Plushenko Has Withdrawn from Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko Has Withdrawn from Worlds

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Wow. The Worlds roster has been a roller coster. I assumed Evegeni would not go to worlds after Vanvouver, an was very surprised . I assumed he was only doing it for an easy win. I wonder what exactly his injury is and question how Evegeni can think he can continue until Sochi considering his poor physical health.

Now the gold is literally wide open. I wonder if Evan and Johnny are rueing thier decisions to skip worlds. Th Mens event just got VERY interesting.

MICHAL BREZINA will win, then the quadless wonder will be envied by monster quad Verner who will come back with a vengeance next season and win worlds ( ala Miki Ando. She was quad girl and bombed in Torino, her teammate won with lesser technical elements, and then the next year she came back and won worlds.)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Now the gold is literally wide open. I wonder if Evan and Johnny are rueing thier decisions to skip worlds. Th Mens event just got VERY interesting.

One would think Weir might be second guessing himself now. His Intl resume is very thin and he could have won a medal.

Evan already has the biggest prize and probably doesn't mind giving one of the other guys a chance.

It is ashame that so many of the quad jumpers seem to destroy their bodies.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I wonder what exactly his injury is

I dont know if anyone has read the report I posted in this thread yesterday(and they are a gazillion articles since that like this, I just posted one), but he didnt injure himself, like now. It is the same puzzle knee he had before, they didn tell him before Vancouver not to upset him, they tell him now. He didnt stay home after Vancouver to rest, he went touring, I guess the knee got upset and gave him a strong signal now.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
No, he wasn't. That's why he withdrew. He didn't want to finish anywhere else but first.

BS. It is because the Russian FS federation wants to p"ss off ISU. Now without Plush nobody will jump quad. We will see the World championship of 25 year old fashion. And quads you can watch on youtube only. Have fun.

janetfan

Match Penalty
BS. It is because the Russian FS federation wants to p"ss off ISU. Now without Plush nobody will jump quad. We will see the World championship of 25 year old fashion. And quads you can watch on youtube only. Have fun.

Or we can watch Ryan Bradley go for three quads - ooops .... that's one more then Plushy was trying. ;)

I guess skating needs Ryan - broken foot and all - to move the sport forward since nobody at the Olympics was willing to attempt two quads in their LP.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kozuka landed a quad in Vancouver, and Takahashi attempted one. If these two want to be on the podium, they will attempt quads again. Joubert and Bradley are both sure to include quads in their programs.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Let's not discount either Abbott or Chan as contenders for gold at Worlds. Abbott has a quad too.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Is anyone really surprised that Plushie withdrew? The timing is perfect -- just after other major players like Johnny and Evan have announced they will not be going to World's. I agree with a previous poster --- with all the posturing that the Russians and Plushie have done with regards to the quad and his supremacy on ice.......everyone will be looking at his program construction and PCS value in nano detail! The new system is no longer 'new' and it is time that all ISU members realize they have to either play the game by CoP or get out. Change is here and maximizing points is the new way to win.

BTW Bet this gives Patrick a big boost.......and a podium position! Then he can retire!

gmyers

Record Breaker
He was born in 1987. Does that mean he is soviet? He would have been 4 when it collapsed.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Is anyone really surprised that Plushie withdrew? The timing is perfect -- just after other major players like Johnny and Evan have announced they will not be going to World's. I agree with a previous poster --- with all the posturing that the Russians and Plushie have done with regards to the quad and his supremacy on ice.......everyone will be looking at his program construction and PCS value in nano detail! The new system is no longer 'new' and it is time that all ISU members realize they have to either play the game by CoP or get out. Change is here and maximizing points is the new way to win.

BTW Bet this gives Patrick a big boost.......and a podium position! Then he can retire!

I would rather see a quad than a spread eagle into a triple flip.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Spread eagle into triple has become boring, but ina bauer into a triple in men I like it, Hanyu did a great one in Juniors:love:

Big Deal

Final Flight
I think, the big PR ballon just has collapsed.
As long as he cannot have inflated points, he cannot win. Judges has send him a clear sign, he will get what he deserves.
He is a clever man, and "read" this message.
The atmosphere of the competition will be much better without him.
His poor sportmanship in Vancouver will be remembered....

Last edited by a moderator:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
When Dai was number one at the Grand Prix Final and then plunged to five was that nerves or old injury?

I thought it was nerves. He came out strong in 4CC to place OTP at Worlds in 2008. I thought that had to do with nerves as well (the pressure to deliver again). No one will ever know for sure, but I have a feeling Dai won't cope well with being the favorite to win. He's rarely been in that position before (... but of course, I'm hoping I'm proven wrong).

gmyers

Record Breaker
I thought it was nerves. He came out strong in 4CC to place OTP at Worlds in 2008. I thought that had to do with nerves as well (the pressure to deliver again). No one will ever know for sure, but I have a feeling Dai won't cope well with being the favorite to win. He's rarely been in that position before (... but of course, I'm hoping I'm proven wrong).

The 4cc/worlds chronology is something that I was missing. Thanks for that because now there is a fuller picture for me. It does seem like a nerves thing so I hope Dai delievers but since Joubert is unsteady and the air has seemingly gone out of the Oda balloon it could be Chan.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Dài has improved with each event his season. At the GP and GPF he was not trained well enough yet after recouperating from his surgery. He skated his best of the season in Vanouver, and was perfect if had not gone for the quad. If he chooses to play to safe like Evan in Torino, but he could win easily. But if he keeps improving at his usual rate he will skate clean with the quad. I hope he can pull it off either way. His both of his programs are favs of mine this season and what a great comeback story.

Of course I really want to see Abbott win the whole thing but i follow him on Twitter and sadly I don't see that happening.