Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who will jump quad in the Worlds after Plush has withdrawn?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    I hope Amodio and Brezina go for it. They are in perfect position to afford some risks. I was disappointed Florent didn't even attempt one in Vancouver as Sandra pointed out.
    Amodio does 4sal which is a lot tougher than 4toe. I hope to see him, Brezina, Reynolds, and Fernandez all go for it, they might as well where they have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    That's tad dramatic. There has been no dominant male figure in the last quad precisely because no one had a consistent quad or two combined with quality skating like Yags, Plushenko or even pre-2007 Lambiel.
    It is a little over dramatic but the judges are liking skaters without quads more now-and skaters need the judges to win

Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    All of you, who crying for quads MUST be an orthopedic surgeon, beeing affraid losing your job without making hip-surgery, and hip-replacement for young people, who used to be figure skaters!!!
    I'm a surgeon. PLEASE, stop to do it.I personally don't like to see consistent injuries, very short carriers because of surgeries, and lame young people, being 30-35, and not able to walk properly because of their former attempts of quad jumps in the training!!
    Please, have a bit more empathy and less attitude of "Panem et circenses"!
    There are lots of tough things about figure skating that damages bodies but as long as people want to win they will do what it takes. Like Tara Lipinski -it is very very tough on girls when they do triple triples but that is what wins. It is the total quad for ladies. She was damaged by triple triples like yagudein/plushenko/other guys with quads.

Custom Title
    Joubert will go for two quads, one in SP and one in LP. I don't remember when was the last time that he didn't have a quad in his programs? It seems he always does.

Abbott will have a quad in LP. It seems that he always goes with his plan and is not the type of person who switches around his jumps during performances, or take out, add on jumps according to the performances of others. Besides, he needs it.

Takahashi might again has one in LP. But there is a possibility that he might play safe this time around since he could get the PCS that no one could match in this field.

Chan doesn't have one. His goal is to have two clean 3As in LP.

Oda won't have one. I think he is too nervous to actually put it into his program.

Kozuka will have one again in the LP, just to extend his quad's mile-age and make him more competitive.

Bradley will have one (probably not two since he's injured his foot.) to fight for the top 10 finish.

Reynolds will have one just because he always had one.

Over all, I think that there is a great chance (I hope not) that we'll see another quadless World Champion.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-20-2010 at 10:20 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    So according to surgeons opinion, before quads there were no injuries, all skaters prior to 1988 were leaving the sport healthy and happy.
    I didnt know that. I guess in gymnastics since there is no quad not even triple, it is a safer sport.

Custom Title
    Are you serious having this childish answer ?

Who did quads? Yagudin, Lambiel, Kulik, Takahashi, Oda.
    Who has to cut his carrier or hang it up because of serious injuries? These one's and Plushenko.

Which ladies did 3-3s in the end of their carrier? Lipinski, Hughes, Ito, Meissner. Are their carrier took long?
    The longlasting skaters did 3-3s in the end of their carrier? Slutskaya? Kwan? Arakawa?

So, I still prefer to has longlasting carrier by those who can entertain us.

I cannot understand, how gymnastic comes to that picture. Yes, it is a terribly destroying sport.
    I would never allow my children to take THAT sport. I've seen too many destroyed human joins because of elite sport.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    It was sarcasm. I wanted to say it is not only the quad that ends up in serious injuries.

Actually lambiel apart from his hip destroyed also his knees by practicing the spins we all love to watch and applaud. Anything that is practiced more than the norm that anyone else can do so well ends up in injuries. I didn't see anyone wanting Lambiel to stop his spins. And while he has said this season how much pain he felt practicing them so he was skipping them.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Well, I'm not a surgeon, but I've been a dancer, dance teacher , dance aficionado and avid skating fan for many years.There's no question that the pounding skaters joints receive from their jumps is far worse than that suffered by dancers or gymnasts. The added force that comes from speed and landing on a hard surface has got to be extra punishment.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect athletes not to try to challenge themselves ( they will challenge themselves , no matter what we think , anyway ),but I think it's a good thing that abilities other than jumping are being given greater focus these days.Just think..longer careers for our favourites. Who can object to that? And it's got to be a more rewarding experience for all fans to watch a well rounded skater than a one trick pony.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    Are you serious having this childish answer ?
    If anyone, I think you're being the most childish, being so aggressive on a message board like that.

Chill out, and keep Goldenskate a friendly environment, will you?

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    In regard to Lambiel having pain in his knees during spins, I greatly suspect that part of this may be due to the wear and tear caused by jumps to begin with.

Custom Title
    Yeah, given that Lambiel was a quad guy too, it's hard to blame just the spins. Hell, I'd argue that Plushenko attempting those crazy combinations (3A-4T) caused more damage than good.

Bradley, Abott, Joubert, Reynolds, and Takahashi will go for the quad. So will Voronov and Fernandez. Amodio might. So eight people. And the quad crowd will make the exact same complaints they always make without really engaging in the debate (and in fairness, the debate generally falls into the category of "Well, that's what I want to see," which means that debate is pointless).

I'm sure several men at least will attempt it, most of the ones people listed here. Sure, they might not HAVE to, but some of them probably WANT to. They are competitive people, after all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Bradley, Abott, Joubert, Reynolds, and Takahashi will go for the quad. So will Voronov and Fernandez.
    So will Kozuka. He seems to have been forgotten in this discussion, but he landed a beauty at the Olympics.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    Takahashi might again has one in LP. But there is a possibility that he might play safe this time around since he could get the PCS that no one could match in this field.
    I can't imagine Takahashi will play it safe. He seems to be one of those guys who believe that a skater should challenge. I saw his interview on TV right after his FP at the Olys. ( at the time the final result had not been concluded yet ) Asked about the fall on the quad, he answered that if he hadn't attemped a quad at the Olys ,(since it was going to be his last Olys) he would regret it for the rest of his life even if he could win a medal.
    Last edited by Hanaka; 03-23-2010 at 04:53 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenpleasures View Post
    So will Kozuka. He seems to have been forgotten in this discussion, but he landed a beauty at the Olympics.
    for some reason most judges gave it negative GOE

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Did I read somewhere that Reynolds has a Quad-triple-triple? He's also landing quad-toe and quad-sal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast