Who will jump quad in the Worlds after Plush has withdrawn? | Golden Skate

Who will jump quad in the Worlds after Plush has withdrawn?

Trewyn

Medalist
You're probably right. Without Verner, Plush, Lambiel there doesn't seem to be anyone who's certain to attempt a quad at Worlds. Men that may be considering it:
- Jeremy Abbott; he always said he goes for the quad because 'he can'; I can't remember; did he fell on it at the Olympics?
- Adrian Schultheiss; landed a perfect one at the Olympics and really, really needs one to be in the running.
- Daisuke Takahashi; was brave enough to go for it at the Olympics, but it looks like he may not need it to win here.
- Takahiko Kozuka and Nobunari Oda; known to land it in practice once in a while; Kozuka attempts it in competition sometimes; doesn't look like they'll try it here; though Oda could use it to beat Takahashi and Abbott if the latter two leave the element out.

EDIT: oh yeah; Joubert will definitely go for it (at least very likely); Bradley? I'm not sure.. He *did* break his foot!

raress

On the Ice
JOUBERT , VORONOV, R BRADLEY, K REYNOLDS AND MAYBE J ABBOTT and the Japanese boys.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
.....and maybe Miki will dust off her quad.......;)

Haha, I would love that :love:. Kevin Reynolds too, he does 4sal and 4toe right? Apparently Brezina lands really nice quads in practice, maybe he will go for it in his LP if he's striving for the podium?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
JOUBERT , VORONOV, R BRADLEY, K REYNOLDS AND MAYBE J ABBOTT and the Japanese boys.

Yeah. Maybe not Oda, but Dai certainly will go for it in the free. As for the SP probably on Joubert, Bradeley and Reynolds will try them. Who will land them? Who knows? I Say Joubert and Reynolds will land at least one each.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Haha, I would love that :love:. Kevin Reynolds too, he does 4sal and 4toe right? Apparently Brezina lands really nice quads in practice, maybe he will go for it in his LP if he's striving for the podium?

exactly. I think quite a few of the up and coming or outside-shot guys will attempt it to try to get an edge and push themselves up in the standings.

maybe the quad should be worth a bit more ... but you do already get the extra points for it so I think quite a few guys will go for it.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I hope Amodio and Brezina go for it. They are in perfect position to afford some risks. I was disappointed Florent didn't even attempt one in Vancouver as Sandra pointed out.

Without Plush and an overdue Lambiel in the mix, one might think a quad is not necessary, but the remainder of the contestants are basically very close to each other in Tech. (Praise to be their styles are different.) However, to put icing on a cake of gold, if they all skate comfortably without a quad, they will still need something to show they are first place material. A number of the skaters have landed quads in some sort of competition, but as we know that a once-in-awhile Quad wont do. It must be right-on for a Worlds.

I would recommend the following to attempt (they have more to merit if they do not land one perfectly): Abbott and Takahashi. Joubert is expected because he has landed quads more than 85% of the time. (I don't count practices.) If the three each land a quad, they will be the podium. The order of placement, I do not know. If one of them falters, he could be replaced by a number of Men waiting in line. Maybe Michal Brezina?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Exactly. 2010 Olympics will be the last competition a quad was done. Now its all going to be spread eagles and ina bauers into triples or doubles. FUN!!!! So lame.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Nobody. They do not have to.
Blah, Plushenko, during the time he took off after the 2006 Olympics, we have seen plenty of quads in competitions.

Besides, I could not care less, LOL. I appreciate skaters who have difficult choreography, if they also have a quad, that´s a plus. Plushenko has just jumps, his spins are not really good, footwork is not what it used to be... His choreography is very lacking and boring, IMO. I will not miss his skating at Worlds..., but it would have been interesting to see, if the judges finally are judging his PCS the way it should have been done in Europeans and the Olympics.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Exactly. 2010 Olympics will be the last competition a quad was done. Now its all going to be spread eagles and ina bauers into triples or doubles. FUN!!!! So lame.

That's tad dramatic. There has been no dominant male figure in the last quad precisely because no one had a consistent quad or two combined with quality skating like Yags, Plushenko or even pre-2007 Lambiel.

seniorita

Record Breaker
but it would have been interesting to see, if the judges finally are judging his PCS the way it should have been done in Europeans and the Olympics.

Nah, They would probably give him the same reputation marks as past Olympic and past World champion plus the Plushenko bonus, pretty much the same thing that boosted Lysacek's pcs since last year by 10 points. To put the things in its place cause well you have been saying it like everywhere.
Plushenko was overscored in pcs. I m the first to say it. Now since the judges for all the rest did a great job, I suppose you believe Lysacek is a 82+ pcs material skater. In the planet where Takahashi and Lambiel should have 92 Pcs probably. Cause sometimes we look only in one direction...
And you forgot about the Goe. It is the new trend.

If you demand good job from all the judges, well, I demand it for all skaters and not for my non favorites only.

They might start with Kozuka pcs to be better for example.

Last edited:

Big Deal

Final Flight
All of you, who crying for quads MUST be an orthopedic surgeon, beeing affraid losing your job without making hip-surgery, and hip-replacement for young people, who used to be figure skaters!!!
I'm a surgeon. PLEASE, stop to do it.I personally don't like to see consistent injuries, very short carriers because of surgeries, and lame young people, being 30-35, and not able to walk properly because of their former attempts of quad jumps in the training!!
Please, have a bit more empathy and less attitude of "Panem et circenses"!

Last edited by a moderator:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope Amodio and Brezina go for it. They are in perfect position to afford some risks. I was disappointed Florent didn't even attempt one in Vancouver as Sandra pointed out.

Amodio does 4sal which is a lot tougher than 4toe. I hope to see him, Brezina, Reynolds, and Fernandez all go for it, they might as well where they have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

gmyers

Record Breaker
That's tad dramatic. There has been no dominant male figure in the last quad precisely because no one had a consistent quad or two combined with quality skating like Yags, Plushenko or even pre-2007 Lambiel.

It is a little over dramatic but the judges are liking skaters without quads more now-and skaters need the judges to win

All of you, who crying for quads MUST be an orthopedic surgeon, beeing affraid losing your job without making hip-surgery, and hip-replacement for young people, who used to be figure skaters!!!
I'm a surgeon. PLEASE, stop to do it.I personally don't like to see consistent injuries, very short carriers because of surgeries, and lame young people, being 30-35, and not able to walk properly because of their former attempts of quad jumps in the training!!
Please, have a bit more empathy and less attitude of "Panem et circenses"!

There are lots of tough things about figure skating that damages bodies but as long as people want to win they will do what it takes. Like Tara Lipinski -it is very very tough on girls when they do triple triples but that is what wins. It is the total quad for ladies. She was damaged by triple triples like yagudein/plushenko/other guys with quads.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Joubert will go for two quads, one in SP and one in LP. I don't remember when was the last time that he didn't have a quad in his programs? It seems he always does.

Abbott will have a quad in LP. It seems that he always goes with his plan and is not the type of person who switches around his jumps during performances, or take out, add on jumps according to the performances of others. Besides, he needs it.

Takahashi might again has one in LP. But there is a possibility that he might play safe this time around since he could get the PCS that no one could match in this field.

Chan doesn't have one. His goal is to have two clean 3As in LP.

Oda won't have one. I think he is too nervous to actually put it into his program.

Kozuka will have one again in the LP, just to extend his quad's mile-age and make him more competitive.

Bradley will have one (probably not two since he's injured his foot.) to fight for the top 10 finish.

Reynolds will have one just because he always had one.

Over all, I think that there is a great chance (I hope not) that we'll see another quadless World Champion.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
So according to surgeons opinion, before quads there were no injuries, all skaters prior to 1988 were leaving the sport healthy and happy.
I didnt know that. I guess in gymnastics since there is no quad not even triple, it is a safer sport.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Are you serious having this childish answer ?

Who did quads? Yagudin, Lambiel, Kulik, Takahashi, Oda.
Who has to cut his carrier or hang it up because of serious injuries? These one's and Plushenko.

Which ladies did 3-3s in the end of their carrier? Lipinski, Hughes, Ito, Meissner. Are their carrier took long?
The longlasting skaters did 3-3s in the end of their carrier? Slutskaya? Kwan? Arakawa?

So, I still prefer to has longlasting carrier by those who can entertain us.

I cannot understand, how gymnastic comes to that picture. Yes, it is a terribly destroying sport.
I would never allow my children to take THAT sport. I've seen too many destroyed human joins because of elite sport.