see that happening.
    Yes, he puts too much attention elsewhere, such as connecting with his fans.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Wow. This comes as a shock. I thought he would come as a consolation prize for the Olympics.
    As for Takahashi, he's definitely the favorite now, but when all the top contenders but one are goners, the one left generally feels pressure and doesn't do well. Think of Sasha Cohen in 2006.
    The Worlds in an Olympic year are always low key, but it gives the lesser known skaters a chance to come out. I'm personally hoping one of the Americans pulls through!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Yes, he puts too much attention elsewhere, such as connecting with his fans.
    Yeah...
    I really hope he does well but I have my doubts about him and Joubert. It really seems that their minds are not in the right place to become world champion, but hopefully I'm wrong or one/both of them will do enough to hang on to a silver or bronze.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    My goodness. This sounds like the Worlds 2010 will truly be the beginning of new era in Men's skating.

Don't be so sure. If your podium will be Joubert, Takahashi and Chan, it will not look such a new era. All have medaled before.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    BS. It is because the Russian FS federation wants to p"ss off ISU. Now without Plush nobody will jump quad. We will see the World championship of 25 year old fashion. And quads you can watch on youtube only. Have fun.
    lol The Russian Fed. should just start their own sport of "FIGURE JUMPING." Then they should have a world champion that just lands quads and doesn't have to do any other actual skating skills well. They would have to also make the programs 3 minutes long since there won't be any jumping if it goes beyond that point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast