Plushenko Has Withdrawn from Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko Has Withdrawn from Worlds

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Wow. This comes as a shock. I thought he would come as a consolation prize for the Olympics.
As for Takahashi, he's definitely the favorite now, but when all the top contenders but one are goners, the one left generally feels pressure and doesn't do well. Think of Sasha Cohen in 2006.
The Worlds in an Olympic year are always low key, but it gives the lesser known skaters a chance to come out. I'm personally hoping one of the Americans pulls through!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes, he puts too much attention elsewhere, such as connecting with his fans.:scowl:

Yeah...
I really hope he does well but I have my doubts about him and Joubert. It really seems that their minds are not in the right place to become world champion, but hopefully I'm wrong or one/both of them will do enough to hang on to a silver or bronze.

herios

Medalist
My goodness. This sounds like the Worlds 2010 will truly be the beginning of new era in Men's skating.

Don't be so sure. If your podium will be Joubert, Takahashi and Chan, it will not look such a new era. All have medaled before.

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
BS. It is because the Russian FS federation wants to p"ss off ISU. Now without Plush nobody will jump quad. We will see the World championship of 25 year old fashion. And quads you can watch on youtube only. Have fun.

lol The Russian Fed. should just start their own sport of "FIGURE JUMPING." Then they should have a world champion that just lands quads and doesn't have to do any other actual skating skills well. They would have to also make the programs 3 minutes long since there won't be any jumping if it goes beyond that point.

Willywu

Rinkside
lol The Russian Fed. should just start their own sport of "FIGURE JUMPING." Then they should have a world champion that just lands quads and doesn't have to do any other actual skating skills well. They would have to also make the programs 3 minutes long since there won't be any jumping if it goes beyond that point.

Wouldn't mind watching that. >.>

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Or ISU can name men's single FS as men's girlish ice dancing. Would be fun to watch lol.

Smuusik

Rinkside
I think, the big PR ballon just has collapsed.
His poor sportmanship in Vancouver will be remembered....

As will the frenzy and "trash-talk weeks" which followed the event.

:scowl:
The atmosphere of online forums would be better without unnecessary self-assertive biased opinions.

As for the Worlds...
His withdrawal came as a bit of a bad shock of course, but since I am amazed how he is still able to skate and jump the way he does with a knee that seems to be pretty much done with, I think there is nothing to argue about with what the doctors say.

In a way I am still happy.
;)
I look forward to seeing Brezina, Amodio, Fernandez and Schultheiss doing their best. Let them steal the limelight, please :clap:

There are so many unbelievably entertaining and talented young skaters there.
:thumbsup:

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
Or ISU can name men's single FS as men's girlish ice dancing. Would be fun to watch lol.

You mean like posing, grinding your hips, blowing kisses and not doing any jumps or difficulty the last minute plus of the program? Thats really manly! lol ...and what should we call him if he can't even do "girlish ice dancing?" lol

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
Wouldn't mind watching that. >.>

That would be amazing! I'd love to watch that as well. But I don't think Plushenko would win that either. Out side of the quad triple and sometimes the 3 axel, his other jumps are so so to ok. Have you seen Nobu's 4 3 3?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That would be amazing! I'd love to watch that as well. But I don't think Plushenko would win that either. Out side of the quad triple and sometimes the 3 axel, his other jumps are so so to ok. Have you seen Nobu's 4 3 3?

YES it's gorgeous :love:. Actually, now that I think of it, maybe Mao getting a quad is actually feasible, considering she's the same size as Nobu and he can do one

gmyers

Record Breaker
I wonder why Mao can do a triple axel but doesn't do a quad toe loop. I mean isn't that jump the easiest? It's why most attach it to hard jumps right? to get the combination score out of it? Maybe she just can't get the right hight going backward? She can get the height on the axel because she is going forward but not backwards? There has to be interview where this is disussed right?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well the qua is four revilutions where the triple Axel is 3 1/2. Also the toe loop is not Mao's strongest trieple, neither is her salchow. She has trained the quad loop, but as that vaults off the right back edge with no toep k asisst or momentum lime the salchow, I have to imagine landing one would be close to impossible for most men. Except maybe Lambiel.

Enero

On the Ice
Aw this is too bad. I was hoping to see Plushy "defend" his title. Oh well, perhaps if his knees hold up he can give it a go next year.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I totally agree with you!!

I agree, Abbott beat Lysacek in the FS at nationals, and Lysacek is the Olympic Champion. He definitely has upset medal potential if he skates like he did in the FS at nationals and keeps it together in the SP.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
You mean like posing, grinding your hips, blowing kisses and not doing any jumps or difficulty the last minute plus of the program? Thats really manly! lol ...and what should we call him if he can't even do "girlish ice dancing?" lol

Oh yeah, it is much better than no kisses, no hips and no quad, just gayish sliding around with junior level jumps.